What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&GH5?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Michael Moore

  • Posts: 328
  • Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 12:28 pm

What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&GH5?

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 4:28 pm

I look for a Metabones Speed Booster model that work well with both cameras BMPCC4K and GH5.Which model cover well both situation?
Offline

John Griffin

  • Posts: 428
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 7:12 pm

What lenses do you have (or intend to have) for these cameras?
Dell XPS 7590 i9 9980HK, GTX1650m, 64gb RAM
1Tb NVME C drive,
2TB SSD 2nd internal.
GTX 1080ti eGPU,
Offline

Denny Smith

  • Posts: 11599
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:19 pm
  • Location: USA, Northern Calif.

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 7:21 pm

The issue is, the Pocket 4K camera has a thinner sensor stack than the GH5, which creates a different optimal focus point. That said, you can use the standard Metabones MFT Speed Booster used for the Pana GH Cameras on the BMD Pocket Camera, but with fast or WA lenses (like the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8) you may have a slight focus shift issue wide open and at the WA end of the Zoom, giving a slightly soft image.

The Metabones BMPCC4K SB corrects for this and puts the focal point on the sensor correctly, improving the performance on the Pocket 4K camera. However, you can not use this adapter on the GH4/5 due the mechanical shutter in these cameras.

I would get the correct Speed Booster for each camera. The non SB dumb adapter is the same for both cameras.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions
Offline

Michael Moore

  • Posts: 328
  • Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 12:28 pm

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 10:51 pm

John Griffin wrote:What lenses do you have (or intend to have) for these cameras?

Generaly i want to use both cameras with Sigma 18-35 f1.8 Art lens.Which Metabones Speedbooster models covers well both cameras? Ultra 0.71x or XL 0.64x?
Offline

pnguyen720

  • Posts: 284
  • Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:17 pm
  • Real Name: Phong Nguyen

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 10:56 pm

Michael Moore wrote:
John Griffin wrote:What lenses do you have (or intend to have) for these cameras?

Generaly i want to use both cameras with Sigma 18-35 f1.8 Art lens.Which Metabones Speedbooster models covers well both cameras? Ultra 0.71x or XL 0.64x?


That's an APS-C lens so you want the 0.71x
Offline

Michael Moore

  • Posts: 328
  • Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 12:28 pm

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostSat Mar 21, 2020 4:37 pm

pnguyen720 wrote:
Michael Moore wrote:
John Griffin wrote:What lenses do you have (or intend to have) for these cameras?

Generaly i want to use both cameras with Sigma 18-35 f1.8 Art lens.Which Metabones Speedbooster models covers well both cameras? Ultra 0.71x or XL 0.64x?


That's an APS-C lens so you want the 0.71x


I don't have just Sigma 18-35 f/18. I own also Canon 24-70 f2.8 II, Canon 70-200 f2.8 II.I try to find a intelligent investment in Metabones Speedbooster to cover all my needs.
Offline

pnguyen720

  • Posts: 284
  • Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:17 pm
  • Real Name: Phong Nguyen

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostSat Mar 21, 2020 5:34 pm

Ok, if you're going to be using full frame lenses, then get the XL.

But if you use the XL on an APS-C lens, you're going to vignette town.
Offline

Michael Moore

  • Posts: 328
  • Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 12:28 pm

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostSun Mar 22, 2020 3:11 pm

pnguyen720 wrote:Ok, if you're going to be using full frame lenses, then get the XL.

But if you use the XL on an APS-C lens, you're going to vignette town.


If i use both APS-C lens (Sigma 18-35 f 1.8 Art) and full frame lens (Canons 24-70 f 2.8I, Canon 70-200 f 2.8, what you suggested me? XL 64 or X71?
Offline

John Griffin

  • Posts: 428
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostSun Mar 22, 2020 3:52 pm

Michael Moore wrote:
pnguyen720 wrote:Ok, if you're going to be using full frame lenses, then get the XL.

But if you use the XL on an APS-C lens, you're going to vignette town.


If i use both APS-C lens (Sigma 18-35 f 1.8 Art) and full frame lens (Canons 24-70 f 2.8I, Canon 70-200 f 2.8, what you suggested me? XL 64 or X71?

Maybe get both?
Dell XPS 7590 i9 9980HK, GTX1650m, 64gb RAM
1Tb NVME C drive,
2TB SSD 2nd internal.
GTX 1080ti eGPU,
Offline

pnguyen720

  • Posts: 284
  • Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:17 pm
  • Real Name: Phong Nguyen

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostSun Mar 22, 2020 5:08 pm

Michael Moore wrote:
pnguyen720 wrote:Ok, if you're going to be using full frame lenses, then get the XL.

But if you use the XL on an APS-C lens, you're going to vignette town.


If i use both APS-C lens (Sigma 18-35 f 1.8 Art) and full frame lens (Canons 24-70 f 2.8I, Canon 70-200 f 2.8, what you suggested me? XL 64 or X71?


You can get the X71 to use with full frame lenses. It's just not as boosted.
Offline

Howard Roll

  • Posts: 569
  • Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:50 am

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostSun Mar 22, 2020 10:17 pm

The question here is which is the best speedbooster mismatch.

One SB should focus past infinity and the other SB should not be able to hit infinity at all.

Does a thicker filter stack=more or less FFD?

Good Luck
Offline

John Griffin

  • Posts: 428
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostMon Mar 23, 2020 7:54 am

Howard Roll wrote:The question here is which is the best speedbooster mismatch.

One SB should focus past infinity and the other SB should not be able to hit infinity at all.

Does a thicker filter stack=more or less FFD?

Good Luck

All SB’s are adjustable with regards to infinity. There is no intrinsic design difference in the infinity or focus setting between the .64 and .71 versions although given Metabones’s QC I’d advise users to check the infinity setting before use.
With regards to the filter stack (not sure where this is relevant to this thread) but the manufacturer will vary the sensor to flange distance to ensure proper infinity focus. The P4K has a thinner filter stack than most M43 cameras therefore the flange to sensor distance will be shorter. When I fitted my Rawlite OLPF I needed to shim out the flange to get infinity focus at the end of the focus travel on MF lenses but even if I had not done this I would only have hit infinity sooner rather than not being able to reach it.
Dell XPS 7590 i9 9980HK, GTX1650m, 64gb RAM
1Tb NVME C drive,
2TB SSD 2nd internal.
GTX 1080ti eGPU,
Offline

Max Minoia

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:26 am
  • Real Name: Massimiliano Minoia

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostMon Mar 23, 2020 9:30 am

The focus is not an issue, the problem is the heavy spherical aberrations with fast apertures like f1.4, if you use your lenses stopped down to f1.8/f2.0 you can mismatch your Speedbooster without problems.
Offline
User avatar

VINOVINKKELI

  • Posts: 24
  • Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:46 pm
  • Location: Finland
  • Real Name: Teemu Saarinen

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostMon Mar 23, 2020 1:34 pm

Michael Moore wrote:I look for a Metabones Speed Booster model that work well with both cameras BMPCC4K and GH5.Which model cover well both situation?


I use both BMPCC4K and GH5 with MB EF XL 0.64. I mostly use cinema converted (and EF-converted) Canon FD and other old manual lenses.

I can confirm that in my experience with the MB (this is not the BMPCC4K specific version) on the BMPPCC4K image is a bit soft. Softer than GH5. But GH5 is too sharp (even when all the sharpness is turned down) for my taste overall.

Sharpness with the BMPCC4k is nothing that I wouldn't be able to compensate in post. And first of all, I like the image more on the "soft" side (not meaning out of focus) that's also the reason I like to shoot mostly with vintage lenses.

The only reason why I would like to buy the dedicated BMPCC4K MB is the locking type. I would choose the locking cine mount. But this depends on what you prefer to use. I don't like that my lenses move (like 1mm or less) when locked on the typical EF-mount. That's just the design of the mount. Nothing wrong with the MB or lense themselves. If it was an absolute tight fit it would be hell to mount or change lenses.

But if you are going to use it with just Canon L lenses I suggest to see this video before choosing the mount type:


I don't know if these problems are any more relevant to current MB versions. It might be best to confirm straight from the manufacturer that the lenses you are planning to use work with the adapter.
Intel Skylake i7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 960 4GB, Win 10 Pro, System disk: Samsung NVMe M.2 960 EVO 250GB, Workdisk#1(MATERIAL): Samsung EVO850 1TB, Workdisk#2(CACHE): Samsung EVO850 500GB, DaVinci Resolve 15.2.3, Dell 34" Ultrasharp
Offline

Howard Roll

  • Posts: 569
  • Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:50 am

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostMon Mar 23, 2020 3:19 pm

That’s what I’m getting at. What is the opposite result? The product of the BM booster on a GH?
Offline

John Griffin

  • Posts: 428
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostMon Mar 23, 2020 4:08 pm

VINOVINKKELI wrote:
Michael Moore wrote:I look for a Metabones Speed Booster model that work well with both cameras BMPCC4K and GH5.Which model cover well both situation?


I use both BMPCC4K and GH5 with MB EF XL 0.64. I mostly use cinema converted (and EF-converted) Canon FD and other old manual lenses.

I can confirm that in my experience with the MB (this is not the BMPCC4K specific version) on the BMPPCC4K image is a bit soft. Softer than GH5. But GH5 is too sharp (even when all the sharpness is turned down) for my taste overall.
.

I have just got the .64 xl and apart from a bit of sharpness fall off towards the edges of the frame (as also seen in Metabones's MTF graphs) that can be observed on the GH5 20mp stills at 100% it's not 'soft'. On the BMPCC 4k (8mp) it's very sharp all over. I also have the Viltrox .71 EF-M2II and a metabones .71 for Sony. Again they are not soft apart from pixels peeping at high MP at the frame periphery. The function of the SB is to compress the original projected image into a smaller area so resolution will improve. I'd suggest if your images are soft then you have a faulty sample.
Dell XPS 7590 i9 9980HK, GTX1650m, 64gb RAM
1Tb NVME C drive,
2TB SSD 2nd internal.
GTX 1080ti eGPU,
Offline

Michael Moore

  • Posts: 328
  • Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 12:28 pm

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostTue Mar 24, 2020 1:33 pm

So in my case if i have Sigma 18-35 f 1.8, Canon 24-70 f2.8 and Canon 70-200 f2.8 what its a intelligent choise? x71 or XL 64?
Offline

John Griffin

  • Posts: 428
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostTue Mar 24, 2020 6:22 pm

Michael Moore wrote:So in my case if i have Sigma 18-35 f 1.8, Canon 24-70 f2.8 and Canon 70-200 f2.8 what its a intelligent choise? x71 or XL 64?

Maybe get neither and just buy a non speedbooster adapter?
Dell XPS 7590 i9 9980HK, GTX1650m, 64gb RAM
1Tb NVME C drive,
2TB SSD 2nd internal.
GTX 1080ti eGPU,
Offline

Michael Moore

  • Posts: 328
  • Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 12:28 pm

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 1:34 pm

John Griffin wrote:
Michael Moore wrote:So in my case if i have Sigma 18-35 f 1.8, Canon 24-70 f2.8 and Canon 70-200 f2.8 what its a intelligent choise? x71 or XL 64?

Maybe get neither and just buy a non speedbooster adapter?

BMPCC4K without speedbooster its not a deal for me. One reason for me to buy BMPCC4k instead BMPCC6K is +1 stop light with speedboster.
Offline

John Griffin

  • Posts: 428
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 1:58 pm

Michael Moore wrote:
John Griffin wrote:
Michael Moore wrote:So in my case if i have Sigma 18-35 f 1.8, Canon 24-70 f2.8 and Canon 70-200 f2.8 what its a intelligent choise? x71 or XL 64?

Maybe get neither and just buy a non speedbooster adapter?

BMPCC4K without speedbooster its not a deal for me. One reason for me to buy BMPCC4k instead BMPCC6K is +1 stop light with speedboster.

Have you looked at the metabones website as I'm pretty sure they have the answer you are looking for
Hint - search for "M43 Speed Booster Compatibility Chart"
Dell XPS 7590 i9 9980HK, GTX1650m, 64gb RAM
1Tb NVME C drive,
2TB SSD 2nd internal.
GTX 1080ti eGPU,
Offline

Michael Moore

  • Posts: 328
  • Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 12:28 pm

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 4:06 pm

John Griffin wrote:Have you looked at the metabones website as I'm pretty sure they have the answer you are looking for
Hint - search for "M43 Speed Booster Compatibility Chart"


I saw that Metabones advice to don't use standard x0.71/ XL0.64 to another cameras (like BMPCC 4K) because physical damage could may occur. But many GH5 user that already own a Metabones standard use it on BMPCC4K. Which speedbooster model coul be used for both cameras without vignette or another aberation?
Offline

Max Minoia

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:26 am
  • Real Name: Massimiliano Minoia

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 4:51 pm

Go with the 0.71 MFT Speedbooster, it works well with both cameras, as I said, the only issue is with fast f1.4 lenses with the BM4K.
Offline

Denny Smith

  • Posts: 11599
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:19 pm
  • Location: USA, Northern Calif.

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 5:45 pm

I agree, and have tested the MFT 0.71 SB on both Panasonic/Oly MFT Cameras and the BMD MFT Cameras, no issues, as far as camera compatibility between the two. The original Pocket 0.54 SB could not be used on Pana/Oly MFT Cameras with shutters, as it hit the shutter. This is where the compatibility issue came from. The 0.71 SB (either one) do not have this issue.

I have had and used all three SB, BMD 0.58, 0.64 and the 0.71 standard MFT SB. The BMD 0.64/0.71 SB has just been optimized for the BMD thinner sensor stack, otherwise the two are identical as far as physical construction.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions
Offline
User avatar

rick.lang

  • Posts: 12926
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 pm
  • Location: Victoria BC Canada

What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&GH5?

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 3:25 am

Denny, are your references to 0.54x meant to be 0.58x?
Rick Lang
Offline

Michael Moore

  • Posts: 328
  • Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 12:28 pm

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 10:33 am

rick.lang wrote:Denny, are your references to 0.54x meant to be 0.58x?

Rick, what metabones speedbooster do you use with your BMPCC4K?
Offline
User avatar

rick.lang

  • Posts: 12926
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 pm
  • Location: Victoria BC Canada

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 2:21 pm

I don’t at present, but I would use the Metabones SpeedBooster for BMPCC4K Ultra (0.71x) PL mount. It’s a beauty.

All my cine lenses are PL from 11mm to 85mm T2.1 or T2.9 so I’d like to pickup that extra stop of light more than I need a wider angle of view. I’ll likely get there someday.

I trust the optics of the 0.71x more than the XL 0.64x even though my ‘full frame’ lenses could manage. I prefer being in the sweet spot of my lenses and not get too close to the edges of their image circle.
Rick Lang
Offline

Denny Smith

  • Posts: 11599
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:19 pm
  • Location: USA, Northern Calif.

Re: What Metabones Speedbooster model it's good for BMPCC4K&

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 6:45 pm

Good point Rick, and yes I meant 0.58, corrected my previous post :oops:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Teemu Kyytinen and 14 guests