braw compression check afterwards ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Vi-Dan

braw compression check afterwards ?

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 3:55 pm

hey guys,

some knows if is there a option to check which compression on the braw files is? 5:1 , 3:1 etc ?

thanks!!

Robert Niessner

Re: braw compression check afterwards ?

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 4:21 pm

You should be able to see this in the metadata inspector of Resolve, if my memory serves me right.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

John Brawley

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 7:30 pm

Vi-Dan wrote:hey guys,

some knows if is there a option to check which compression on the braw files is? 5:1 , 3:1 etc ?

thanks!!

In the metadata of the media or edit page page (top right) you can see it's listed there.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Vi-Dan

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 8:41 pm

thanks guys! found it!

Ellory Yu

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 8:55 pm

I would like to see BMD add the metadata and slate inspector on the next release of BRAW Player. That will be very helpful when previewing clips in the field.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 02, 2020 6:57 am

Ellory Yu wrote:I would like to see BMD add the metadata and slate inspector on the next release of BRAW Player. That will be very helpful when previewing clips in the field.

Not that it directly addresses your request, but you can also preview some metadata in OSX finder by doing "get info" on a file and looking at the "more info" section (includes compression ratio etc)

more info.png
more info.png (127.32 KiB) Viewed 2219 times
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Ellory Yu

PostTue Jun 02, 2020 2:30 pm

CaptainHook wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:I would like to see BMD add the metadata and slate inspector on the next release of BRAW Player. That will be very helpful when previewing clips in the field.

Not that it directly addresses your request, but you can also preview some metadata in OSX finder by doing "get info" on a file and looking at the "more info" section (includes compression ratio etc)

Cap, thanks for this info. I didn't bother to even look at that thinking it wouldn't have some details of braw files. This is a good stop gap but yes, I do hope a more robust metadata and slate inspector on the BRAW player (WIN and MAC) will be valuable.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

John Brawley

PostTue Jun 02, 2020 3:29 pm

CaptainHook wrote:

more info.png

Hook you just blew my mind !

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Ellory Yu

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 12:27 am

@Captain Hook, can you convince BMD to add metadata and slate info feature to the BRAW player? Although the file info is a good stop gap, there are many times that we are on the field with an older MBP or Windows PC that struggle to playback clips just so we can preview the shots while at the field. Doesn't have to be complicated. Might even just have a keyboard toggle that will display the info as a overlay to the picture. Thanks!

planedrop

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 6:01 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:You should be able to see this in the metadata inspector of Resolve, if my memory serves me right.

Any chance this changed with 17 or something? I'm not seeing this listed in the metadata and forgot what compression I shot this footage in so I'd like to know.

Uli Plank

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 2:54 am

It's still there in 17. You need to set your metadata display to Camera (or All and do quite some scrolling).
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to Cinematography