Feature Request: Video Assist 12g HDR support Nikon RAW

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

fabelwerk

Feature Request: Video Assist 12g HDR support Nikon RAW

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 12:31 pm

Hi there,

I bought my Video Assist 12g HDR originally as a viewfinder for my Blackmagic Pocket 4k, but since I also own a Nikon D850, I recenty tried to record the video image with the video assist and the picture quality is really nice.

Sadly, Video Assist doesn't support RAW recording of Nikon cameras yet. Since most of the Nikon cameras support uncompressed HDMI output (you can find this information by googling "nikon uncompressed hdmi"), I would really like to see support of RAW recording of Nikon cameras in Video Assist.

Blackmagic Support told me, the more popular a feature request is, the more chance it has of being implemented, so I wanted to share this with you to see, who else would be interested to see support of RAW recording of Nikon cameras with Video Assist 12g.

Stay healthy!
David

Denny Smith

Re: Feature Request: Video Assist 12g HDR support Nikon RAW

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 7:10 pm

Nikon has an exclusive deal with Apple and Atomos to provide the “raw” data for ProRes Raw. BMD will need access to a Nikon Z6 that has raw enabled (requires sending the camera to Nikon Support for a hardware change).

So more Z6/7 users are going to need to request this, and most of the ones I interact with on several other forms are not aware of BM Video Assists having the ability to record raw streams. And not many are even recording to an external recorder, from what I have seen. Those that do, think they are limited to using the Ninja V, I have posted on the Z forums you can also use VA and other external recorders like the Pix E, with very little response back.

I for one would like to see BMD crack the raw codec on the Nikon Z, this would get me to buy the new 12G VA! :mrgreen:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography