Is Blackmagic listening to their customers?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Merano Winterstein

Is Blackmagic listening to their customers?

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 2:30 am

A lot of people got their BMCC just now for 3k. Now new customers can have it for 2k!
3k was already cheap for a camera like this, but 1k is still a lot money for many people!
Not even a "sorry"??
Does Blackmagic only care about new customers?

I used to be a new customer a few days ago!
After 4 weeks of using this camera i am an uninteresting human for this company??
This is simply not fair and i hope those people writing comments to make us feel bad complaining are not payed by Blackmagic to do so, be cause nobody else from Blackmagic seems to respond to any unhappy customers comment!
I feel happy for everybody getting their camera that cheap and i am happy for Blackmagic getting new customers and more money cause they deserve it for their amazing work...
BUT nobody seems to care about us people who payed 1k more a few days ago!
Customers are humans

Jules Bushell

Re: Is Blackmagic listening to their customers?

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 3:21 am

This is another me me me post.

Without Blackmagic, I'd have to buy a Scarlett with accessories, I can be easily be paying an extra 10k+. So I consider I save that amount of money.

Blackmagic Design are revolutionising the high end quality camera business, making it affordable for the masses. I'm curious to why people miss completely the great revolutionary things they are doing for us and go completely crazy on dissing them.

Am I missing something?

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Jules Bushell

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 3:37 am

I think this is my conclusion, my thoughts...

That we as a species have not evolved yet far enough beyond primates. If we were more evolved, we'd be more altruistic. We'd be congratulating Blackmagic yet again for bringing RAW to even more of our brothers and sisters :)

Jules
Jules Bushell

David Jorgensen

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 3:55 am

They are indeed creating innovative and affordable cameras (with some glaring and still unaddressed flaws). That is awesome and I mostly love mine. But they are also terrible at communicating with and showing appreciation for their paying customers. They don't acknowledge technical flaws in the cameras and the way they ignored customers who waited months and months and months for cameras is inexcusable. Implementing a massive price cut shortly after finally shipping MFT cameras to their most loyal and patient customers who paid full price is a bad move. They should have waited. They should also be sympathetic with those customers who are angry about it.

Being innovative does NOT excuse bad customer service and what appears to be flat out contempt for the people who have spent thousands of dollars on their products and trusted them to deliver what they promised when they promised. They have failed on both of those fronts. People are very justified in their anger. Blackmagic isn't a charity, they are a business and people pay good money for their products. They aren't giving them away or losing money in the name of art. This idea we should be "grateful" to them is utterly absurd.

When you buy something for $3000, you have a right to expect it to work as advertised and to be delivered when promised. That cost in relation to a RED or any other camera is irrelevant. If I buy a $10 DVD on Amazon and it is scratched or doesn't arrive on time, I get top notch customer service immediately. I don't get lesser customer service because I didn't buy the $20 blu ray. You spend $3000 on a blackmagic MFT camera and it doesn't arrive for 8 months, there are no shipping updates, emails are ignored, the camera doesn't work as promised, there is no communication about when things will be fixed, and then the price is cut by $1000 a month later with no acknowledgement of the loyal customers who just got screwed. That's BS.

I talked to several of the blackmagic folks at NAB this year and they seemed like a decent bunch. So the contempt they seem to display towards their customers is a mystery to me.

Chris Quevedo

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 4:38 am

litemakr wrote:They are indeed creating innovative and affordable cameras (with some glaring and still unaddressed flaws). That is awesome and I mostly love mine. But they are also terrible at communicating with and showing appreciate for their paying customers. They don't acknowledge technical flaws in the cameras and the way they ignored customers who waited months and months and months for cameras is inexcusable. Implementing a massive price cut shortly after finally shipping MFT cameras to their most loyal and patient customers who paid full price is a bad move. They should have waited. They should also be sympathetic with those customers who are angry about it.

Being innovative does NOT excuse bad customer service and what appears to be flat out contempt for the people who have spent thousands of dollars on their products and trusted them to deliver what they promised when they promised. They have failed on both of those fronts. People are very justified in their anger. Blackmagic isn't a charity, they are a business and people pay good money for their products. They aren't giving them away or losing money in the name of art. This idea we should be "grateful" to them is utterly absurd.

When you buy something for $3000, you have a right to expect it to work as advertised and to be delivered when promised. That cost in relation to a RED or any other camera is irrelevant. If I buy a $10 DVD on Amazon and it is scratched or doesn't arrive on time, I get top notch customer service immediately. I don't get lesser customer service because I didn't buy the $20 blu ray. You spend $3000 on a blackmagic MFT camera and it doesn't arrive for 8 months, there are no shipping updates, emails are ignored, the camera doesn't work as promised, there is no communication about when things will be fixed, and then the price is cut by $1000 a month later with no acknowledgement of the loyal customers who just got screwed. That's BS.

I talked to several of the blackmagic folks at NAB this year and they seemed like a decent bunch. So the contempt they seem to display towards their customers is a mystery to me.

i disagree, and here's why. this is a cheap camera to begin with. it was cheap before the price dropped and its cheaper now too. you act as if you've lost massive amounts invested in this. i argue that if you say this its because you're a budget film maker who has less disposable income than some of our friends in Hollywood. now thats an assumption and i could be wrong. also there is nothing wrong with being in a low-budget. but the cinematography industry is not made for low-budget customers.

dslr cameras have made cinematography more accessible, this is true, but this entire industry is based on lots of gear that costs boat loads of money.

they are not a camera company. they are a post company. the best way to sell post products is to have your customers use cameras that shoot in RAW format, cause then they get the most out of what blackmagic sells and color grading with their software makes more sense. but selinse RAW cameras are hard to come by at an affordable price, they make some cameras. not so they can enter the camera game, but rather in my opinion to sell you their post equipment that is compatible. so they drive the camera price as low as they can to make the cost of their post equipment more affordable.

its a bridge to get us to purchase their other stuff and to set us up to need their software and increase their clientele base. I'm not convinced that its bad business. keep camera costs down and hope for their sales to go up and they might up sell us on other equipment down the road.

I'm not convinced its bad business because everyone bought it. therefore, when they purchased it they agreed by voting with their cash that they felt it was worth it to pay that amount, especially because the cheap cost of the camera meant you could make back your investment faster by getting paying jobs. anyone that isn't getting paying jobs or got this camera as a hobby? well they are early adopters I'm afraid, and that was a gamble and risk you took when you put down your pre-order.

i do not agree with the statement that the customer is always right. i believe thats a bunch of crap. the customer has no idea what they want. that's what advertising is for, to tell the customer what they want. they have done a masterful job of telling the consumer to want their products and its working, and they now take our money hand over fist.

when a company with that much power to push the button in your brain that is labelled "buy our camera now" decides to tell you "ya know what guys? we don't need as much of your money as we thought we did to make profit margins." the response should not be like this in my opinion. i think it should be, "thank goodness you didn't realize that from the # of cameras you push out the door that you could be charging twice as much!!! thank you for not deciding to take more of money by jacking the price up!"

need we all be reminded that the closest comparable cameras by way of feature set costs thousands upon thousands of $$$? i don't write this post to sound negative of mean but realistic to the reality that any perceived inconvenience was voluntarily entered upon when the consumer makes a purchase

Dustin Uy

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 5:17 am

Other cameras are irrelevant.

A product is a product Regardless of its price.

Customer is customer

as a company they need to give a grace period for those who bought it near the price change. Maybe a month or less. Its a bait and switch if you dont honor those who bought it just a few weeks you announced it's price drop.

Same reason its criminal to sell your shares when you have insider knowledge of what will happen a week after

I for one am very happy for the price drop. I just think having a grace period is important not only for customers but blackmagic's customer relations as well.

Now im still awaiting for my dealer's response regarding this.so id be very pissed if theres no refund. Im very optimistic it wont be a problem

nonlinearedits

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 5:56 am

dustinuy wrote:Other cameras are irrelevant.

Customer is customer

as a company they need to give a grace period for those who bought it near the price change. Maybe a month or less. Its a bait and switch if you dont honor those who bought it just a few weeks you announced it's price drop.

Same reason its criminal to sell your shares when you have insider knowledge of what will happen a week after

I for one am very happy for the price drop. I just think having a grace period is important not only for customers but blackmagic's customer relations as well.

Now im still awaiting for my dealer's response regarding this.so id be very pissed if theres no refund. Im very optimistic it wont be a problem

A 100% agree with you. I'm too far past when I bought mine to fight my distributor. But regardless, my first BMCC came broken, my second BMCC came broken... I waited a year an a month, got two broken cameras and now find out I could have saved $1000 if I waited a tiny bit longer. This is BS. If they created a program to give the people who got cams since they started shipping 3 months ago to get a pocket cam or shuttle or something, I would be extremely appreciative... or even if it was a small credit toward something else... just something to say "Hey sorry you were screwed... it wasn't our intention."

I seriously had better customer service from an eBay company in Hong Kong who sold me a broken phone battery.

Lorenzo Straight

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 6:08 am

Grant said they've found a way to build the cameras for less. They're just passing those savings on to their customers. Now you can get your B-Cam for less.
MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-4K-605-2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-5700HQ (Broadwell)-16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM-1TB 7200 rpm HDD + 128GB M.2 SSD-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M GPU (6GB GDDR5)-15.6" UHD + 4K IPS Display-3840 x 2160
-Windows 8.1

earl riddick

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 7:23 am

nonlinearedits wrote:
dustinuy wrote:Other cameras are irrelevant.

Customer is customer

A 100% agree with you. I'm too far past when I bought mine to fight my distributor. But regardless, my first BMCC came broken, my second BMCC came broken... I waited a year an a month, got two broken cameras and now find out I could have saved $1000 if I waited a tiny bit longer. This is BS. If they created a program to give the people who got cams since they started shipping 3 months ago to get a pocket cam or shuttle or something, I would be extremely appreciative... or even if it was a small credit toward something else... just something to say "Hey sorry you were screwed... it wasn't our intention."

I seriously had better customer service from an eBay company in Hong Kong who sold me a broken phone battery.

exactly my point, terrible quality control, problem with stock, firmware poorly update, problem after problem after problem and then this. I'm absolutely positive that none of the team at bmd have meant this to be a HUGE slap in the face to there current customer base because im sure grant and the team are all lovely nice people, but the way this entire en-devour has been approached from the beginning has been farcical and this is just the final slap in the long standing dedicated customers face.

John Bartman

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 7:51 am

Mark Davies

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 8:12 am

merano wrote:A lot of people got their BMCC just now for 3k. Now new customers can have it for 2k!
3k was already cheap for a camera like this, but 1k is still a lot money for many people!
Not even a "sorry"??

After 4 weeks of using this camera i am an uninteresting human for this company??
This is simply not fair and i hope those people writing comments to make us feel bad complaining are not payed by Blackmagic to do so, be cause nobody else from Blackmagic seems to respond to any unhappy customers comment!
I feel happy for everybody getting their camera that cheap and i am happy for Blackmagic getting new customers and more money cause they deserve it for their amazing work...
Customers are humans

The reason for buying this camera is for its RAW and Pro res capability This is for professional film making that is fit for a cinema screen and as such involves buying filters Matte box Lenses and high quality ones to match the camera's ability Otherwise what is the point. These items will be much more than the camera But then you will also need a crew to operate the camera as well as someone for lighting and for sound recording. Really if you bought this for one man operation then why?? You should have bought a camera with inbuilt filters and lower quality where cheapo lenses will not be a retrograde step.
If I bought the camera a few days ago I would have paid the price and thought I was getting a bargain. Nothings changed Just that it's a bigger bargain now.. But I would have the ability to make a feature film and that's all I care about I wouldn't be on this forum I'd be out formulating my workflow and amazed at what I can now do.

Seriously I just don't get these poor old me posts and lost resale value. Are you guys for real or has this camera attracted all the wrong people for all the wrong reasons. Poor buying choices is not Black magic's fault. If you really need RAW and pro res This at anything up to £7000 is a fantastic solution If you don't then you made so many wrong decisions on so many levels. Stupidity is not Black magic's fault.
Mark Davies

earl riddick

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 8:23 am

Mark2929 wrote:
merano wrote:A lot of people got their BMCC just now for 3k. Now new customers can have it for 2k!
Not even a "sorry"??

Customers are humans

The reason for buying this camera is for its RAW and Pro res capability This is for professional film making that is fit for a cinema screen and as such involves buying filters Matte box Lenses and high quality ones to match the camera's ability Otherwise what is the point. These items will be much more than the camera But then you will also need a crew to operate the camera as well as someone for lighting and for sound recording. Really if you bought this for one man operation then why?? You should have bought a camera with inbuilt filters and lower quality where cheapo lenses will not be a retrograde step.
If I bought the camera a few days ago I would have paid the price and thought I was getting a bargain. Nothings changed Just that it's a bigger bargain now.. But I would have the ability to make a feature film and that's all I care about I wouldn't be on this forum I'd be out formulating my workflow and amazed at what I can now do.

Seriously I just don't get these poor old me posts and lost resale value. Are you guys for real or has this camera attracted all the wrong people for all the wrong reasons. Poor buying choices is not Black magic's fault. If you really need RAW and pro res This at anything up to £7000 is a fantastic solution If you don't then you made so many wrong decisions on so many levels. Stupidity is not Black magic's fault.

is it really the customers poor buying decision/fault that some of us had to wait over a year for our preorders to be for filled then within a month of getting the camera they hit us with this bombshell. expect people to be unhappy because theres plenty of time to be pissed during takes and light and sound checks. its not about the money, everyone at every price its been bought at so far has had a great deal. its about the way in which this whole thing has been dealt with and most importantly its about the poor message bmd has sent out to its long standing customers from the beginning straw, camels, back

John Bartman

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 8:37 am

is it really the customers poor buying decision/fault that some of us had to wait over a year for our preorders to be for filled then within a month of getting the camera they hit us with this bombshell. expect people to be unhappy because theres plenty of time to be pissed during takes and light and sound checks. its not about the money, everyone at every price its been bought at so far has had a great deal. its about the way in which this whole thing has been dealt with and most importantly its about the poor message bmd has sent out to its long standing customers from the beginning straw, camels, back

WELL PUT!

Mark Davies

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 12:03 pm

jj tokenslot wrote:
Mark2929 wrote:
Not even a "sorry"??

Customers are humans

The sensor issues wasn't BMD's fault.
The so called delays happening currently are minor
The price drop on the BMCC is nothing for you to worry about. (You bought your camera)
As for BM slapping you in the face Get real..
Stop worrying about what it cost you and who has what and the she said he said posts. Go out and use the tool you bought that has been denied you for years and puts you in the league of pro equipment at below entry level prices.
Mark Davies

John Bartman

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 1:46 pm

Stop worrying about what it cost you and who has what and the she said he said posts. Go out and use the tool you bought that has been denied you for years and puts you in the league of pro equipment at below entry level prices.

PRO equiptment? hardly, not with those audio issues!

Andrew Reid

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 2:13 pm

Jules Bushell wrote:This is another me me me post.

Without Blackmagic, I'd have to buy a Scarlett with accessories, I can be easily be paying an extra 10k+. So I consider I save that amount of money.

Blackmagic Design are revolutionising the high end quality camera business, making it affordable for the masses. I'm curious to why people miss completely the great revolutionary things they are doing for us and go completely crazy on dissing them.

I 100% support making serious cinematography tools affordable for the masses. This is my guiding principle at EOSHD and why I have no interest having a Cinema EOS camera as part of my filmmaking. It was GH2 all the way and now it is affordable raw, great stuff.

However to enable the masses you must make massive quantities of camera.

Jules Bushell wrote:Am I missing something?

Yes. 2012. Do you remember?
British filmmaker and editor of EOSHD

John Bartman

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 2:16 pm

Is it true that you will be able to buy the pocket CAM for under 500 USD in november?

Thats great! I'll wait!

Jules Bushell

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 3:32 pm

Andrew Reid wrote:
Jules Bushell wrote:
Jules Bushell wrote:Am I missing something?

Yes. 2012. Do you remember?

Yes, I waited 11 months for my BMCC. But I feel really lucky just to have a camera now that can shoot RAW. These are happy times.

My concern really is that now that there are a whole new wave of filmmakers that can shoot cinema quality, where are the outlets to screen them?

In the UK, the cinema chains are pretty much sewn up to US films with $100 million budget. I've nothing against US big budget films, love them as much as anyone else. But that is only what;s available apart from the odd exception. The current movie business environment doesn't allow for variety.

So now we have a revolution in camera tech, we need another revolution in the distribution and theatrical screenings.

Jules
Jules Bushell

bhook

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 3:38 pm

Jules Bushell wrote:My concern really is that now that there are a whole new wave of filmmakers that can shoot cinema quality, where are the outlets to screen them?

That would be the Internet, where IQ advantages are gr8ly diluted and workflow disadvantages are more significant.

If you have the time, look at this Youtube "feature" and tell me that it would be "more" if it had been shot with a raw camera.

Guisphoto

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 4:17 pm

I received the camera on monday. One of the first MFT cameras in Spain. I was on holiday so I could not pick it up (also I could not payed it) . I call my distributor and told him that, of course, the price must be the last one. He answered me that they have payed at the first price. I think they have a problem because I am not going to pay 800€ more. This is unacceptable. In the case of the MFT cameras, in Europe all of them arrived last week. This is not a market question, this is not a technology question, this is a respect question. respect for loyal customers who have waited one year for a MFT camera. Do you think we are stupid?, is this the way for paying the patient of your most loyal customers?. this is a shame.
Alberto Ros
http://vimeo.com/guis

bhook

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 4:22 pm

Why don't you send it back for a refund and buy it from someone else at the new price?

Jules Bushell

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 4:09 am

mhood wrote:
Jules Bushell wrote:My concern really is that now that there are a whole new wave of filmmakers that can shoot cinema quality, where are the outlets to screen them?

That would be the Internet, where IQ advantages are gr8ly diluted and workflow disadvantages are more significant.

If you have the time, look at this Youtube "feature" and tell me that it would be "more" if it had been shot with a raw camera.

The same things have to be there; great story, dialogue (or other communicative expression), great acting....

If you don't have the basics covered then RAW is not going to help much.

Jules
Jules Bushell

earl riddick

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 4:58 am

as ive said countless times jules its not about the money its about trusting a company upon which you have built a relationship to make the correct decisions by the customers. we'll see if you feel the same when you have problems getting your bmcc fixed under warranty or getting a replacement dongle for resolve cause your current one fails etc etc etc etc.

bhook

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Jules Bushell wrote:
mhood wrote:

The same things have to be there; great story, dialogue (or other communicative expression), great acting....

Jules

My point is that even if you do have the basics covered, raw is not going to help much if your publication medium is the Internet.

Jules Bushell

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 3:07 pm

mhood wrote:
Jules Bushell wrote:
mhood wrote:That would be the Internet, where IQ advantages are gr8ly diluted and workflow disadvantages are more significant.

Jules

My point is that even if you do have the basics covered, raw is not going to help much if your publication medium is the Internet.

Oh yes it does. A lot of films you can stream through a set-top box to your plasma/lcd/oled screen. Some TVs even have streaming built-in. Don't forget the new game consoles can stream. So getting films into the living room, that I think is the future if we want to get paid for our art.

But the filmmaking has to be proper good quality though, just like what you'd find at Sundance or some other major film festival. That's where RAW can help.

Jules
Jules Bushell

bhook

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 3:16 pm

I have a Netflix subscription...the quality is horrendous. Pretty much all available streaming (outside the laboratory) compresses the do dah out of your Sundance copy. At 1080 or 720 via HTTP (or a derivative), your raw advantage is pretty much lost. Granted, it won't stay that way forever but today is today.

Jules Bushell

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 4:19 pm

mhood wrote:I have a Netflix subscription...the quality is horrendous. Pretty much all available streaming (outside the laboratory) compresses the do dah out of your Sundance copy. At 1080 or 720 via HTTP (or a derivative), your raw advantage is pretty much lost. Granted, it won't stay that way forever but today is today.

Yeah but at the film market, festival or private screening room etc.. it better look like cinema or else you might get the buyers turning their noses up on it 'Looks bad, no thanks.'

Jules
Jules Bushell

bhook

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 4:21 pm

I thought we were talking about a venue for the coming horde of new filmmakers. I don't think Sundance can come close to accommodating the volume of newbies that Youtube can, do you?

If you haven't seen it, please look at this: http://vimeo.com/65939859#at=0

Chris Quevedo

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 4:28 pm

mhood wrote:I thought we were talking about a venue for the coming horde of new filmmakers. I don't think Sundance can come close to accommodating the volume of newbies that Youtube can, do you?

If you haven't seen it, please look at this: http://vimeo.com/65939859#at=0

ya what gives? i thought we were talking about the quality as it relates to online distribution.

Anthony Vescio

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 4:32 pm

Wouldn't the RAW advantage give your colorist the opportunity to make a better grade, which in turn would make you film look better? Even if it was streaming on Vimeo on a TV?

Jules Bushell

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 4:55 pm

It's a long chain of people before you get a chance with Netflix.

First you need a sales agent. They might be suitably impressed with a viewing at a film festival or private screening etc. If it looks like TV video or Vimeo at this stage then they might immediately pass. Most films they see probably use a RED as minimum. You might need a different sales agent for different territories too.

Then it's a hard sell by the sale agents get to get it picked up by distributors. Again you might need a different distributor for each territory. Then cinemas will take a look at it from their preferred distributors. In the UK that's mainly the big studios 'cause they are distributors, and some independents like Lionsgate. Big Studios naturally protect their business and so an independent film is going to find it very difficult indeed.

There's another process for DVD/Bluray markets.

Cable/Netflix/online normally come in later when you've tried the other options and made some money back.

So even though you might have shot your spanking new feature in RAW. It's the same long arduous road (sometimes costly) to getting it picked up and shown and getting some money back.

Jules
Jules Bushell

Anthony Vescio

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 5:01 pm

Jules Bushell wrote:It's a long chain of people before you get a chance with Netflix.

First you need a sales agent. They might be suitably impressed with a viewing at a film festival or private screening etc. If it looks like TV video or Vimeo at this stage then they might immediately pass. Most films they see probably use a RED as minimum. You might need a different sales agent for different territories too.

Then it's a hard sell by the sale agents get to get it picked up by distributors. Again you might need a different distributor for each territory. Then cinemas will take a look at it from their preferred distributors. In the UK that's mainly the big studios 'cause they are distributors, and some independents like Lionsgate. Big Studios naturally protect their business and so an independent film is going to find it very difficult indeed.

There's another process for DVD/Bluray markets.

Cable/Netflix/online normally come in later when you've tried the other options and made some money back.

So even though you might have shot your spanking new feature in RAW. It's the same long arduous road (sometimes costly) to getting it picked up and shown and getting some money back.

Jules

Or you could go the "pay 7,000 to get it listed on Netflix" route. Which I've always thought was pretty crazy. But I've seen some indies put that into their budget.

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 5:45 pm

mhood wrote:

RAW is not the be all and end all of camera picture quality. It's main advanatge is the flexibility in post. That is a double edged sword however, things usually look better if you get them right in camera in the fitsy place.

Asumming it was shot right in the firast place ProRes should be enough unless you are looking for a certain 'post only' look (say it is digital but you want a bleached bypass look or even cross processed, thats probably something you need to test your grading process and do camera tests to decide how to shoot it).

RAW is a great thing but it won't magically make your footage look great, to many fall into that trap, or at least use it as a crutch. (I know I do on occasion especially on rushed shoots in natural light).

Return to Cinematography