Camera 6.9.3 Update for URSA Mini Pro G1 - ONLY

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ellory Yu

Camera 6.9.3 Update for URSA Mini Pro G1 - ONLY

PostTue May 26, 2020 7:08 am

So this update is only for the G1. No update for the G2. :(
Does the G1 have ND Filters built in? I thought it didn't. I'm not sure. Only had the G2.
The update say it has status for ND filters.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Gavin_c_clark

Re: Camera 6.9.3 Update for URSA Mini Pro G1 - ONLY

PostTue May 26, 2020 7:58 am

Nice little update

Yes the g1 has an nd filter wheel

Frank Glencairn

PostTue May 26, 2020 8:07 am

• Add ability to disable function and HFR buttons.

• Retain jam synced timecode after power cycle.
• Improved jam sync timecode accuracy after playback.

Thank you! I was hoping for those since day one.
Makes my life so much easier :-)
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostTue May 26, 2020 10:20 am

No problems. Thanks Frank. It's nice to get some positive feedback sometimes.

Uli Plank

PostTue May 26, 2020 10:28 am

Another big 'Thank You' from my side!
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Patrick Spectra

PostTue May 26, 2020 10:29 am

Update went smooth. Great update for the UMP too! Thanks BM!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gavin_c_clark

PostTue May 26, 2020 11:01 am

Tim Schumann wrote:No problems. Thanks Frank. It's nice to get some positive feedback sometimes.

I think it’s fair to say with this update you’ve ticked off everything I could want with my ursa mini pro, thanks Tim, nicely done.

Of course if you ever did figure out four channel audio please feel free to add that but otherwise crack on with that 15k, 30 stop pocket camera for £1200 that also has the form factor of a studio camera that everyone seems to want to fill up the petabytes of storage they have on their computers. ;)

plzbrt

PostTue May 26, 2020 11:14 am

I hope this is the right thread for the following, please feel free to move it if it's not.

First of all thanks for the great update in terms of features and general "catching up" with the g2 and pockets, I appreciate that a lot and I love all the features and little quality of life improvements like the small lut icon and the constant ND indicator.

On my UMP from may 2018 I have a massive problem though. I know the camera quite well having shot a lot with it the last two years and I feel like I know every spot of minor vertical FPN streaks in the shadow areas my particular unit has by heart.
But after updating from 6.0 to 6.9.3 and testing this update I get the same variety of streaks but much more noticeable in the highlights, at the near clipping point where false color yellow turns to red (you can even see the streaks in the false colors, the same way you can see them where blue goes to purple in the blacks).
These streaks seem to show up especially hefty when not all channels are perfectly equal so at the point where you're not clipping to the white you're balanced at but to something a little more saturated, that means skies, natural colors and whatnot look quite bad, unfortunatley.

Here's a basic grade to show it off, I hope you can see it in the OOF areas, the pink flowers and the transition to the sky:
v693_1.15.1_proc.jpg
v693_1.15.1_proc.jpg (174.85 KiB) Viewed 9576 times

here's a similar shot only a couple of minutes later after reverting to 6.0, everything back to normal:
v600_2.1.1_proc.jpg
v600_2.1.1_proc.jpg (547.16 KiB) Viewed 9576 times

Of course I properly calibrated the sensor a couple of times with 6.9.3 to verify, and checked different lenses and subjects, but it's very persistent and reproducable, nothing going on on the computer either since you can clearly see it in camera as well, both in false color (and directly on the picture when attaching a bigger screen - pretty hard to see on the built-in one)

Here's the two braw stills exported from resolve so you can compare yourself:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I'm really sorry to ruin this otherwise nice update and hope it's just some particular units or even a single case, but at this point this version is unusable for me and I hope someone at BMD can investigate.
Cheers

Gavin_c_clark

PostTue May 26, 2020 2:07 pm

Had a chance to have a little play over lunch- really impressed- that auto exposure is ridiculously fast- it’s not something I would have ever relied on in the past but I can see me using that a fair bit for corporate and documentary work.

Also thank you for giving me the option to remap the HFR button- it’s ruined my evening a couple of times whilst my head was buried in the viewfinder.

Great job well done!

timbutt2

PostTue May 26, 2020 2:08 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:No problems. Thanks Frank. It's nice to get some positive feedback sometimes.

You guys did a great job bringing this out for the G1 owners. Hope you guys are staying safe in Australia!
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Ed_Mantle

PostTue May 26, 2020 2:49 pm

Very nice! Thanks guys. Remapping HFR is great! Frame guides, too and of course jm sync updates.

Ambassador, with these updates you are spoiling us.

Ed_Mantle

PostTue May 26, 2020 2:51 pm

Gavin_c_clark wrote:
Tim Schumann wrote:Of course if you ever did figure out four channel audio please feel free to add

Ooohh, yes please. Presume it won't happen but I remember searching long and hard for an internal recording solution for 4 audio channels that didn't involve an FS7.

Relatively happy with having a separate mixer for now.

carlomacchiavello

PostTue May 26, 2020 5:05 pm

Great update, you give us near to all wishes...
- more zoom to preview focus like pocket4k/6k?
i think both of owner (g1, g2) would like to see it.

Ellory Yu

PostTue May 26, 2020 6:04 pm

Is the G2 getting a firmware update too?
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

John Brawley

PostTue May 26, 2020 6:42 pm

Ha thanks Tim. Can't make everyone happy ! I saw a post the other day "complaining" that the 4.6K hadn't had any love so you can't win !!

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

carlomacchiavello

PostTue May 26, 2020 7:29 pm

we are happy that g1 is yet in your maintenance list ;-D

Jeffrey Hahn

PostWed May 27, 2020 5:41 am

Sebastian,

I'm curious if this issue is happening with other formats like ProRes in addition to the BRAW you provided.

Thanks!

jh

plzbrt wrote:I hope this is the right thread for the following, please feel free to move it if it's not.

First of all thanks for the great update in terms of features and general "catching up" with the g2 and pockets, I appreciate that a lot and I love all the features and little quality of life improvements like the small lut icon and the constant ND indicator.

On my UMP from may 2018 I have a massive problem though. I know the camera quite well having shot a lot with it the last two years and I feel like I know every spot of minor vertical FPN streaks in the shadow areas my particular unit has by heart.
But after updating from 6.0 to 6.9.3 and testing this update I get the same variety of streaks but much more noticeable in the highlights, at the near clipping point where false color yellow turns to red (you can even see the streaks in the false colors, the same way you can see them where blue goes to purple in the blacks).
These streaks seem to show up especially hefty when not all channels are perfectly equal so at the point where you're not clipping to the white you're balanced at but to something a little more saturated, that means skies, natural colors and whatnot look quite bad, unfortunatley.

Here's a basic grade to show it off, I hope you can see it in the OOF areas, the pink flowers and the transition to the sky:
v693_1.15.1_proc.jpg

here's a similar shot only a couple of minutes later after reverting to 6.0, everything back to normal:
v600_2.1.1_proc.jpg

Of course I properly calibrated the sensor a couple of times with 6.9.3 to verify, and checked different lenses and subjects, but it's very persistent and reproducable, nothing going on on the computer either since you can clearly see it in camera as well, both in false color (and directly on the picture when attaching a bigger screen - pretty hard to see on the built-in one)

I'm really sorry to ruin this otherwise nice update and hope it's just some particular units or even a single case, but at this point this version is unusable for me and I hope someone at BMD can investigate.
Cheers
--
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K, w/ SSD recorder, URSA 4K
Mac Pro 6,1 / 8 core Intel Xeon, 3.5 GHz / 64 GB RAM
Ultrastudio 4K
DR Editor Keyboard
Blackmagic Thunderbolt SSD Dock
Resolve Mini Panel
2 TB SSD cache, 16 TB project array, 36 TB project archive

timbutt2

PostWed May 27, 2020 7:50 am

John Brawley wrote:

Ha thanks Tim. Can't make everyone happy ! I saw a post the other day "complaining" that the 4.6K hadn't had any love so you can't win !!

JB

Say John, are you calling me out about my post here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=110715

I'll fully admit to "complaining" a little. However, I do want to praise the team because they do fantastic work. And, this update did give me hope that the Frame Guides update will come to the G2. That will allow me to set custom 1.66:1 guides so I can emulate Super 16mm if ever I want to.

Otherwise, I like to keep pushing the team to take things to the next level. Especially when it comes to something like that metadata update. And, I have some ideas brewing about virtual camera technology integration.

After seeing the Original URSA Mini in BTS footage from The Mandalorian and The Lion King testing the Volume, and after seeing Matt Workman of Cinematography Database using a UMP G2 to do virtual camera work, I'd love to see Blackmagic enter into this arena with building into their cinema cameras the tools. This includes a built in "Valve" like camera tracker. Imagine with the integration of Ultimatte with some Fusion tools to do virtual environments live on set. OMG! Blackmagic could rule and dominate the camera & post arena with these tools.

Anyways, I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm beginning research into the tech myself. But first need to put together this short I'll be shooting soon. More details on that to come. Either UMP G2 or Alexa Mini, but either way Cooke S4 lenses. I'm working with a production company that has the lenses and an Alexa Mini, so tough to say which camera will be chosen at the moment. But I'm tempted to push for the UMP G2 to prove that nice lenses on a camera like the G2 really makes it a beast.

plzbrt

PostWed May 27, 2020 10:43 am

Jeffrey Hahn wrote:Sebastian,

I'm curious if this issue is happening with other formats like ProRes in addition to the BRAW you provided.

Thanks!

jh

I didn't check any prores flavors, so unfortunately I can't say anthing about that until I man up and try again. I'll leave the camera at 6.0 for the next couple of upcoming jobs though, so we'll have to see if anybode else has some issues till then.

Dmytro Shijan

PostWed May 27, 2020 12:59 pm

plzbrt wrote:On my UMP from may 2018 I have a massive problem though. I know the camera quite well having shot a lot with it the last two years and I feel like I know every spot of minor vertical FPN streaks in the shadow areas my particular unit has by heart.

I guess you need to do Black Shading calibration after update.
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

plzbrt

PostWed May 27, 2020 1:10 pm

Dmitry Shijan wrote:I guess you need to do Black Shading calibration after update.

It might be lost in the wall of text, but of course I calibrated after the camera was warmed up. A couple of times, checking if it went away each time.

Uli Plank

PostWed May 27, 2020 2:53 pm

He wrote he did that: "Of course I properly calibrated the sensor a couple of times with 6.9.3 to verify,…"
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

John Brawley

PostWed May 27, 2020 5:24 pm

timbutt2 wrote:
John Brawley wrote:

JB

I'll fully admit to "complaining" a little. However, I do want to praise the team because they do fantastic work. And, this update did give me hope that the Frame Guides update will come to the G2. That will allow me to set custom 1.66:1 guides so I can emulate Super 16mm if ever I want to.

Otherwise, I like to keep pushing the team to take things to the next level. Especially when it comes to something like that metadata update. And, I have some ideas brewing about virtual camera technology integration.

After seeing the Original URSA Mini in BTS footage from The Mandalorian and The Lion King testing the Volume, and after seeing Matt Workman of Cinematography Database using a UMP G2 to do virtual camera work, I'd love to see Blackmagic enter into this arena with building into their cinema cameras the tools. This includes a built in "Valve" like camera tracker. Imagine with the integration of Ultimatte with some Fusion tools to do virtual environments live on set. OMG! Blackmagic could rule and dominate the camera & post arena with these tools.

Anyways, I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm beginning research into the tech myself. But first need to put together this short I'll be shooting soon. More details on that to come. Either UMP G2 or Alexa Mini, but either way Cooke S4 lenses. I'm working with a production company that has the lenses and an Alexa Mini, so tough to say which camera will be chosen at the moment. But I'm tempted to push for the UMP G2 to prove that nice lenses on a camera like the G2 really makes it a beast.

Not at all Tim !!

More just that people like Tim the product manager here rarely get thanks for the efforts they make before we get threads asking for other things.

I was singling you out at all !

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

timbutt2

PostWed May 27, 2020 9:56 pm

John Brawley wrote:
timbutt2 wrote:
John Brawley wrote:[quote="Tim Schumann"]No problems. Thanks Frank. It's nice to get some positive feedback sometimes.

JB

Not at all Tim !!

More just that people like Tim the product manager here rarely get thanks for the efforts they make before we get threads asking for other things.

I was singling you out at all !

JB[/quote]Okay, sounds good. You know I wish we could all pitch in a get the camera development team a present. They definitely deserve it.

Dennis Sørensen

PostWed May 27, 2020 11:01 pm

plzbrt wrote:I hope this is the right thread for the following, please feel free to move it if it's not....

But after updating from 6.0 to 6.9.3 and testing this update I get the same variety of streaks but much more noticeable in the highlights, at the near clipping point where false color yellow turns to red (you can even see the streaks in the false color...

You arent the only one. I have seem multiple people reporting this on Facebook. Definitely something the team needs to look into.

Theofanis Kavvadas

PostThu May 28, 2020 6:18 am

plzbrt wrote:I hope this is the right thread for the following, please feel free to move it if it's not.

v693_1.15.1_proc.jpg

v600_2.1.1_proc.jpg

Cheers

Yep. Same here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1lrnmrnepv0dd ... 1.jpg?dl=0

4.6K BRAW 12:1 + Extended Video LUT -> UHD jpeg

You can see that the darker areas are basically free of pattern noise, which is very much fun, but FPN in the highlights is even worse as that usually is the area where you want to look in the frame.

Someone in FB did a test to roll back to FW 6.2 and the problem went away. Guess I'll do the same.
i9-9900K, 32GB, RTX2070
UMP G1 + P4K

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 28, 2020 6:58 am

We are onto this.

Vess Stoytchev

PostThu May 28, 2020 7:33 am

Great update, thank you very much BM!

About the FPN, I'll have to check it out and report. Usually FPN is a lot more visible in BRAW unlike in ProRes.

Stefan Vrachev

PostThu May 28, 2020 8:56 am

Vess Stoytchev wrote:Great update, thank you very much BM!

About the FPN, I'll have to check it out and report. Usually FPN is a lot more visible in BRAW unlike in ProRes.

Why shoot BRAW then...
https://vimeo.com/stefanvrachev

plzbrt

PostThu May 28, 2020 10:47 am

Just did a bit of more testing and braw and prores have the exact same defects on my camera on 6.9.3., nothing going on with the encoding there. Also did some tests without calibrating first and then calibrated. It does pretty much nothing in 6.9.3, so I guess something way deeper in the processing is broken.

Vess Stoytchev wrote:About the FPN, I'll have to check it out and report. Usually FPN is a lot more visible in BRAW unlike in ProRes.

From my experience with my own and a whole bunch of rental UMP G1s that isn't true, full res film gamma prores and braw (only cdng has a bit more if anything, but that's another story) have the same amount of the "normal" FPN in the shadows. Things might be a bit different with scaled down UHD or even FHD prores, sure.

Vess Stoytchev

PostThu May 28, 2020 10:57 am

Here is a test: URSA MINI PRO G1 - FPN HILIGHTS TEST | firmware version 6.9.3 vs 6.3.0

Dennis Sørensen

PostThu May 28, 2020 9:29 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:We are onto this.

<3

Stephen Fitzgerald

PostThu May 28, 2020 11:02 pm

Hi Tim,
Great update, love my G1 even though I couldn’t get the faulty sensor hot pixel issue fixed....can the G1 get pixel remapping? PLEASE :)

Stephen Fitzgerald

PostFri May 29, 2020 3:01 am

Oh crap, there’s definitely a strange image processing things going on in this new update. It’s like shifting magenta and green with the FPN, it isn’t every frame, but it’s many frame.

Forget my request for pixel remapping until this is taken care of. Definitely unusable, I tried prores and braw in 4.6k and 1080, same thing. It’s very strange. :?

Uli Plank

PostFri May 29, 2020 4:24 am

Tried BRAW Q0 and the issue is definitely there.
My G1 is very clean under FW 6.0, but 6.9.3 is showing the FPN issue in the highlights with magenta and green strikes. I took care of warming it up and doing a Black Shading.

As much as I'd like the new features, I will have to revert and wait.

eskelinen

PostFri May 29, 2020 8:20 am

v693_1.15.1_proc.jpg

v600_2.1.1_proc.jpg

Cheers

Hello Sebastian. I got exactly the same problem when I updated to the new firmware. The problem disappeared when I downgraded to 6.0.

nebesnyy123

PostFri May 29, 2020 8:12 pm

I have the same issue with a new software. :(

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_Nd663 ... sp=sharing

Amer Shanabli

PostFri May 29, 2020 8:16 pm

Hi, i have same problem after i update my camere with version v6.9.3... i have visible FPN in highlights... even on white background, super ugly, my today shooting was compromise.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/479c4b98125c4ce02db950e72bd9d85c20200529201448/7aa39df76d4c1b0075548364f419baeb20200529201508/4b3d33

plzbrt

PostFri May 29, 2020 8:38 pm

Amer Shanabli wrote:Hi, i have same problem after i update my camere with version v6.9.3... i have visible FPN in highlights... even on white background, super ugly, my today shooting was compromise.

Yeah, I wouldn't go out and shoot like that.
You can safely revert to an earlier firmware like 6.0 or 6.2 by uninstalling the camera setup 6.9.3 program completely and reinstalling the older version, it will "update" your camera back to where it was and the issue should disappear.
We will just have to wait till BMD fixes the 6.9.3

timbutt2

PostSat May 30, 2020 6:00 am

Amer Shanabli

PostSat May 30, 2020 9:20 am

Thank you,

I know, i downgrade to v6.2 and now it's ok but it is frustrating... everything I filmed yesterday was compromised... even no one tests these updates before publishing?

plzbrt wrote:
Amer Shanabli wrote:Hi, i have same problem after i update my camere with version v6.9.3... i have visible FPN in highlights... even on white background, super ugly, my today shooting was compromise.

Yeah, I wouldn't go out and shoot like that.
You can safely revert to an earlier firmware like 6.0 or 6.2 by uninstalling the camera setup 6.9.3 program completely and reinstalling the older version, it will "update" your camera back to where it was and the issue should disappear.
We will just have to wait till BMD fixes the 6.9.3

Mike Potton

PostSun May 31, 2020 3:50 am

Yeah, unstable updates have been a staple for the ump unfortunately. If I remember at least two previous updates had major bugs that would lead to camera lock ups.

It’s clear Blackmagic doesn’t test the updates properly and arguably nore should they, it’s resource intensive and this is a discontinued camera. It’s incredible that we are receiving such feature rich updates to a camera so long after launch at all, It sets BMD apart and extends the life of the camera for our benefit at no charge. It’s awesome and I’m sure every ump owner is grateful.

However it’s not ok for a release to be singled as final and for it to wreck footage.

An elegant solution if BMD doesn’t have the will or resource to test properly would be to release the updates as a beta, then re-label them as a general release after a couple weeks of community testing. A beta was released during the braw launch and it sent the perfect signal that we should try it out only under inconsequential conditions, so no harm was done.

rick.lang

PostSun May 31, 2020 3:08 pm

Mike, I can’t be certain since I don’t have that camera, but BMD may well have sent a pre-release to beta testers who own the camera. Still I agree the buck stops with BMD.

Nonetheless I thought it was standard practice for the shooter to verify any new release before risking a client shoot. Verifying a release can be very difficult for anyone with the best of intentions since there are so many possible things to test. Your idea of issuing a beta version even for micro releases (6.9.3b2) may catch on encouraging many more people to “ask questions and shoot later.” I think no one will use a beta on a client shoot. The existing behind-the-scene beta testers would still be needed but their version could be an earlier alpha version or a beta with a leading 0 or 1 eg 6.9.3b0 or 6.9.3b1).

Although readily apparent when shooting this time, it may have escaped beta testers since the FPN area wasn’t obviously an identified area that was changed according to the release notes for 6.9.3.
Rick Lang

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 7:13 am

We have a fix for this bug and will get it out ASAP.

If anyone would like a Beta build in the mean time then please let me know via PM.

Stephen Fitzgerald

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 7:18 am

Thanks for the heads up Tim. Look forward to check out the beta and possibly provide feedback.

Dmytro Shijan

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 7:41 am

Tim Schumann wrote:We have a fix for this bug and will get it out ASAP.

If anyone would like a Beta build in the mean time then please let me know via PM.

SLightly offtopic, but is it possible to fix known FPN in deep shadows in BMMCC as well? :roll: Camera can recover so many data and dynamic range from underexposed image but only 2-3 stops recovery is the real life limit. 4-5 stops recovery looks ok, but produce strong FPN. 6 stops recovery looks too extreme...
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Uli Plank

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 11:22 am

Well, more than 2-3 stops recovery IS extreme. But since it's FPN, you can use a black frame and subtract it.

Vess Stoytchev

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 11:36 am

<3

timbutt2

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 3:50 pm

Very happy to hear this Tim! Great job! I don 't have the G1 so can't test the beta for you sadly, but I want to praise you guys. Hopefully you get it out of beta soon and into the hands of everyone with a G1!

plzbrt

PostTue Jun 02, 2020 2:05 pm

Quick update regarding the fpn highlights issue:
Thanks to Tim Schumann I got the chance to check the 6.9.4 beta, which seems to fix the problem completely. I've only ran it for a couple of hours but so far it's rock solid, everything that 6.9.3 promises works just fine and I can't tell the difference in picture quality from 6.0.
Thanks BMD for figuring out that one so quickly! Looking forward to the full release, the changes in UI and especially font rendering are wonderful
Next

Return to Cinematography