I pulled my SD card out of running BMPCC 4K...

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

forkbird

I pulled my SD card out of running BMPCC 4K...

PostSun Jun 21, 2020 6:59 pm

Hi all!

I have this 300MB/s 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro card. I was shooting RAW indoors, it was eating up the card space fast, so I was moving footage to my laptop on the go. I finally took the card out of BMPCC 4K without turning it off by accident.

Now, the card is invisible to my laptop, BMPCC4 K and also my other camera. It can't be formated as it's not detected. I tried to play around with DiskPart on Windows. It says 'no media' and the SD card size is '0B'. I was not able to mount it, clean and reformat in any way.

I don't really want to download tons of 'recovery software' from the Internet just to find out that it won't work.

Is there anything I can do (or any software you know that works) to get my SD card to run again? I don't want to recover any footage. I just want to format it fresh.

Ellory Yu

Re: I pulled my SD card out of running BMPCC 4K...

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 6:28 pm

Sorry to hear about your accident. You might be better of getting a new card. Even if you can recover, it may be unreliable. And by the way, the 300MB/s is the read speed so it means nothing when it comes to recording. Sustain write speed is the variable that is important. Having said that, you can save a lot of money just getting the 170MB/s read speed which has a burst write speed of about 130MB/s. Although the 300MB/s has a burst write speed of about 200MB/s, both of these cards only have a max sustain write speed of 90MB/s. Therefore, there's not real advantage, at least when it comes to recording on the BMPCC to get the 300 over the 170 (or UHS2 over UHS1). You can get a 170MS/s 64Gb Sandisk Extreme Pro for about $20USD. But if you insist to but the UHSII, well go ahead. This is just a suggestion. Good luck!
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Robert Niessner

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 9:05 pm

Every SanDisk Extreme Card comes with a serial in its package for a recovery software. That's what I would try first.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Jun 23, 2020 9:05 pm

Return to Cinematography