CORE POWERBASE EDGE | Review | My Favourite Battery

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Florent Piovesan

CORE POWERBASE EDGE | Review | My Favourite Battery

PostThu May 21, 2020 12:32 pm

Hey guys, here is my review of the Core SWX Powerbase Edge Battery.

As I just came back from a trip to Antarctica and I thought I would make a review about it since this battery was probably the most important part of my kit whilst being there.

So in this review I am going to explain what I like and don’t like about it, who I think it is for, and hopefully it can help you decide wether or not to buy it for yourself.

What are you guys using to power your bmpccs ?

Let me know if you have any questions :).

Cheers,
Flo
https://www.oftwolands.com

Ellory Yu

• Warnings: 1

Re: CORE POWERBASE EDGE | Review | My Favourite Battery

PostThu May 21, 2020 6:06 pm

I also like the Core Powerbase Edge as it can give me almost 3 hours of use on the P6K. But there is one big flaw to the unit - the proprietary v-mount quick release and adapter. It is made of plastic and be very careful with it. After a while, the locking mechanism gets weak and the battery can slip off, pulling the cable and could damage your camera's power port. I use the D-tap cable and it happened to me more than twice and good thing is that I was able to catch it before the cable stretched. I also had it on my camera and on a tripod. The quick release lock failed again and my camera almost fell off to the floor. I called their support but I don't think there is a remedy to it because of how it is constructed. Unfortunately it is part of the battery system and proprietary that there is no way to replace it with a better v-mount base and adapter. So just be careful when using the proprietary v-mount QR adapter.

IMG_20200221_101632.jpg
IMG_20200221_101632.jpg (79.33 KiB) Viewed 280 times
MSI Raider X99 MB / Intel i7 5280 6 core CPU / 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb GPU / 64Gb 3200 RAM / Decklink 4K Mini Monitor / 240Gb SSD OS Drive / 2Tb RAID 0 SSD Cache/Scratch Drive / 14Tb 7200rpm HDD Data Drive / Win 10 Pro 64bit / Resolve 16.2.1

Florent Piovesan

Re: CORE POWERBASE EDGE | Review | My Favourite Battery

PostThu May 21, 2020 10:26 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:I also like the Core Powerbase Edge as it can give me almost 3 hours of use on the P6K. But there is one big flaw to the unit - the proprietary v-mount quick release and adapter. It is made of plastic and be very careful with it. After a while, the locking mechanism gets weak and the battery can slip off, pulling the cable and could damage your camera's power port. I use the D-tap cable and it happened to me more than twice and good thing is that I was able to catch it before the cable stretched. I also had it on my camera and on a tripod. The quick release lock failed again and my camera almost fell off to the floor. I called their support but I don't think there is a remedy to it because of how it is constructed. Unfortunately it is part of the battery system and proprietary that there is no way to replace it with a better v-mount base and adapter. So just be careful when using the proprietary v-mount QR adapter.

IMG_20200221_101632.jpg

That's really good to know :).
https://www.oftwolands.com

Return to Cinematography