Best way connect to sony NP-F970 on BMPCC4k

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Peter Selbie

Best way connect to sony NP-F970 on BMPCC4k

PostSun Mar 15, 2020 6:52 pm

I have a V-Mounth batery but when I want to use the camera handheld, I don’t want to use the V-mounth because of the weight.
So I’m thinking about to power my atomos shinobi monitor with the NP F970 batery and at the same time power the camera.

I can’t find a clear answer how to do this without damage something
Can I use the output batery straight away in to the camera or do I need a dummy battery ??

This is the battery which I want

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M189SS0
Camera : BMCC / BMPCC OG !!!!!
Threadripper 2920x/32GB ram/1070 oc 8GB
Windows 10 pro

carlomacchiavello

Re: Best way connect to sony NP-F970 on BMPCC4k

PostSun Mar 15, 2020 9:46 pm

dummy battery or connect a plate to external power give you the same option about info of charge but....
internal battery connection had less range of voltage accept, external power go from 12 to 20v acceptable voltage.
i give you some reasons to use an external plate (i had one from tilta):
1) large range of voltage is better if your plate had some problems or oscillation about output voltage
2) you can keep internal battery and add external to record continuosly without stop, when external stop internal continue to give power to camera
3) you can put on camera or with long spiraled cable on you belt and leave camera lighter than internal dummy battery (usually very short cable)
4) use external mean you keep charged internal battery, if you need to be free or lighter, in every moments you are sure that you can disconnect external cable, and you are ready to continue to shoot handheld or gimbal without change nothing or you configuration.

the only reasons that you should not like external power is that if you have internal battery, it continue to keep charged internal battery and that consume a bit more battery than use directly battery, but fnp970 are quite less expansive against a vlock that you can buy 3-4 battery without problems.

Michael_Andreas

Re: Best way connect to sony NP-F970 on BMPCC4k

PostMon Mar 16, 2020 1:02 pm

Any power solution for both monitor and camera from a single battery runs the risk of introducing a voltage difference that could damage the HDMI port. Use the forum search function for "ground loop".

Consider instead powering your monitor with a lighter NP-F550 if your monitor offers that option, and the camera from a separate battery.

Return to Cinematography