BMPCC4K control by Arduino/Raspberry PI

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

hankthefourth

BMPCC4K control by Arduino/Raspberry PI

PostThu Jun 25, 2020 11:55 pm

Hello all,

I would like to trigger my pocket cinema camera from a raspberry Pi or arduino...
Have a signal come from the computer to the camera and make it take a still image--
hopefully 5 to 10 times a second.
in the usual BRAW format

Does anyone know how to do that? or a link to a How-to...

Thanks!!

Bill

Csaba Nagy

Re: BMPCC4K control by Arduino/Raspberry PI

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 2:06 am

Your best best would be to investigate the USB PTP function of the BMPCC4K.

PTP ( Picture Transfer Protocol ) is a common standard for interfacing with cameras over USB. Sony, Canon, Nikon, etc... all have this abillity.

Start with this google search: "Raspberry Pi PTP Camera Control"
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

hankthefourth

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 10:58 am

Csaba Nagy wrote:Your best best would be to investigate the USB PTP function of the BMPCC4K.

PTP ( Picture Transfer Protocol ) is a common standard for interfacing with cameras over USB. Sony, Canon, Nikon, etc... all have this abillity.

Start with this google search: "Raspberry Pi PTP Camera Control"

okay thanks man!!

DanielMahlknecht

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 10:02 am

I would like to trigger my pocket cinema camera from a raspberry Pi or arduino...
Have a signal come from the computer to the camera and make it take a still image--
hopefully 5 to 10 times a second.
in the usual BRAW format

Thats almost exactly what I'm trying to do, but I just started experimenting with arduino (I'm at the blinking led level right now...)

But I would be happy with the cinemaDNG that the Pocket4K uses when taking fotos.
So a photo remote would do for me, if the camera is able to take at least 7 photos per second when triggered remotely without buffer overrun... A Time-lapse function would not do in my case, as I need to sync to a mechanical event, probably with a fork light barrier or a solenoid trigger.

Plan is to trigger the Pocket4K with the moving parts of an Oxberry Shuttle and build this way a 35mm telecine unit. The fast forward of the Oxberry I use is about 6 to 7f/sec (an old CINEON Genesis Plus with the scanner unit removed)

Remoting through USB is not ideal, as the port would be occupied unless a usb hub would allow both, remote signal and external SSD drive.

It would already be helpful if someone would know whether the Pocket4K is theoretically able to take 7 (better 10) Photos per second or not. So I would not waste time on the Pocket Idea and move on to an other camera.

thanks
Daniel

jorbedo

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 2:04 am

I had been testing Gphoto2 with the latest 7.3 update, it's a lot better and faster. No way you can transfer files over USB, camera doesn't show any files, It is not possible to capture stills at 7 to 10 fps, maybe 2 to 4 the max I think so, use off speed frame rate with gphoto2 movie record trigger.

If you want to test any workflow, let me know.

Return to Cinematography