STILL NO BMC 4K FOOTAGE?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

STILL NO BMC 4K FOOTAGE?

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 5:19 pm

BMD said they are putting final touches on the Bmc 4k and that it would ship in few weeks time. i'm pretty sure most of the camera is done. just wondering if John brawley can gives us info on how its going so far and when we can see some footage.

ps: i know john brawley you are very busy and thanks for everything you have done. could you perhaps give us some images from the 4k bmc, because i thought by now, the image is finalized and BMD are okay for you to share.

thanks you.

Tom

Re: STILL NO BMC 4K FOOTAGE?

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 5:32 pm

I get the feeling that IF John Brawley was permitted to share 4k Footage, he would have done so.
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 5:40 pm

In Grant Petty's email this past Friday (just 3 days ago) he wrote:

"... The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K is not yet shipping as we need some more time. Our first batch of sensors was delivered only this week, so we have not been able to complete the software for the camera. We expect to start shipping in about 3 to 4 weeks once the final software work and testing is completed. ..."

Given that the 4K camera's software isn't completed & tested yet, I hope BMD doesn't release footage until the camera is ready. Based on what Grant wrote, that may be "soon", but probably not for a few weeks.

-

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 8:13 pm

peter, perhaps i missed some information, but why has grant petty said that they received the first batch of sensors only this week. i dont understand. :? in that case does it mean they have not even started working on it. the part where he says WE ONLY GOT THE FIRST BATCH OF SENSORS THIS WEEK. question is WHY? :? its been four months since they announced the cameras, and they are getting sensors only this week?? hmmm. but i dont know what goes behind the scenes. all in due time i guess. :roll:

Scott Pultz

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 8:28 pm

I assume that they have received engineering samples before this. Perhaps the final commercial sensors have a slightly different interface?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 12:04 am

Hardware & firmware (software) development is a highly iterative process, even more so when a product involves both.

Grant Petty reports that BMD just recently started receiving the final iteration version 4K sensors (preceded by non-final iterations). Now they can finalize the firmware -- one assumes they've been working on it for many months together with earlier versions of the sensors.

Pretty standard stuff. Nothing unusual about it.

-

Return to Cinematography