Switronix not good enough?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Max Normandin

Switronix not good enough?

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 5:18 am

Switronix seems like an affordable solution to the BMCC power dilemma. But I've read conflicting reviews ranging from A+ to D-.

Those of you out there who are currently using it: are you satisfied with your purchase?

MN

Christian Schmeer

Re: Switronix not good enough?

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 5:31 am

I'm very satisfied with the product. What do the negative reviews say about it?
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Max Normandin

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 5:35 am

Takes 24 hours to charge and only provides 4 hours of battery. I think I read this on Amazon. I scoured the web and found 2-3 similar ''negative'' reviews.

Can you confirm, infirm this according to your own experience?

Also, this is the kit I was ''just about ready'' to buy. Just wanna make sure there's nothing missing. Fully operational? :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... _pack.html

Dustin Uy

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 6:05 am

4-6 hours of charging, 2-3 hours of battery

A good way to use this so it lasts a lot longer than 3 hrs is once youre charged 100% on the bmcc, unplug it from the cam, plug it back when youre down to 50%

Marshall Harrington

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 6:18 am

Agree with Dustinuy, 4-6 hours to charge (depending on how far it's down) 2-3 hours of use but for me that that use is more than the camera. It also includes a shuttle, and a monitor. And it is pretty much on the longer side of the 2-3 hours.

I did have a problem when I first got the battery with a longer charge. I called Vinny and he told me to run the cell dry and then charge it full. It's been perfect ever since and Vinny's been a wealth of knowledge too. Guess he should be since that's what he does all day long.

That being said I am switching over to V-Lock battery system with 3 - 90 Wh batteries which should let me work all day without problem, and get on a plane.

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions I'm all ears.

But I'll keep the 70 in reserve for occasions when we need another battery.

Scott Stacy

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 10:13 pm

I have two Pro-X batteries and they are great. I had one powering my remote focus motor for 4.5 hours last night and still had three green lights out of 4. Just get two and then you're covered and then they can charge overnight.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 17.4

Joe Serkoch

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 7:55 pm

Just shot 10 hours on a single battery yesterday! I powered down when I wasn't rolling... which wasn't a big deal. Fantastic power solution... can't say enough good things!

John Waldorff

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 8:39 pm

Switronix works great for me.
At first I had the impression that it was quite an expensive solution because I was not used to spending so much on power.
However I'm really happy with the solution.

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 9:37 pm

One thing I have to say though: The battery itself is sturdy. The BMCC power cable adapter part that clips onto the battery however, is only "somewhat" sturdy. It's not flimsy by any means, but I've dropped it and the battery is totally fine, but the adapter has a crack in it. To replace that part is around £80 :roll: Might be worth it for me to buy another battery with adapter instead.

Does anybody know what cable or adapter I need to connect the BMCC via the DTAP port instead?
www.christianschmeer.com

Jayson Rahmlow

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 11:32 pm

I just got 2 switronix batteries with the switronix bmcc plate and powerbase charger (basically a wall charger with a ptap plug). I noticed it was taking forever to charge the battery through the ptap port on the battery itself, but it only took ~4 hours to charge through p-tap on the switronix plate. Also, when charging the battery directly I unplugged it like 20 hours later and the 3rd bar was flashing (3 out of 4 bars) but when I checked the battery level after unplugging it, 4 bars showed up like it was fully charged. Is it okay to charge the battery directly or should I always be charging through the switronix plate?
Jayson Rahmlow
Applejackfilms.com
Los Angeles

Sean Pfeiffer

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 11:56 pm

I just got one of those bundles off of Adorama that includes a BMCC and a Switronix PB-70 battery with all the needed extras(powertap and contact block). I wish I could give my first impression of how the battery performs, but unfortunately I got a bad contact block with it. The dang thing sparks every time I insert the battery into it, the powertap charger doesn't work with it either(LED indicator turns off when plugged in), and the charge indicator LED's on the battery itself don't work when the battery is inserted either, and most important of all, the camera doesn't register that it is being charged when the battery and contact block are plugged into it. Mind you, all of these things seem to work fine when the battery isn't inserted into the contact block(camera charger LED notwithstanding). I think it's fairly obvious that I've got a short somewhere in there.

I had been seriously contemplating getting a second battery anyway, and considering that the time it takes to actually get a replacement contact block from Adorama, I decided to buy myself a second battery with an included contact block for BMCC, should arrive in the mail on monday.

I've heard figures that indicate that the switronix PB-70s will give you continuous recording as long as 6 hours. I wonder if that is if you are just using it to power the camera with no extras plugged into it. I think things like EVFs and monitors are pretty hungry.
Sean Pfeiffer

Marshall Harrington

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 12:03 am

S_Pfeiffer wrote:I just got one of those bundles off of Adorama that includes a BMCC and a Switronix PB-70 battery with all the needed extras(powertap and contact block). I wish I could give my first impression of how the battery performs, but unfortunately I got a bad contact block with it. The dang thing sparks every time I insert the battery into it, the powertap charger doesn't work with it either(LED indicator turns off when plugged in), and the charge indicator LED's on the battery itself don't work when the battery is inserted either, and most important of all, the camera doesn't register that it is being charged when the battery and contact block are plugged into it. Mind you, all of these things seem to work fine when the battery isn't inserted into the contact block(camera charger LED notwithstanding). I think it's fairly obvious that I've got a short somewhere in there.

I had been seriously contemplating getting a second battery anyway, and considering that the time it takes to actually get a replacement contact block from Adorama, I decided to buy myself a second battery with an included contact block for BMCC, should arrive in the mail on monday.

I've heard figures that indicate that the switronix PB-70s will give you continuous recording as long as 6 hours. I wonder if that is if you are just using it to power the camera with no extras plugged into it. I think things like EVFs and monitors are pretty hungry.

You should give Vinny a call at Switronics. He's a great guy. Really smart and super helpful. He may ask you to send it back to Adorama. I did the same deal, had a problem and thats what he told me to do. The replacement works perfect. It's good to know there's someone on the inside who's down to earth and you can talk with. About batteries that is.

Scott Stacy

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 8:40 pm

Christian Schmeer wrote:One thing I have to say though: The battery itself is sturdy. The BMCC power cable adapter part that clips onto the battery however, is only "somewhat" sturdy. It's not flimsy by any means, but I've dropped it and the battery is totally fine, but the adapter has a crack in it. To replace that part is around £80 :roll: Might be worth it for me to buy another battery with adapter instead.

Does anybody know what cable or adapter I need to connect the BMCC via the DTAP port instead?

I use this configuration:

http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catalog/u ... -Universal

http://store.redrockmicro.com/P-Tap-Cable-PowerPack

http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catalog/u ... Blackmagic
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 17.4

Christian Schmeer

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 9:21 pm

CineMusic wrote:
Christian Schmeer wrote:One thing I have to say though: The battery itself is sturdy. The BMCC power cable adapter part that clips onto the battery however, is only "somewhat" sturdy. It's not flimsy by any means, but I've dropped it and the battery is totally fine, but the adapter has a crack in it. To replace that part is around £80 :roll: Might be worth it for me to buy another battery with adapter instead.

I use this configuration:

http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catalog/u ... -Universal

http://store.redrockmicro.com/P-Tap-Cable-PowerPack

http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catalog/u ... Blackmagic

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, but that's out of my price range for a contact block / cable replacement. Costs as much as another battery with contact block. :?
www.christianschmeer.com

Aaron Scheiner

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 9:42 pm

I've got six Switronix battery packs and so far they've all worked really well :) . The only issue so far is that the power connector going into the BMCC sometimes doesn't make contact, but that's only an issue if the camera is in a bag/the connector gets messed around a lot. I use them with my Shuttles too :) .

Nikolay Smirnov

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 9:46 pm

I think you should better get one of those V-Lock mounts for the backside of the rig, gives you same results + outpowers more devices.
Pretty unexpensive solution:
http://www.amazon.com/Lanparte-Battery- ... B00ARABA9I

Switronix Powerbase 70 lasted me 5 hours on the timelapse yesterday, powering the camera only. The camera was fully charged too.
Last edited by Nikolay Smirnov on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Aaron Scheiner

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 9:55 pm

Nikolay Smirnov wrote:Switronix Powerbase 70 lasted me 5 hours on the timelapse yesterday, powering the camra only. The camera was fully charged too.

That makes sense... Peter found an Adam Wilt article which stated that the camera draws approximately 18 Watts... which means a 70WHr battery would last 3.9 hours. The internal battery lasts around 45 minutes, so 5 hours is better an expected.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Adam Wilt has published his 2nd article about the Blackmagic Cinema camera, including some useful new info (such as the camera's power draw is approx. 18 watts): article

Christian Schmeer

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 11:34 pm

Nikolay Smirnov wrote:

I think you should better get one of those V-Lock mounts for the backside of the rig, gives you same results + outpowers more devices.

Switronix Powerbase 70 lasted me 5 hours on the timelapse yesterday, powering the camera only. The camera was fully charged too.

Thanks for the tip! Do you use the Lanparte V-Mount? If so, have you seen any difference using 12V or 15V for the BMCC?

I recently came across this V-Mount solution from TILTA. I wonder which one is better. The Lanparte has a powered-USB connection (not sure that's needed), as well as an HDMI splitter (don't really need this either), but the TILTA looks thinner/simpler and seems to have an OFF/ON switch, which the Lanparte doesn't.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tilta-V-Mount ... 417530fb9f
www.christianschmeer.com

Nikolay Smirnov

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 12:06 am

Christian Schmeer wrote:
Nikolay Smirnov wrote:

Thanks for the tip! Do you use the Lanparte V-Mount? If so, have you seen any difference using 12V or 15V for the BMCC?

I recently came across this V-Mount solution from TILTA. I wonder which one is better. The Lanparte has a powered-USB connection (not sure that's needed), as well as an HDMI splitter (don't really need this either), but the TILTA looks thinner/simpler and seems to have an OFF/ON switch, which the Lanparte doesn't.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tilta-V-Mount ... 417530fb9f

As long as I know BMCC powers from 12V cable, so yea. I think there is no real difference.
I would go for the Tilta, better quality to my taste. Both actually are Chinese manufactors tho :P
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Loch Phillipps

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 12:32 am

I have 2 Switronix PB-70 and love them. There is a lot that is troublesome about my BMCC and rig, but battery power has not been even close to a problem so far.

I'm curious though. How are people powering their monitors off the Switronix? I would love to do that. It would lighten the load on my shoulder and charging fewer kinds of batteries would be nice. I have a SmallHD AC7.
Loch Phillipps

Christian Schmeer

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 1:16 am

Nikolay Smirnov wrote:As long as I know BMCC powers from 12V cable, so yea. I think there is no real difference. I would go for the Tilta, better quality to my taste. Both actually are Chinese manufactors tho :P

I guess I'll go with the TILTA then :) I hope that rail mount has a 1/4" thread, so I can mount it onto the BMCC directly as well if needed.
www.christianschmeer.com

Star Trak

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 1:22 am

Wouldn't it hurt your internal battery if you keep unplugging your external battery letting the BMCC go down to 50% and then plugging the external back in? Surely doing it this way for a long time isn't good for the BMCC's internal battery.

Peter Odio

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 1:52 am

We have been shooting for 14 days 12-14 hour days. 2 cameras.

Using the IDX 7s battery we get roughly 10-11 hours of continued operation. No external monitor or EVF attached to the battery, just the camera. Also we stat the day with internal batteries on the BMCC fully charged.
promedios.tv

Christian Schmeer

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 2:11 am

Peter Odio wrote:Using the IDX 7s battery we get roughly 10-11 hours of continued operation. No external monitor or EVF attached to the battery, just the camera. Also we stat the day with internal batteries on the BMCC fully charged.

10-11 hours without turning it off at all? The IDX7s has 68Wh, similar to the Switronix PB70 (70Wh). How come the IDX7s lasts longer?
www.christianschmeer.com

Rafael Molina

PostSat Nov 09, 2013 12:44 am

Marshall Harrington wrote:
S_Pfeiffer wrote:I just got one of those bundles off of Adorama that includes a BMCC and a Switronix PB-70 battery with all the needed extras(powertap and contact block). I wish I could give my first impression of how the battery performs, but unfortunately I got a bad contact block with it. The dang thing sparks every time I insert the battery into it, the powertap charger doesn't work with it either(LED indicator turns off when plugged in), and the charge indicator LED's on the battery itself don't work when the battery is inserted either, and most important of all, the camera doesn't register that it is being charged when the battery and contact block are plugged into it. Mind you, all of these things seem to work fine when the battery isn't inserted into the contact block(camera charger LED notwithstanding). I think it's fairly obvious that I've got a short somewhere in there.

You should give Vinny a call at Switronics. He's a great guy. Really smart and super helpful. He may ask you to send it back to Adorama. I did the same deal, had a problem and thats what he told me to do. The replacement works perfect. It's good to know there's someone on the inside who's down to earth and you can talk with. About batteries that is.

So, in the end ¿Which one had the problem, the Battery Charger or the Power Base Block?
Rafael Molina
Independent Professional Filmmaker and Producer
Medellín – Colombia

BMCC EF
Reseller: Televisión y Video Digital Ltda.
Ordered: 28th january 2013
Arrived: 5th june 2013

Dmitry Kitsov

PostSat Nov 09, 2013 4:03 pm

I have two different products. A battery and a power distribution station. Both of them have issues and a battery had to be sent for repair (one of the mounting posts broke off). The power station has an on light not working out of the box. Went to look inside to see if the cable was de soldered. The whole thing looks like the inside of cheaply made Chinese electronics. Lots of glue. The rule of the thumb seems if we put it inside the metal housing we will charge you extra 400 dollars.
So statistically speaking 2 out of 2, albeit a small sample.
Dmitry Kitsov

Joseph Hung

PostSat Nov 09, 2013 7:07 pm

I use two XP-L90S and they are great. You can fly with these batteries. Powers the camera and EVF for 3-4 hours, sometimes 5-6 hours depending on your workflow. I do unplug the battery between takes and during downtimes from the camera to conserve batt (it will charge the cam's battery while it's powered down and still plugged in).
I use a v lock 2 battery charging station which will charge batteries in MUCH less time than the D-Tap wall charger.
Regardless if you have the station or not, 2 XP-L90S's will pretty much last all day.
Very happy with the Swit batts and customer service, and the price can't be beat!

Rafael Molina

PostSat Nov 09, 2013 7:24 pm

footagehead wrote:I use two XP-L90S and they are great. You can fly with these batteries. Powers the camera and EVF for 3-4 hours, sometimes 5-6 hours depending on your workflow. I do unplug the battery between takes and during downtimes from the camera to conserve batt (it will charge the cam's battery while it's powered down and still plugged in).
I use a v lock 2 battery charging station which will charge batteries in MUCH less time than the D-Tap wall charger.
Regardless if you have the station or not, 2 XP-L90S's will pretty much last all day.
Very happy with the Swit batts and customer service, and the price can't be beat!

¿Will charge the battery in less time the the D-Tap, what V Lock 2 battery charging station are you using? Thanks
Rafael Molina
Independent Professional Filmmaker and Producer
Medellín – Colombia

BMCC EF
Reseller: Televisión y Video Digital Ltda.
Ordered: 28th january 2013
Arrived: 5th june 2013

Jules Bushell

PostSat Nov 09, 2013 7:31 pm

Christian Schmeer wrote:
Nikolay Smirnov wrote:As long as I know BMCC powers from 12V cable, so yea. I think there is no real difference. I would go for the Tilta, better quality to my taste. Both actually are Chinese manufactors tho :P

I guess I'll go with the TILTA then :) I hope that rail mount has a 1/4" thread, so I can mount it onto the BMCC directly as well if needed.

I went with the TILTA. Great choice, I like the way you can tilt it back for better balance and put on longer lasting 90wh batteries (compared to 70wh on the Switronix battery).

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Margus Voll

PostSun Nov 10, 2013 11:53 am

I have those:

http://www.bebob.de/Batteries-and-chargers/V190.html

Cam, evf and monitor not shutting off once.
You can run on it almost the full day.

Really endless power. I have 2 of them.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

bodybyvi

PostSun Nov 10, 2013 5:27 pm

actually the porduct gives me very good service. i am fully satisfy with it what ever it gets me. like it to use and also find it interesting during its use.

Return to Cinematography