Camera control via HDMI

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ellory Yu

Camera control via HDMI

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 5:11 pm

For the 4/6K Pocket, the new fw 6.9 has it that there is "Camera control via HDMI connection". Beyond the ATEM, what does this really mean? Will there be an SDK that will allow 3rd parties to develop controllers that can control the camera via HDMI?
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Denny Smith

Re: Camera control via HDMI

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 6:45 pm

BMD indicated no, this is just for using the Pocket cameras with the new ATEM Mini Pro.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

sookreamy

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 1:52 am

Denny Smith wrote:BMD indicated no, this is just for using the Pocket cameras with the new ATEM Mini Pro.
Cheers

When did they indicate that?

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 5:33 pm

HIt was a reply in another question posted on HDMI camera control on the Live Broadcast forum, that currently, it was just for the ATEM Mini to control the two Pocket Cameras, while using HDMI cables.
Tony Rivera wrote:This announcement was for the Pocket 4K/6K cameras and the ATEM Mini and Mini Pro models only. As for future plans for other devices, we do not discuss those but will take note of the request.

But who knows what may happen in the future, after this initial release, seems they have let the gene out of the hat, by showing HDMI control of the Pocket Cameras is possible, and perhaps other remote control devices might follow, like a simple Record start/stop over HDMI, which seems to require additional hardware, as this is only available on the Mini Pro. Here is a solution using SDI ATEM CCU and Bluetooth to control the Pocket cameras:

Thibaud wrote:We've actually built a solution to make the BMPCC 4K CCU work with any ATEM through SDI. We were already using it on our gigs to before every event got postponed, but now with BM's last update it's terrific we've been able to add CCU control.
You can check it out here : https://www.middlethings.co/

BMD also mentioned converting HDMI to SDI and back would drop the CCU functions.
Tony Rivera wrote:The capabilities to control the camera require a direct HDMI connection between both devices.

This feature seems to be aimed at Mini users wanting a camera they can have CCU control over, and a switcher option (Mini) for Picket Camera users. From Gram’s comments, the package is aimed at live streaming applications, and/or “live to tape” recording for streaming

This seems like a good combo for local cable broadcasting to allow live streaming of events. like meetings over the Web during the current situation limiting public gatherings. I was going to sell my Pocket 4K to get another Micro Studio Camera, but now, have reconsidered and am ordering a Mini Pro instead.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris Leutger

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 5:48 pm

You know what would be cool? To control your Blackmagic camera with the Blackmagic Video Assist 12G. Seeing as they're the same company and all.
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 6:05 pm

Yes, this seems like the next step, but this will depend on the HDMI version used in the VA.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris Leutger

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 6:48 pm

Fingers crossed! Since Portkeys can make it work, I'd like to think the company that makes both the camera and the display could get it done.
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 9:26 pm

One could only hope (ref HDMI control on VA). I wounder if you can loop the camera HDMI through a VA and still get ATEM Mini CCU of Camera?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

Camera control via HDMI

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 2:52 am

Denny Smith wrote:It was a reply in another question posted on HDMI camera control on the Love Broadcast forum, that currently, it was just for the ATEM Mini to control the two Pocket Cameras, while using HDMI cables.
... I was going to sell my Pocket 4K to get another Micro Studio Camera, but now, have reconsidered and am ordering a Mini Pro instead.
Cheers

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with that ATEM Mini Pro and some BMPCC4Ks..
Last edited by rick.lang on Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 5:00 am

Me too Rick
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

alitus

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 8:11 pm

Get this!

HDMI control (recording start/stop) with ATEM mini pro iso works ONLY when also recording to a HD connected to the ATEM. You CANNOT start incamera recording with the ATEM unless you also record iso outputs to the ATEM's USB-C port.

So only option for me was the bluetooth app, and that has proven less than reliable.

Return to Cinematography