What new BM cameras await us next month or so?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Andreas Schwarz

Re: What new BM cameras await us next month or so?

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 1:17 pm

I wish no more pages are added to resolve

rick.lang

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 11:17 pm

Andreas, there’s always someone who dreams “the impossible dream!”
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostFri Mar 13, 2020 12:56 am

Andreas, one more page: Coffee Maker Page... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aside from that, I wouldn't mind there being an additional page if it was needed. I'm not sure what belongs in another page. But if it is warranted them I'm okay with it.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Wayne Steven

PostFri Mar 13, 2020 1:52 am

Are we talking about Resolve Cameras. Mind you that would be a good name for the company.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Username

PostSat Mar 14, 2020 7:39 am

Wayne Steven wrote:Are we talking about Resolve Cameras. Mind you that would be a good name for the company.

Indeed a very good name!
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

Andreas Schwarz

PostSun Mar 29, 2020 9:15 am

pnguyen720 wrote:While we're in wish land..I would really like a stable, crash free Davinci Resolve. :)

Agree 100% ...the actual version is a mess. No more pages, no more features...juust make it usable!

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 5:29 pm

rick.lang wrote:A few years ago people would ask what camera I was using? Answering that just drew a blank expression. In this last year that’s not happening. People have heard of Blackmagic even if they don’t know much but they know the brand now. And some have said, “Is that a Blackmagic camera?” Maybe one day, that ubiquitous declaration “we can shoot with a RED” and “we can do that on a RED” will be replaced by “we shoot Blackmagic.”

The Black Magic brand is already well enough known that it's not a disadvantage to be shooting with Black Magic. There are still people who sell their cameras without any talent to back them, and those ones still push their Reds and Alexas, but those whose marketing is based on the quality of their work are fine with BMD cameras. They rent for less, so they're popular with independent filmmakers.

If I'm applying for a gig with a tight budget, I'd advise for a Black Magic camera instead of a Red, and use the savings to pay the crew better or hire a better caterer (or both) rather than pushing for a Red, even if the Red is mine.

The Red still attracts more attention from onlookers, but Black Magic cameras are very popular, especially in independent film... where they are pretty much dominating. Kinefinity and ZCam are the closest competitors, with the Panasonic S1H getting into the fray but requiring an external recorder...

Even without a major upgrade, that still puts Black Magic in the lead as far as features + price vs image quality, and I figure BMD probably has an update coming soon for the Ursa Mini line, but it's probably behind schedule because of the pandemic, along with a legion of other companies' release schedules.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

rick.lang

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 3:10 am

You may be right. In the next 10 days we will know. A splash at IBC might be a possibility now that a virtual NAB 2020 is the bet we can hope for now. But that isn’t a certainty either.

I don’t know about your countries but Canada is going to suffer much longer than we should because the government is practicing the exact opposite of “speak softly but carry a big stick.” Because there’s no enforcement, many people are ignoring the government’s approach that in these states of emergency have the force of law if only they’d use it. China took an enforcement approach and now they’re back at work!
Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 7:34 am

rick.lang wrote:You may be right. In the next 10 days we will know. A splash at IBC might be a possibility now that a virtual NAB 2020 is the bet we can hope for now. But that isn’t a certainty either.

With any luck the supply lines will be back online by then too... along with hopefully some film productions.

I don’t know about your countries but Canada is going to suffer much longer than we should because the government is practicing the exact opposite of “speak softly but carry a big stick.” Because there’s no enforcement, many people are ignoring the government’s approach that in these states of emergency have the force of law if only they’d use it. China took an enforcement approach and now they’re back at work!

For the US I'm pretty sure it's going to be worse than anywhere except possibly India and South Africa... we are as a nation doing a horrendous job overall, and a *lot* of fools are ignoring the stay-at-home directives and the lockdowns...
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

John Griffin

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 7:46 am

rick.lang wrote:You may be right. In the next 10 days we will know. A splash at IBC might be a possibility now that a virtual NAB 2020 is the bet we can hope for now. But that isn’t a certainty either.

Back for how long though? Without a vaccine a highly contagious virus will quickly re establish itself within a population very quickly. This is going to be the big test that every country around the world is watching.....

Wayne Steven

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 2:42 pm

A freind was telling me that they were finding a lot of people had the virus 2 weeks after recovery. This maybe about to get bat crazy, unless it is the lighrer strain of the virus. The question is, what immunity does the lighter strain give against the worse strain?
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

rick.lang

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 3:14 pm

Agree that a second and third wave of infection may arrive after the first wave appears to be over. There seems to be good progress on a vaccine in 2021 but that may be too late to stop the second wave. Difficult to judge immunity after infected people recover as the data is likely insufficient now. Many people experience only a relatively mild flu while others die quickly. Perhaps the second and third wave will show greatly increased rates of the mild reaction.
Rick Lang

AndySeeon

PostSat May 15, 2021 6:02 am

Current question on the subject: Does the Pocket 6K Pro now have a GPS module? Or to put it another way: How does the Pocket 6K Pro get its time? In contrast to the Pocket 4K, the internal clock does not stop after two or three days of non-use - at least not so far.
Does anyone know the solution?

Andreas
- DR Studio 18.6
- Win10 Pro 64 - AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900X - 128GB RAM
- NVIDIA RTX 3080Ti 12GB, latest "Studio" driver
- Decklink Mini Monitor 4K
- C: Drive 500 GB SSD M.2
- Project/Cache Drive 2 TB SSD M.2

John Brawley

PostSat May 15, 2021 4:05 pm

AndySeeon wrote:Current question on the subject: Does the Pocket 6K Pro now have a GPS module? Or to put it another way: How does the Pocket 6K Pro get its time? In contrast to the Pocket 4K, the internal clock does not stop after two or three days of non-use - at least not so far.
Does anyone know the solution?

Andreas

When you update the camera firmware it generally takes network time from that.

It’s not super accurate. After a few days it will be out.

You can easily override it and set your own manually or use and external TC clock to feed it time of day timecode.

No gps for timecode. Most clocks in cameras like this aren’t accurate after about 8-10 hours (more than 1 frame drift)

Wouldn’t be so good in studios ;-)

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Mark Foster

PostSat May 15, 2021 6:57 pm

if you use an iphone or ipad here a great solution:

Denecke TimeCode ToolBox app

http://www.denecke.com/

perfect also for synced TC over more than one BMPCC,
when set all before shoot
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

timbutt2

PostSat May 15, 2021 9:34 pm

I'm getting excited for Gen 2 of the 12K. Got some ideas I want to pass along to BMD I'm working on. Yes, a lot more to do with wireless tech, but I also want to pitch camera tracking for LED walls. Built in tracker with additional camera trackers you place around set.

I'm thinking this might be a $15K camera, but worth it for a Blackmagic Virtual Cinema Camera.

ricardo marty

PostSun May 16, 2021 3:22 am

Andreas Schwarz wrote:I wish no more pages are added to resolve

I want a 3d page, an animation page, a motion graphic page... What's the problem with pages it's better than having a bunch pf programs opened.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Ellory Yu

PostSun May 16, 2021 7:08 am

For cameras, I really don’t want 12k. A 6K, or even a 4K on a box form factor that is like the Komodo will be more interesting. I entertaining of going the Komodo direction since beyond the URSA mini 4.6K G2 and the pocket 4/6/6kpro nothing is exciting for indie filmmakers.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Adam Langdon

PostSun May 16, 2021 3:09 pm

ricardo marty wrote:

I want a 3d page, an animation page, a motion graphic page... What's the problem with pages it's better than having a bunch pf programs opened.

Ricardo Marty

it's that what the Fusion Page is? (not being combative)
I just started looking into fusion and i'm hoping to educate myself more on it as Resolve has become my main editor as well as coloring program.
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

ricardo marty

PostMon May 17, 2021 3:02 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:
ricardo marty wrote:

Ricardo Marty

it's that what the Fusion Page is? (not being combative)
I just started looking into fusion and i'm hoping to educate myself more on it as Resolve has become my main editor as well as coloring program.

Could be but I'm thinking more of a motion graphic interface like the one apples has.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Rakesh Malik

PostMon May 17, 2021 3:20 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:For cameras, I really don’t want 12k. A 6K, or even a 4K on a box form factor that is like the Komodo will be more interesting. I entertaining of going the Komodo direction since beyond the URSA mini 4.6K G2 and the pocket 4/6/6kpro nothing is exciting for indie filmmakers.

IMO the 12K is quite exciting for indie filmmakers, because of its scaled rather than windowed raw. You can use it as a crazy high resolution camera, or configure it into a high speed 4K camera without changing the FOV due to a sensor crop. So if you don't need 12K, which is almost everyone, then you can set it to 4K and just switch the frame rate for the extra slow motion situations, and Bob's your uncle.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Ellory Yu

PostMon May 17, 2021 5:01 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:IMO the 12K is quite exciting for indie filmmakers, because of its scaled rather than windowed raw. You can use it as a crazy high resolution camera, or configure it into a high speed 4K camera without changing the FOV due to a sensor crop. So if you don't need 12K, which is almost everyone, then you can set it to 4K and just switch the frame rate for the extra slow motion situations, and Bob's your uncle.

Indie filmmakers usually do not have the budget to purchase a $10K camera, although they might just rent it. And since I don't need a 12K, and as you said almost everyone, then using it to shoot 4K is a very expensive compared to just getting a P4K or a UMP 4.6K, and I wonder if Bob's anyone uncle. ;)
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

John Brawley

PostMon May 17, 2021 5:15 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:
IMO the 12K is quite exciting for indie filmmakers, because of its scaled rather than windowed raw. You can use it as a crazy high resolution camera, or configure it into a high speed 4K camera without changing the FOV due to a sensor crop. So if you don't need 12K, which is almost everyone, then you can set it to 4K and just switch the frame rate for the extra slow motion situations, and Bob's your uncle.

Don’t focus on the resolution.

The thing that keeps surprising me with the 12K is just how beautiful the image looks. Literally every time I go back to work on 12K shots it keeps on surprising me with it’s subtly, nuance and finesse. It’s just a classy looking image. The 12K resolution is just a byproduct and isn’t the reason you should get this camera.

They really did something very unique with this sensor and frankly the 12K BRAW workflow is about the same as other 4K workflows in terms of data rates.

Pretend it’s not a high res camera, but just a camera that makes really stunning beautiful images with a unique sensor that makes colour like no other sensor out there. Cause that’s what it is to me.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Dan Cotreau

PostMon May 17, 2021 7:48 pm

John Brawley wrote:
Rakesh Malik wrote:

Don’t focus on the resolution.

The thing that keeps surprising me with the 12K is just how beautiful the image looks. Literally every time I go back to work on 12K shots it keeps on surprising me with it’s subtly, nuance and finesse. It’s just a classy looking image. The 12K resolution is just a byproduct and isn’t the reason you should get this camera.

They really did something very unique with this sensor and frankly the 12K BRAW workflow is about the same as other 4K workflows in terms of data rates.

Pretend it’s not a high res camera, but just a camera that makes really stunning beautiful images with a unique sensor that makes colour like no other sensor out there. Cause that’s what it is to me.

JB

John's statement really reinforces exactly what my eyes tell me. There is just something lovely about the images that come out of the 12K camera. There is something about the color and and feel (for a lack of better word) to the image that is just very pleasing to my eye. I may not always be able to put it into words, but you just know it when you see it.

Rakesh Malik

PostTue May 18, 2021 7:27 pm

John Brawley wrote:

JB

Clearly we're in agreement, except that I haven't had a chance to use one myself yet.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

rick.lang

PostTue May 18, 2021 7:34 pm

Hoping that same magical image appears in a mFT mount BMPCC8K…
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostTue May 18, 2021 7:34 pm

Duplicate
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostWed May 19, 2021 4:08 am

After doing the Wooden Camera PL Modification for the Pocket 6K Pro today, I'd say a real native PL Mount Pocket 6K Pro. It wasn't too hard, but there was some annoying sections of the modification. Specifically the ribbon part. But now that I've done it I'm so happy. Goodbye and good riddance to EF.

rick.lang

PostWed May 19, 2021 6:14 pm

Very good! Wonder if that option would ever work with the BMPCC4K as I don’t use native mFT lenses anyway.
Rick Lang

Ellory Yu

PostWed May 19, 2021 6:28 pm

rick.lang wrote:Hoping that same magical image appears in a mFT mount BMPCC8K…

Just in a box form factor. :) Seriously.

rick.lang

PostWed May 19, 2021 6:58 pm

Sure BMMCC8K would be fine.
Rick Lang

ricardo marty

PostSun May 23, 2021 3:51 am

Maybe they will update the 4k and make a 4k pro. I would like bmd to develop a lidar type module. For the next nab in Oct

Ricardo Marty

ricardo marty

PostSun May 23, 2021 3:52 am

Maybe they will update the 4k and make a 4k pro. I would like bmd to develop a lidar type module. For the next nab in Oct

Ricardo Marty

Ellory Yu

PostSun May 23, 2021 6:35 am

ricardo marty wrote:Maybe they will update the 4k and make a 4k pro.
Ricardo Marty

I’m cool with this but only in a box form factor and not that DSLR for factor. It’s time they end that style.
Previous

Return to Cinematography