Pocket Camera Arrived

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ned Soltz

Pocket Camera Arrived

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 6:20 pm

Photos later...

This is a production model demo from Blackmagic for a review I am writing.

Ned Soltz

Craig Seeman

Re: Pocket Camera Arrived

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 6:48 pm

My purchase decision is in your hands. ;)

Things to test...
Lumix or Olympus lens with OIS
Metabones Speed Booster
Onboard audio recording
Low light noise with F1.8 or faster lens
How well does the Lanc controller port work
I can dream can't I? :mrgreen:

rick.lang

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 7:11 pm

Craig Seeman wrote:My purchase decision is in your hands. ;)

Things to test...
Metabones Speed Booster
Onboard audio recording

Hi, Craig! Not sure if you realize the Panasonic Lumix and Olympus lenses rely on in-camera correction of distortion (barrel/pincushion) which is not supported by the BMPCC. If you looking for a general purpose zoom lens with good performance, the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 is new and attracting a lot of attention.

The current Metabones Speed Booster for Nikon/MFT would be useful then if you added Nikon F or G lenses. There are threads here you can read for more detail. There is a Metabones Speed Booster for EF/MFT that is due to be in production in September which opens up the world of EF mount lenses (including EF-S but we need to wait to see which EF-S lenses will work with the MSB--the concern there is the rear glass element of an EF-S lens may interfere with the tolerances of the MSB).

Audio is still a work in progress on the BMCC cameras and you are right, that needs to be tested soon on the BMPCC--hopefully it works well.

No doubt the LANC will function well within the limits of its supported features. There will probably be a list of supported LANCs if they are not identical to those for the BMCC.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 7:35 pm

Craig Seeman wrote:... Lumix or Olympus lens with OIS ...

Do any Olympus MFT lenses feature IS? I know some Lumix lenses do, but Olympus MFT?

P.S.: Ned: Congrats on the new cam!

-

Craig Seeman

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 7:48 pm

Interesting about the Lumix lens. B&H lists it amongst its recommended accessories for the BMPCC
Blackmagic BMPCC product shots show a Lumix prime so I thought.
I've heard about the Sigma lens but no OIS I thought.

I was thinking of one MFT lens OIS and zoom when I'm backed into hand held moments.
The rest of my lens kit would likely be APS-C and probably Nikon F mount.

MagicAndMayhem

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 8:02 pm

rick.lang wrote:There is a Metabones Speed Booster for EF/MFT that is due to be in production in September which opens up the world of EF mount lenses

No need to wait for a speedbooster to open up the world of EF mount lenses. There are EF->MFT converters out there now.

Craig Seeman

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 8:06 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Do any Olympus MFT lenses feature IS? I know some Lumix lenses do, but Olympus MFT?
-

I just realized Olympus uses in camera stabilization so it's not likely any their lenses have IS.

Max Normandin

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 8:18 pm

rick.lang wrote:

Things to test...
Metabones Speed Booster
Onboard audio recording

Hi, Craig! Not sure if you realize the Panasonic Lumix and Olympus lenses rely on in-camera correction of distortion (barrel/pincushion) which is not supported by the BMPCC. If you looking for a general purpose zoom lens with good performance, the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 is new and attracting a lot of attention.

The current Metabones Speed Booster for Nikon/MFT would be useful then if you added Nikon F or G lenses. There are threads here you can read for more detail. There is a Metabones Speed Booster for EF/MFT that is due to be in production in September which opens up the world of EF mount lenses (including EF-S but we need to wait to see which EF-S lenses will work with the MSB--the concern there is the rear glass element of an EF-S lens may interfere with the tolerances of the MSB).

Audio is still a work in progress on the BMCC cameras and you are right, that needs to be tested soon on the BMPCC--hopefully it works well.

No doubt the LANC will function well within the limits of its supported features. There will probably be a list of supported LANCs if they are not identical to those for the BMCC.

Rick Lang

So.... one shouldn't purchase Lumix lenses for the BMPCC???

rick.lang

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 8:29 pm

Max Normandin wrote:
rick.lang wrote:

Things to test...
Metabones Speed Booster
Onboard audio recording

Rick Lang

So.... one shouldn't purchase Lumix lenses for the BMPCC???

I hope I didn't say that Max. I just meant it is good to be aware of the in-camera corrections the lens design relies on when mounted on Panasonic and Olympus micro four thirds cameras. Sites like Lenstip and the German Photozone are good at showing the uncorrected distortion for which those cameras adjust. Even without correction, the distortion may not be troublesome for your purposes. I believe John Brawley has commented favourably on the Panasonic 12-35mm he has used and felt only the Panasonic 7-14mm had objectionable distortion on the BMPCC for his purposes.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

christian.himmelstrand

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 8:30 pm

rick.lang wrote:

If you looking for a general purpose zoom lens with good performance, the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 is new and attracting a lot of attention.

This lens is only available for Canon, Nikon and Sony, not MFT?

Max Normandin

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 8:33 pm

So.... one shouldn't purchase Lumix lenses for the BMPCC???[/quote]

I hope I didn't say that Max. I just meant it is good to be aware of the in-camera corrections the lens design relies on when mounted on Panasonic and Olympus micro four thirds cameras. Sites like Lenstip and the German Photozone are good at showing the uncorrected distortion for which those cameras adjust. Even without correction, the distortion may not be troublesome for your purposes. I believe John Brawley has commented favourably on the Panasonic 12-35mm he has used and felt only the Panasonic 7-14mm had objectionable distortion on the BMPCC for his purposes.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying that Rick. Very insightful, as always. :)

rick.lang

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 8:33 pm

MagicAndMayhem wrote:
rick.lang wrote:There is a Metabones Speed Booster for EF/MFT that is due to be in production in September which opens up the world of EF mount lenses

No need to wait for a speedbooster to open up the world of EF mount lenses. There are EF->MFT converters out there now.

That's true, MagicandMayhem. But in the context of the note I posted, I was only referring to what Metabones offered in terms of support for Nikon and EF mounts only since Craig Seeman had indicated his interest in the Metabones Speed Booster. I didn't know if Craig was aware of Metabones future plans for EF lens support, but he is now.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Ned Soltz

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 8:42 pm

NedBMPC.JPG
NedBMPC.JPG (366.28 KiB) Viewed 2881 times

I'll try to test as many possible configurations as possible. Right now, I have a Lumix 14mm f/2.5 (the eval lens which Blackmagic provided me). On Thurs, will work with MFT->Nikon adapter and work with some Zeiss ZF. Have some other possibilities in mind for Wed.

For those who haven't actually handled the camera, it feels solid.

Ned

And I have no idea why the image is flipped, but I think it is kind of creative, so I'll leave it flipped.

Theodore Prentice

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 9:01 pm

Great, another review (advertisement)

I can review my own d*mn gear and shoot my own test footage, when is BMD going to stop with this spoon feeding of their cameras, AND START SHIPPING CAMERAS?

No offense Mr Soltz.

slvs

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 9:48 pm

Theodore Prentice wrote:Great, another review (advertisement)

I can review my own d*mn gear and shoot my own test footage, when is BMD going to stop with this spoon feeding of their cameras, AND START SHIPPING CAMERAS?

No offense Mr Soltz.

Step 1: Review all your equipment on YouTube
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Get BMD Cams in a semi-timely fashion?
Sam Johnson

Return to Cinematography