Advice needed - Reality project shoot and BMPCC 6K?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Robdoc

Advice needed - Reality project shoot and BMPCC 6K?

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 1:58 am

Hey everyone,

I have a question and was wondering how you would handle this. I have two different reality-type projects I am creating and will film.

For something that is not going to need a "film-type" look (it would be good if it just looks natural) how would you film it? I have been doing test videos in braw format and then using davinci to grade it. With this reality type filming i imagine I would have a ton of footage and it would almost seem not necessary to grade it.

With that being said, how would you shoot it? (I have the BMPCC6K) What settings etc? I was thinking something in 4k?? ( I have a camcorder and it just seems easier to shoot something like this on that.)

I am not doing this for a company. I am doing it on my own in hope's that I can pitch it.

Ellory Yu

Re: Advice needed - Reality project shoot and BMPCC 6K?

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 6:13 am

With your BMPCC 6K, just shoot in 4K DCI or UHD Pro-res 422 HQ Video with most walk about lens (with OIS) that you may have already and be done with it. It will be the easiest to do (little setup, no post) and it's likely going to be much better than your camcorder. Have some way to capture audio and bring enough batteries for a day's shoot. You'll also probably be able to get away with just using SDXC cards (a couple of 256Gb SanDisk Extreme Pro U3) which are cheap these days. Go make your reality picture.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Stephen Press

Re: Advice needed - Reality project shoot and BMPCC 6K?

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 2:19 am

There are so many variables with reality shoots. My advice if you are serious pre-produce a solid weeks worth of shooting. Hire a professional camera person/crew for that week. Shadow them hard, learn all you can and at the end of the week you should be able to answer many of your own questions... and you will have enough properly shot footage to cut a kick-ass teaser for your shows.
"A cameraman with out a camera is just a man"

Return to Cinematography