Touchscreen Failure / LCD broken, makes camera unusable

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

NikitaRoman

PostThu May 21, 2020 3:54 pm

Hello all,

I’ve recently (about one month ago) bought a BMPCC4k. Having missed a capable storage device, I’ve only used the camera to shoot some stills and some really short clips. Everything worked great.

But this past week, the screen started glitching out, at first it seemed minor, even though frustrating. I’ve read online about it being because of Autofocus, so I tried switching between AF and Manual, but the issue persisted. I even tried removing the lens, yet the screen still glitched out. I’ve also tried updating the firmware.

Right now, the camera is unusable. The screen turns on glitched out, being completely and utterly unusable. I guess if I wait and try to turn it on again in a couple hours it might work again... for a bit, until it starts glitching again. I’ve contacted support and am waiting for them to reply, so in the meantime, is this something to occur to other people as well? Did I do something wrong? I’ve also tried to remove the battery but that didn’t help surprisingly, lol.

Please help! I’ve a commercial to shoot in the immediate near future and this could pose a real issue.

Thanks in advance. I’ve submitted a picture showing how the screen looks like now:
Attachments
0B606561-A644-4FDC-97B6-49EADE9E0C47.jpeg
0B606561-A644-4FDC-97B6-49EADE9E0C47.jpeg (329.53 KiB) Viewed 1555 times

Denny Smith

Re: Touchscreen Failure / LCD broken, makes camera unusable

PostThu May 21, 2020 8:12 pm

Time to contact your regional BMD Support Office to get a RMA going and get the camera fixed.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

NikitaRoman

PostFri May 22, 2020 11:58 am

Denny Smith wrote:Time to contact your regional BMD Support Office to get a RMA going and get the camera fixed.
Cheers

F*ck! I guess that is going to take a while... I live in Eastern Europe so I expect to have it back in about a month. Do they offer some sort of inconvenience package? I have a shoot next week and I guess I’ll have to rent a pro camera...

rick.lang

PostFri May 22, 2020 3:04 pm

Talk to the vendor who sold you the camera as they may have a replacement policy that can help you out. Let them know the date your screen first started to fail.
Rick Lang

robert Hart

PostFri May 22, 2020 5:40 pm

One of my SI2K camera screens was doing that. It eventually came down to giving the left side of the screen casework a hard flick with the back of the fingernail to make it work again. It mostly would keep working for the rest of the time it was powered up.

I got it to work properly for a while by putting a paper shim behind the the rear of the LCD display panel itself, not the front touch layer inside the case. This was to maintain positive pressure upon the layers of the edge of the screen panel.

It is clamped between the front frame and the maincase of the display body. Eventually the issue came back as the plastic case deformed slightly. It was only ever a bodge up on my part.

I am guessing something delaminates and peels back somewhere enough to open joints up on mine. When you see how complex the things are and how faithbased some of the assembly of the panel layers seems to be, it is a minor miracle the the third party screen for the SI2K worked at all.

The original one which came with the SI2K was fine until it was injured by someone wrestling the display on the Noga arm without loosening it off. Tarzans on a shoot can be a problem.

The third party replacement I sourced separately was identical but not modified by P+S who probably did some further QA on theirs before using them. It was that third party replacement screen which played up.

If you cannot get any joy from BM, you might first try pinching firmly with fingers on the front and back of the screen case edges to make pressure upon the LCD panel itself. If that works anywhere around the case edge, try slipping some fine hard plastic sheet between the screen surface and the outer frame to maintain some clamping pressure on that side.

The pressure must be evenly distributed or you will get hue changes and possible crush damage on the LCD panel itself or the touch layer if you are too forceful.

I hope you find the solution and let us know how it panned out.

NikitaRoman

PostFri May 22, 2020 7:43 pm

rick.lang wrote:Talk to the vendor who sold you the camera as they may have a replacement policy that can help you out. Let them know the date your screen first started to fail.

Thanks for the advice. I already contacted BM support and I sent an RMA, so I’ll go with them for now. Hopefully it won’t take too long

rick.lang

PostFri May 22, 2020 9:01 pm

Excellent.
Rick Lang

carlomacchiavello

PostMon May 25, 2020 12:19 am

NikitaRoman wrote:
rick.lang wrote:Talk to the vendor who sold you the camera as they may have a replacement policy that can help you out. Let them know the date your screen first started to fail.

Thanks for the advice. I already contacted BM support and I sent an RMA, so I’ll go with them for now. Hopefully it won’t take too long
For Europe is in Uk, to me and to many my friends in Italy, service was very fast from 4 days to ten days, from when fedex grab mine to when they give me back repaired or replaced.
I wish for you the fast service as soon as possible

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Uli Plank

PostMon May 25, 2020 1:55 am

Also had very good experience with UK service from Germany.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

NikitaRoman

PostFri Jun 19, 2020 12:11 am

Hello all, checking in to update you guys on BM support. I sent the camera to them in the UK and received it back in about a week. I was trying to get an advanced replacement unit but apparently it wasn’t possible, which sucks, but I still had a great experience with their support. Happy customer here!

Return to Cinematography