(Rookie Question) Lens with Blackmagic Pocket 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

matthieucote

Re: (Rookie Question) Lens with Blackmagic Pocket 4K

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 10:29 pm

Yeah it's really a question of availability at the moment I might order one and be patient but I was looking for a short term solution and Viltrox Mount Adapter EF-EOS M2 0.71x was available but I understand it's not the good one.

Otherwise any suggestion on a lens below 35mm that could fit directly in my BMPCC4K? I'd like one with a range, I was looking at maybe that one, not that it's best but I could get it this week and it would solve my problem:

Panasonic Micro Four Thirds Lens LUMIX G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH
https://www.amazon.ca/Panasonic-Thirds- ... 167&sr=8-3

I'm doing an indoor shoot and my 35-100mm is not ideal.

edit: seeing some not-so-good reviews, maybe if you have suggestions I'm all ears

edit 2: Got my eye on this one even though it's fixed 25mm
Panasonic HH025 LUMIX G Lens, 25mm, F1.7
https://www.amazon.ca/Panasonic-HH025-L ... 4B4NQ65KV6

matthieucote

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 5:44 pm

Happy Sunday Blackmagic family, soon it will 1-year since I have my BMPCC4K and I have "no ragrats".

Question for you, I bought the Metabone SpeedBooster with the Sigma 18-35mm and I LOVE the outcome of the first few indoor shots I was doing.

I went outside (Very bright outside with the snow and the sun on top at 12:00PM), took a few quick shots, the metabone speedbooster takes a lot of light so I had to trop the iso very low.

Went inside and looked at the shots and there's a spot in the screen, I was so disappointed! It doesn't shows when I was shooting inside, but for some reason when I went out I saw this stain, you will see when I'm shooting inside we don't see it, but outside you will notice a stain in the lens (or metabone?), sorry for the awkward shots:

(you will see it best at 0:13)

Is this the first time you're seeing this? Am I doing something wrong with my settings?

Thanks for letting me know and for your feedback in advance!

Howard Roll

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 5:57 pm

The effects of dust begin to manifest visually around f11, they're largely invisible at lower stops. This particle in particular is likely perched on the IR filter glass awaiting discovery.

Good Luck

matthieucote

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 6:09 pm

Howard Roll wrote:The effects of dust begin to manifest visually around f11, they're largely invisible at lower stops. This particle in particular is likely perched on the IR filter glass awaiting discovery.

Good Luck

Ah-Ha! Exactly I had to go to f11 because it was so bright outside, even my ISO at 100 it was over exposed with the MetaBone SpeedBooster...

Any tips for that?

Thanks again for clarifying and making my mind at ease I didn't receive a defective product.

BennoZ

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 6:24 pm

Yes, use a (variable) nd filter, it’s a must for shooting outside. Lowering ISO is not the solution.
F11 is the highest value of this lens and you really should avoid this.

matthieucote

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 6:44 pm

BennoZ wrote:Yes, use a (variable) nd filter, it’s a must for shooting outside. Lowering ISO is not the solution.
F11 is the highest value of this lens and you really should avoid this.

Makes total sense, I was thinking there's no way that's the solution, do you have one to suggest?

I'm looking at this here, would that fit on a Sigma 18-35mm Lens? That's what I use with the Metabone on my Blackmagic.

edit: this one is 72mm like the filter on my lens
https://www.amazon.ca/Concept-Variable- ... NrPXRydWU=

Thanks so much for answering guys, also why I never regretted my purchase, so much support here for amateurs and beginners like myself!

BennoZ

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 6:51 pm

I’m using this one and am very happy with the results:
XS-PRO ND-Vario 1-5 MRC Nano 72mm

smunaut

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 8:18 am

I'm curious, Did you manage to find the issue and clean it out ?
Resolve Studio - Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD RX6600 / NVidia RTX 4070 (switching between the 2) - Linux

matthieucote

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 1:26 am

smunaut wrote:I'm curious, Did you manage to find the issue and clean it out ?

The issue was mostly because I was at F11 like one user mentioned, however I could try cleaning it, do you recommend using some specific products for that?

Robert Niessner

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 7:33 am

matthieucote wrote:Ah-Ha! Exactly I had to go to f11 because it was so bright outside, even my ISO at 100 it was over exposed with the MetaBone SpeedBooster...

I'd just like to add for your information that changing the ISO does NOT help you with exposure. The camera has 2 ISO gain stages. 1st stage is from ISO 100 - 1000, 2nd from ISO 1250 - 6400 (above that it will increase gain slightly and reduce available dynamic range a bit). Stage 2 has around 1 stop less dynamic range than stage 1.

In between each stage the dynamic range is always the same, regardless of the ISO setting. Changing the ISO just visually changes the applied curve. If you shoot BRAW, you can change the ISO of a stage up and down as you like and it will look like it was shot at that ISO. It's just meta data.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

matthieucote

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 6:15 pm

Thanks for the insights, I need to mess around more with the settings and there's always more to learn for sure!

Shot this last night with the MetaBone SpeedBooster and the Sigma 18-35mm, the stain in the lens is really just visible at F11, I've had no issues with that since.

matthieucote

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 7:21 pm

Update: I did have some issues with that stain and I don't remember going at F11, any tips on removing those stains?

It's clearly not coming from the aforementionned Sigma and Metabone because I was using a regular MFT Lumix Lense directly mounted on my Blackmagic...

I know it's very tricky and you don't want to make it worse but it's a bit of an issue.

matthieucote

PostMon Mar 22, 2021 10:21 pm

matthieucote wrote:Update: I did have some issues with that stain and I don't remember going at F11, any tips on removing those stains?

It's clearly not coming from the aforementionned Sigma and Metabone because I was using a regular MFT Lumix Lense directly mounted on my Blackmagic...

I know it's very tricky and you don't want to make it worse but it's a bit of an issue.

Sorry to be *that guy* but I will bump this hoping for an answer, looking for advice on how to clean that stain in my lens opening, it seems to be directly on my BMPC4K camera because I tried different lenses and it always seems to be there when I'm shooting in daylight.

Thanks again for your help, this forum has been helping me a lot in my first year with my Blackmagic!

BennoZ

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 7:36 am

Did you clean the glass in front of the sensor very well? If this doesn’t solve the problem it can be dust in the inside and therefore you have to bring your camera back to Blackmagic.

matthieucote

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 11:07 pm

BennoZ wrote:Did you clean the glass in front of the sensor very well? If this doesn’t solve the problem it can be dust in the inside and therefore you have to bring your camera back to Blackmagic.

Would you recommend anything specific for that? I don't want to make it worse...

Thanks,

Uli Plank

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 2:56 am

We use a product called Arctic Butterfly, but follow the instructions carefully
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

BennoZ

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 7:00 am

Just something simple you clean glasses with.

Uli Plank

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 8:04 am

Careful! Some of those leave smeary substances, claiming to reduce fogging.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

drknsss

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 11:25 am

Hi!

I got my Pocket 4K last year and it was difficult figuring out what lenses and accessories to get.

If you are a hobbyist and shoot general stuff like short documentaries and travel videos then you should get the Sigma and a prime lens or two. I Use Nikon glass because the autofocus on this camera is a not very useable. I also believe if you use the same lenses and accessories as everyone else you get the same results as everyone else. I also think digital cameras are way too sharp so I turn off sharpening in the camera and use lots of vintage lenses.

Vintage lenses are also cheaper to start of so that is a great option.

Unless you work with a camera assistant pulling focus I suggest not spending money on wireless follow focus like the Nucleus products. A V Mount battery rig is more important to get IMO.

If you are a narrative filmmaker I suggest exploring vintage Canon FD lenses and Russian primes. Go to estate sales and pawn shops and you can find great deals.

matthieucote

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 10:27 pm

Uli Plank wrote:We use a product called Arctic Butterfly, but follow the instructions carefully

Yeah I'm nervous to make it worse, but I will look into it, if anyone have other suggestions to clean a stain like that don't hesitate!

matthieucote

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 8:52 pm

That shot was causing me trouble but I was able to use the Patch Replacer in Da Vinci Resolve with a strike of genius *insert evil laugh*... problem is not fixed but I wrote to Blackmagic support.

Attachments
stain3.png
stain3.png (456.48 KiB) Viewed 2480 times

matthieucote

PostFri Aug 06, 2021 4:07 pm

Just wanted to do a quick update here and speak about the level of quality of Blackmagic's customer service.

After talking with their customer service they confirmed they could help me, I had to send my camera to them (I took an insurance too, I was very nervous sending my work tool to California), so it costs around 100-200$ to ship it, not too bad.

They send it back after one month, and the problem was fixed! I was super pleased with my experience, made some tests and the Stain is gone!

Previous

Return to Cinematography