Major Issue UMP-G1 FW 6.9.4 (HELP!)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Andrew Allsbury

Major Issue UMP-G1 FW 6.9.4 (HELP!)

PostSat Jun 20, 2020 8:10 pm

So two days ago I upgraded our barely used Ursa Mini Pro 6.3k G1 to the 6.9.4 Firmware. Shot tests for about an hour and everything ran great. Moved the footage over to my laptop, edited then rendered a quick test using all kinds of compression options and framerate options from the footage I captured...everything was perfect.

Put away camera.
Next day:

Shot for about 20 minutes, reviewed in camera, moved footage to laptop. Nothing but audio and black/red bars in premiere. Audio and black screen in BM Raw Player. Figured it was a software/laptop issue, tested on my other laptop that works fine with BRAW and is fully up to date, same exact issue. Reset camera to defaults, shot a ton of tests on differing media (CFast, SD, different Brands, diff sizes) at all the diff settings, focusing on high bitrate, ie 2k 120fps QO, 4.6k 60fps Q0, etc. Some of the footage would work, some would not (same issue as above).

So I downgraded to 6.9.3 FW...everything works perfect...2 hrs of testing...re-upgrade to 6.9.4...back to square one or worse..no footage shot seems to play on either computer now using 6.9.4.

Let me be clear, this does not seem to be a computer/software issue as other braw footage in my archive and sample footage online plays back fine on the same timeline, or in raw player.

NO Idea what could be causing this lol. Help! :?
Thanks!

Uli Plank

Re: Major Issue UMP-G1 FW 6.9.4 (HELP!)

PostTue Jun 23, 2020 7:28 am

It's just a minor update missing in Resolve.

I'm quite sure you have used the new fractional ISO values in the UMP G1. They don't display in Resolve yet, but your footage is not lost, just change the value in the RAW tab to the next full value (like 400, 800 etc) and voilá – there is your clip again. A bit annoying, but no catastrophe. If you need a specific correction, use exposure instead.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

BenjMorel

Re: Major Issue UMP-G1 FW 6.9.4 (HELP!)

PostTue Jun 23, 2020 7:25 pm

Oh my god, thanks for the reply, it's so helpful. I had the same problem and we had to reshoot the interview. It's really bad that BM release such a version with such a big problem for professional videographer !
Anyway, it work easy just changing the iso setting in Davinci.
Cheers and good luck
Benjamin Morel
http://benjaminmorel.net

Return to Cinematography