Can I use Minolta MD glass on BMCC2.5k MFT Mount?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

tomguestshaw

Can I use Minolta MD glass on BMCC2.5k MFT Mount?

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 5:36 am

Hey, got some old MD glass, will MD -> MFT adapters work for the Cinema Camera 2,5k MFT?

Thanks

Steve Holmlund

Re: Can I use Minolta MD glass on BMCC2.5k MFT Mount?

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 2:45 pm

tomguestshaw wrote:Hey, got some old MD glass, will MD -> MFT adapters work for the Cinema Camera 2,5k MFT?

Thanks

Thom,
I have the original BMPCC (MFT mount) and use the dumb Fotodiox-m4/3 adapter. It works great. I had a different manufacturer's previously (can't remember which one) and it didn't fit well.

I've had the Metabones MFT-MD Speedbooster in the past and that also worked, although on some MD lenses (e.g. 35-70 zoom) you have to clip the aperture pin as it hits the glass on the Metabones Speedbooster. There was maybe one other Rokkor where that happens; it's not most of them.

Metabones has improved their Speedbooster since I had mine but they're not cheap, ~$450 in the US and the MFT-MD version isn't always available. Also, BMD uses a thinner covering on the sensor (technical name escapes me at the moment) than is typical on MFT cameras so there was an issue with lenses set below F1.8. Search the forum on "Brian Caldwell" (the Speedbooster designer) and you should locate his explanation.

There are no electrical connections either way; everything is manual.

So you should have a similar experience with the BMCC2.5k MFT mount but I don't have that camera specifically.

Maybe start with the dumb adapter approach (e.g. Fotodiox); it's not expensive. I forget the FOV/crop factor vs. FF for the BMCC.

Cheers,
Steve
Last edited by Steve Holmlund on Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

Uli Plank

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 2:29 am

Sure you can! I have a whole collection of Minolta SR lenses and love them.

There are very few of the oldest MC models which have a protruding element at the rear and won't fit adapters with glass in them. But the simple adapters will work with all of them.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Steve Holmlund

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 2:40 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Sure you can! I have a whole collection of Minolta SR lenses and love them...

Thom,
By the way, Uli's the author of an awesome thread on Rokkor lenses over at RedUser. I've referred to it often.

https://www.reduser.net/forum/showthrea ... ival-Guide

And, in spite of the increase in mirrorless FF cameras, it seems some of the gems are still very reasonable on eBay. A couple weeks ago, a beautiful 58mm 1.2 (the Bokeh Monster) from an estate sale went for $300 with only 1 bidder. It took a lot of restraint not to bid.

Steve

EDIT: maybe vintage FF lenses can't be adapted easily to the new FF mirrorless?
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

Uli Plank

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 3:24 pm

Thank you for the kind words, Steve!

When Canon's EF mount was still dominating the market, Minolta SR lenses were cheap, since most of them could not be adapted to EF. Now that even Canon has a short mirrorless mount, just like the others, you can adapt nearly every piece of glass from the last 80 years (or more).

I love to shoot with my Minolta lenses on the Sony A7 cameras.

This guy has a few very good reviews on vintage lenses, many Minolta SR among them:
https://phillipreeve.net/blog/
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Brad Hurley

PostSun Jun 21, 2020 4:18 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I love to shoot with my Minolta lenses on the Sony A7 cameras.
This guy has a few very good reviews on vintage lenses, many Minolta SR among them:
https://phillipreeve.net/blog/

Uli, this convinced me to look into these lenses and I got a nice MC Rokkor 1:1.7 55mm for about $35 from eBay, shipped from Japan. I love it! I am saving up for an A7 (and waiting to see what new models come out this year) but in the meantime I'm using it on my old NEX-6, where it becomes a telephoto lens. I posted a few photos on my flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/135631509 ... 4804916626

I look forward to trying this lens on my Micro Cinema camera as well; just have to get an MFT adapter for it.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Uli Plank

PostSun Jun 21, 2020 4:30 pm

Another one to love. I think I didn't even write about it in my introduction.
It's not as biting sharp as the 50mm 1.4 PG, but has nicer bokeh and is still sharp enough. The colours remind me a bit of the older Pentax lenses, kind of painterly. And you can still find it dirt cheap, since most people aim at the 1.4 or even the 1.2 and are overlooking this gem.

Return to Cinematography