With the price drop...what camera should I buy?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

guerrass

Re: With the price drop...what camera should I buy?

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 6:52 pm

Any cheaper option to the Switronix Power Base (300$)?

Abobakr M. Alshiblie

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 7:20 pm

guerrass wrote:Any cheaper option to the Switronix Power Base (300$)?

Ikan makes cheap battery solution for the bmcc.. The adapterr costs around 70$++// you can choose it with different battery mount

guerrass

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 8:07 pm

Abobakr M. Alshiblie wrote:
guerrass wrote:Any cheaper option to the Switronix Power Base (300$)?

Ikan makes cheap battery solution for the bmcc.. The adapterr costs around 70$++// you can choose it with different battery mount

Sorry, how does it work? And do I have to buy?

Abobakr M. Alshiblie

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 8:26 pm

guerrass wrote:
Sorry, how does it work? And do I have to buy?

guerrass

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 8:54 pm

Abobakr M. Alshiblie wrote:

[url]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ikan-BP2T-C-Canon-DV-Battery-Plate-/151088221181?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232d8f4bfd
[/url]

This one, right? With what kind of canon batteries will it work ?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 9:34 pm

Concerning "affordable" batteries for the BMCC, refer also to a previous thread on the topic:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8588

-

guerrass

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 4:53 am

Abobakr M. Alshiblie wrote:Ikan makes cheap battery solution for the bmcc.. The adapterr costs around 70$++// you can choose it with different battery mount

What kind of canon batteries work with the Ikan BP2T-C Canon DV Battery Plate? And is there any way to fix the plate in a shoulder grip?
Thnaks ;)

sebasti

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 6:49 am

guerrass wrote:What kind of canon batteries work with the Ikan BP2T-C Canon DV Battery Plate? And is there any way to fix the plate in a shoulder grip?
Thnaks ;)

I opened the link you yourself posted, it says there clearly Series 900. You should go to Ikan's homepage to check what products they have to see what are you choices and what they say about compatibility there. If you did that you'd also know they have special plate for BMCC and it comes with belt clip (which doesn't sound very convenient but maybe it works for you). They even have simple quick start guides. I know this because I went to check the Ikan's page. People are pointing you to the correct directions but you can't expect them to do all the work for you.

For fixing stuff in your rig depends what kind of rig you plan to use:
1) The accessory is rod mountable... if your rig has standard 15mm rods then the accessories that come with rod mount can be attached to the rods.
2) The Accessory has screw holes... you can screw the accessory to accessory plate (which you need to buy or it maybe included with your rig, there are camera specific plates that can be mounted directly on to cameras, and plates that are attached to the rods of your rig), cage (which you need to buy or it maybe included with your rig) or if I remember correctly even directly to the top of BMCC. That is if the accessory has standard size screws that most cameras, plates, cages have. These are the same two screw sizes you see used with tripod plates.
3) There are many kinds of "adapter" parts available that allow you to change the screw size, add a cold-shoe etc if needed. You might also consider DIY solutions... easiest DIY is to use gaffer tape which I don't recommend, but you might need to, for example if you are on the road and something breaks apart and you didn't happen to bring a spare.

Now I would strongly advise you to not buy the cheapest possible stuff because you will notice soon that it is not good enough, not convenient to use, design has problems etc making your whole package flimsy. Also if the mounting options are not standard, then mounting it will be lot harder. There's a saying where I come from which translates to english as "Poor people can't afford to buy cheap stuff". Now I'm not saying you are poor but if you only have little money to spend on this, you can't afford to buy the cheap stuff because you will have to replace it with better stuff very soon. Also selling cheap stuff away later will be much harder than stuff that is considered to be professional. If you go with too small tripod for the weight of your rig, not only will you not be able to get any smooth pans and tilts from it, but you will also break the head and then it won't work even with the cameras it could have supported.

If you want to see professional stuff go to local rental company to check out the standards and see how things work and how they are put together. Go to local store and see what they have, test it out.
Last edited by sebasti on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ryan Jones

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 6:52 am

What are you shooting? Makes a huge difference...

Abobakr M. Alshiblie

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 11:54 am

guerrass wrote:What kind of canon batteries work with the Ikan BP2T-C Canon DV Battery Plate? And is there any way to fix the plate in a shoulder grip?
Thnaks ;)

I am not exactly sure about that one. because I'm afraid the cable won't work on the bmcc.. it doesn't say anything on the description.. better contact Ikan and see what they tell you if it would work or not. There are many different mounting options models Ikan provide.. you can mount it on top of the camera or to any 1/4" hole, or to the rails or around your belt..

http://ikancorp.com/productlisting.php?id=128
Previous

Return to Cinematography