NAB 2020 cancelled

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

robedge

Re: NAB 2020 cancelled

PostMon Mar 23, 2020 7:11 pm

rick.lang wrote:Hopefully they can do it with a very small crew. If that’s allowed. Perhaps we’ll just get a video link via Facebook from Grant’s home but I hope there is a video to show at least.

The pandemic is not stopping YouTubers from making videos. Peter McKinnon's upload this morning, from Canada where the rules are quite a bit stricter than in Australia:

I figure that if Grant Petty wants to make a video, he'll figure out how to do it. Indeed, I suspect that he'll observe more stringent requirements than he's required to in Australia, which is being criticised for not being tough enough.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

Wayne Steven

PostMon Mar 23, 2020 9:12 pm

The government is pulling it together here, but they started late and it really needed a pre planning and setup reserves, techniques and facility for major disasters, and pre organisation and education of partner organisations and businesses and people etc etc. Then people just go to plan a b C etc. They needed to organise and to more with advanced warning. These responses with only days notice period a really difficult. I self isolated with flues and a few other things a lot all this year. I come out of the latest as they just announcing quick action without being prepared. They really should have been on this January 1 with an education campaign and telling people what they would implement in two weeks time, so people could get their heads around it and get prepared. They are projecting a worsening situation because they did not get people to behave and reduce the rate of infection then. They needed to more closely determine who has it from then.

So, hopefully Grant said to his team, we are going shoot it now weeks ago when the government started signalling. Of not, he could say that this day. He could turn launch it from home, or any team member could on the official day.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

PostMon Mar 23, 2020 9:16 pm

Man, there is supposed to be a 20Ghz, maybe 8k phone with a new cooling technology announced today, but still nothing.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Oyvind Fiksdal

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 12:03 am

rick.lang wrote:Hopefully they can do it with a very small crew. If that’s allowed. Perhaps we’ll just get a video link via Facebook from Grant’s home but I hope there is a video to show at least.

Yes hopefully. In Norway the rule is 2meters, at least, between people in doors.

This was taken a couple of days ago. Going to do another one tomorrow. Live concerts and shows can be done if planed right..

E9FF0051-E504-4D02-B92B-711A182BC226.jpeg
E9FF0051-E504-4D02-B92B-711A182BC226.jpeg (790.49 KiB) Viewed 3303 times

Wayne Steven

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 6:08 pm

Wayne Steven

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 6:12 pm

Can I point out, that the pocket 6k is coming up in advertisements as new and cheap. So, I wonder what is coming, as it has not become new again or cheap. Maybe there will be a new camera, a cheaper 6k, and no 4k pocket, but a micro 4k or 6k?

pnguyen720

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 3:58 pm

So.. only a couple weeks ago from this now cancelled event, was there a virtual NAB still scheduled or was that Grant's announcement?

timbutt2

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 7:58 pm

pnguyen720 wrote:So.. only a couple weeks ago from this now cancelled event, was there a virtual NAB still scheduled or was that Grant's announcement?

That may be Grant's only announcement. It may not be. There may still be DaVinci Resolve updates. We'll have to wait and see. Generally Resolve gets major updates announced around NAB.

As far as cameras are concerned I have a feeling there are no new camera models to announce this year. So, the only other thing is Firmware updates for existing cameras.

Thus, I think the only thing that truly deserves another major announcement is the Resolve 17 announcement. Maybe there's a break in tradition of time of year and it ends up coming in time for IBC. We'll have to wait and see.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Wayne Steven

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 2:11 pm

The local camera shop closed up temporarily end of last month. So, I wondered about how many stores might be selling. They mainly deal with consumers, but I wonder if there will be a little delay for sales channels to pick up more, but people will still buy online.

I hope it's cameras as well.

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 3:34 pm

I called a local store specializing in sound yesterday and spoke to the owner. The store was closed but he was there anyway. He feared many places wouldn’t survive the “stay at home” directive, but on an encouraging note, he said his landlord isn’t charging rent now. Even my wife’s business parking fee is being returned to her as she works from home. Nice to see there is generosity as you go up the food chain toward those on the bottom.
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 1:01 am

My local(NorCal) AV dealers are taking phone calls and doing mail order business. Same with Adorama and B&H.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Wayne Steven

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 2:06 pm

I was thinking of doing a thread on design aspects of the size and shape of a small camera phone, but published the following in another thread:

I wish BM would do something significant like this 4 inch rugged phone, with better sensor and chipset. A bit smaller than an iPhone se, and a bit larger than my current small phone.

I can buy much smaller than this, maybe even a better sensor, and I doubt it's the world's smallest rugged phone. I've found a site that lists phone brands, better than the sites I used previously, but can't search it and it doesn't tell enough to estimate which ones are the best. I was thinking of doing a thread on design aspects to do with optimal minimal phone size for us. The iPhone SE, is a little big, my old Alcatel is smaller but probably still a bit big, but if narrower, like this form factor, it would be pretty good. Going from a 4 inch screen size to that size, is optimal for a pocket device? Steve Jobs and Ives paid a lot of attention to the optimal size and ratio that feels good, which I do too, it's not all about the most beautiful in functionally using. Rather like a post modern house that looks as good outside as it does inside, for a change. Anyway, the early iPhones were very optimal, the translation to widescreen suffered a little. Been thinking extensively about a small phone design aspects last month, to fit a 865+ into. The iPhone stuff was coincidental, the Alcatel and my old Huawei are nice. The issue is, for filming it needs to be a bit longer to feel optimal than as a phone. I have narrowed down a good sleek design language for it.
More on this in another thread.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=111061

Grant, what about a phone?
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

robedge

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 2:21 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:Grant, what about a phone?

Like the Red Hydrogen One?

:)
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

danielpanev

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 2:29 pm

The Real-Deal Question is "What about Resole 17" :D

Wayne Steven

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 2:46 pm

Ok, split it off to a new thread in off topic:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=111061
Small camera phone design aspects!

Wayne Steven

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 3:55 pm

robedge wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote:Grant, what about a phone?

Like the Red Hydrogen One?

:)

Definitely not like that. Talk about not taking advice. The hydrogen was in so many ways, not it. Hanging a phone on one advanced feature while everything else was unequal, at a higher price, was risky. In the old days, an advanced 3D screen on a $200 phone which played properly designed genes, like a gameboy, would be a selling point. $600:with an 855 and custom silicon to do at least 4 point computational imaging would have been the realistic high volume selling point. At the moment $1200 would be a stretch, and $800 with 865 a volume selling point, I feel. Once the 875 comes out, I don't know. Qualcomm and Sony are planning on going computational imaging array, but Sony might have a lightfeild like single chip solution. We might expect the volume selling point to come down another $200-$400 (unlikely). Trying to sell the thing base on your brand on a mid range spec above the markets price was not going to go, especially considering that modern styling was super slick. To your average consumer everything apart from the screen, does not mean much. They should have sold cheaper and better, and then charge for their modules at high price to the enthusiasts who want to buy them. Once established, you can move up the food chain. You don't depend on employees and friends blowing smoke, rather than speak objectively, you pick something with objective appeal. No, not like the hydrogen. People with 100 million in the old money, failed to establish in the phone market, you have to be very strategic and careful. So, it's possible to start cheap and small with largely a conventional design programmed to be better with nice lens, recurring sections name controls, so that's extra dollars in costs, plus whatever software development and custom sensors you want. Then you have marketing and distribution, and registration in different markets which is why you try to get it in their range as a special edition, which covers all that. A cheaper way, depending n your capability, is to make an external camera which you can market as an POV, action and drone cam, machine vision, scientific, security (that market is increasing in performance and thinning), it's own body and wirelessly connect it to a phone, lots of markets to shift units through.

Relating it back to your subject, that was not the way to do it.

Thanks.

Now, back to regular programming. If you want to discuss these things, go to the other thread? :)
Previous

Return to Cinematography