Cant focus electronic lenses w/ electronic adapter?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Taylor Camarot

Cant focus electronic lenses w/ electronic adapter?

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 4:51 pm

Hey BMC community, I have a pretty serious issue that I cant seem to find an answer for anywhere else. I have the BMCC MFT mount camera and the redrock micro EOS to MFT adapter (http://store.redrockmicro.com/livelensmft). I have a sigma 18-35mm on order, but I wanted to give the camera a try because I hate waiting. So I put my buddies kit lens on the T5i (18-135 f3.5-5.6 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/945056-REG/canon_8595b005_eos_dig_rebel_t5i.html) on my camera.

the lens wont focus. Aperture works beautifully using the adapter but the focus ring just spins around. Why? Is this with some/most/all electronic lenses? Will the Sigma focus?
Taylor Camarot Cinematography
taylor-camarot-cinematography.com

Denny Smith

Re: Cant focus electronic lenses w/ electronic adapter?

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 5:17 pm

The BMCC MFT mount is a "passive" mount -- no power. A number of MFT (i.e Panasonic MFT ) and Canon EOS lenses do not have a real manual focus, rather manual focus on these lenses is done by a "focus by wire" control, where manual focus ring controls the lens' focus motor, which requires power to work.
The new Sigma zoom specs show "manual" focus and a manual/auto focus switch, but it is not clear as if this is a focus by wire, or true manual focus. Sigma lists the focus as:
"Hyper Sonic AF Motor
The Hyper Sonic Motor provides fast, quiet, and smooth auto focusing that is well-suited for use with video applications. This AF motor can also be manually overridden at any time by rotating the focusing ring, giving you the ability to fine-tune image sharpness through manual focusing."

Check Internet reviews to see if anyone makes this clear.
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tom Fuldner

Re: Cant focus electronic lenses w/ electronic adapter?

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 6:14 pm

Take heart, the number of Canon EF lenses that focus by wire are extremely limited; can't speak for the ES series. In fact, the such EF lens that I know of is the 85/1.2.

Return to Cinematography