New BMPCC6k fan high pitched sound

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Damian M. Krawczyk

New BMPCC6k fan high pitched sound

PostFri Feb 28, 2020 10:43 pm

Hello guys!

Recently I bought a BMPCC6k and turned it on a few hours ago for the first time. I noticed a very high frequency sound, like a soft high pitched sound between 13–16 khz which constantly comes out the fan. It is noticable for my ears when getting a little bit closer to the fan.

Can you tell me if your BMPCC6k has got this sound too? Is this normal or a mistake?

Uli Plank

Re: New BMPCC6k fan high pitched sound

PostSat Feb 29, 2020 1:19 am

Not normal, else my old ears are not getting such high frequencies anymore.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Damian M. Krawczyk

PostSat Feb 29, 2020 12:04 pm

Alright :D

There are threads from other people complaining about the problem.
I not able to post links (don't know why). Just google or search for "BMPCC6K INTERNAL FAN NOISE" and "BMPCC 4K high pitched fan noise" and you get some results.

Any other BMPCC6k users here who can tell if there is any noise?

Damian M. Krawczyk

PostMon Mar 02, 2020 7:42 pm

Really no other people who can tell if there is or isn't any noise?

Edit: I don't expect the fan to be loudless. I know it's gonna make some sound and that really is no problem. But there is a constant high pitched noise that reminds me of coil whine or something else and it makes me crazy. Maybe older people don't hear it but I do. Do I have to expect that every BMPCC 6k camera sound like this?

daphoon

PostTue Mar 03, 2020 3:35 am

A few days ago I tested the P6k in a store and there was no strange sound. I was in a relatively quite room and listened to the fan because I wanted to know how loud it gets. No high pitched sound. In this forum there should be some P6k users who could quickly listen to their cameras. If noone answers here then ask on reddit. There is a subreddit called /bmpcc

Damian M. Krawczyk

PostTue Mar 03, 2020 12:06 pm

Ok. Thank you. Are there any other people with this high pitched fan sound?

I won't ask at reddit because Blackmagic uses this forum for marketing purposes to tell how nice their customer support is. To be honest I'm waiting for days now and I get no answer from any official Blackmagic person. That's crap

Michael_Andreas

PostTue Mar 03, 2020 2:46 pm

Speculating here, maybe the noise is not from the fan but rather one of the coils in one of the camera's internal switching power supplies. One thing to check is whether the sound changes between operating on the internal battery or an external supply.

In my (much) younger days, I could hear the horizontal oscillator (15,750 Hz for analog TV) in the high voltage of older TVs (dating myself). As I got older I could no longer hear them as I lost my high frequency hearing. So perhaps my camera has this sound too but I can't hear it.

ECarruth

PostThu Apr 23, 2020 7:15 pm

Hello,
Just noticed this on my camera as well. Has there been any info as to what this is, or if this is normal? Is there an audio recording somewhere of what a normal fan sound from this camera is supposed to sound like?
cheers

Adam Silver

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 11:04 am

My cameras do not not exhibit any such sound. I tested this on my Pocket 6K and 4K.

MONNYS

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 3:43 pm

Adam Silver wrote:My cameras do not not exhibit any such sound. I tested this on my Pocket 6K and 4K.
Hello,
I have both cameras 4k + 6k, with the camera6k the fan can be heard and with the 4k camera not. Therefore I am considering ext. microphone.

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 4:16 pm

An external mic is always better, regardless of the camera. ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

scillumminations

PostSat Jan 02, 2021 12:04 am

I am having the exact same issue. I first noticed it editing video interviews, I used a the BMPCC 6k on a gimbal with the Rode Video Mic Pro. I thought it was the mic or power adapters, it was not.

I just tested powering the BMPCC 6k three different ways both AC/DC. When plugged into the AC adapter, the sound seems to come from the front lower left and when DC the front lower right.

Is this all of them or only some? I bought mine in March of 2020 and the sound persists. Thanks the heavens I have not had the need to shoot with the mic so close to the body though I'd prefer to have that reference mic not have that unwanted high pitched sound.

Since I'm not the only one and finally made time to research the issue, is this reason to repair or exchange via warranty?

maroonedmind

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 3:22 am

I have the same problem with my bmpcc 4k. Noticed it right away when I got and got it replaced from blackmagic through the retailer. So i did not personally have the communication with blackmagic. The reason why I said "have the problem" is that the replacement has excatly the same problem. Just been on a documentary shoot where the sound went into the external mic placed on the camera. The closer you are to a reflective surface the more pronounced the sound is gonna become. The reason I chose the bmpcc 4k over the 6k in the first place was that I had read from different forums that the Bmpcc 6k was going to suffer from more fan noise than the 4k, and that the 4k therefore was better for the kind of work I was going to do. But I guess that is not the case... So frustrating To have been waiting for a replacement and and then still getting a camera that makes it impossible to have good audio as a one-man-band.

Peter Selbie

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 12:57 pm

I have the same problem camera is just 2 weeks old
I hear more sound on the left side than the right side sound on the right side can hear air suction on the left side you can clearly hear more high frequency sound

I have record the sound but it is not allowed here to attachment wav file
Camera : BMCC / BMPCC OG !!!!!
Threadripper 2920x/32GB ram/1070 oc 8GB
Windows 10 pro

Duckpaddle

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 10:56 pm

I am having the same issue with mine, just purchased Dec 2020. Really an issue, even with external shotgun mic.

Soeren Mueller

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 8:34 pm

Hey guys.. resurrecting this really old thread since I encountered this problem on my 2-3 year old BMPCC6k as well. I could write a long text now how I went to several stages where I inbetween thought it might be an internal power conversion problem or that I fried something in my camera. (my problem is a cyclic weird buzzing sound that was definitely NOT caused by my fan)

So long story short - just by tedious trial and error I finally realized what is causing the sound (in my case) ... it's the electrical pins in the lens mount! Once I'm using any kind of vintage lens with a "dumb" adapter thats just made out of metal and thus probably just "shorting" all the lens mount pins the weird buzzing sound starts immediately - no matter how the camera is powered. Sometimes it's worse sometimes it's less. (imho definitely can't be good for the onboard electronics long term)
Simple solution: thin layer of insulation tape on the pins in the lens mount before I mount any kind of vintage lens using a "dumb" adapter. (unless your adapter somehow has some non conductive coating)

Hope that helps somebody!
Cheers

drknsss

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 9:12 pm

I've only heard a sound from the fans when using internal batteries. I use a vmount or a generic battery grip with no battery inside of the camera. No sound from camera or very low sound if set is small and hot.

wemrick1

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 4:19 am

Got my curiosity up now. I can't hear 13 to 16k but I can use a calibration mic to see if it's emitting a noise in that range. Probably test it this coming weekend.

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 7:20 am

Damian M. Krawczyk wrote:Ok. Thank you. Are there any other people with this high pitched fan sound?

I won't ask at reddit because Blackmagic uses this forum for marketing purposes to tell how nice their customer support is. To be honest I'm waiting for days now and I get no answer from any official Blackmagic person. That's crap
No, you can have support contacting directly Blackmagic Design from website, from phone or email.
this is a user forum that sometimes is visited from Blackmagic Design people.
Official support is only from website and I ever found few hours waiting to have answer, this is not a official support forum, is “only” full of kind people that try to help but for hardware problem you should contact directly Blackmagic Design

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography