T7 SSD not working with BMPCCs

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mark Foster

Re: T7 SSD not working with BMPCCs

PostTue Oct 11, 2022 8:38 pm

today BMD has published the new list of supported and tested media.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59026

the T7 now appears here, but only the new "shield" variant.
all others are not supported (and will not be due to the structure).

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

MadPanic

PostThu Oct 13, 2022 9:41 pm

VMFXBV wrote:Just be careful with the QVO as these will drop speed significantly (like to 100MB/s) after half the drive is full. They use space available to act like a SLC buffer for speed.

I order two 2Tb 870 QVOs in the lightning sale (primarily for just file storage / backup), but as they are not in use yet, gave one a go on the BMPCC6K. It seems that 6K 3:1 & 6K 5:1 are a little hi and miss even with a freshly formatted card. However, I have now had a 6K 8:1 recording going for 2h42 minutes with 27m left on the card and still going strong. The scene has been a mixture of lighting and as it got dark, flick lights on / off to give maximum change that it would need to cope with, and it hasn't dropped a single frame (I have it on stop on bad frames).

Interesting point though about the speed, and definetly worth considering. I normally shoot 6K 12:1 so I am hopeful that I won't hit issues. Good to have some cheaper backups. I also note that T7 Shields have been added to the list of supported drives recently.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 build7, MacStudio M2 Ultra 128Gb, OSX Sonoma,10TB SSD (2TB, & 2x 4TB). URSA Broadcast 6.7, BMPCC 6K, Cubase 13

VMFXBV

PostFri Oct 14, 2022 2:33 pm

MadPanic wrote:
VMFXBV wrote:Just be careful with the QVO as these will drop speed significantly (like to 100MB/s) after half the drive is full. They use space available to act like a SLC buffer for speed.

I order two 2Tb 870 QVOs in the lightning sale (primarily for just file storage / backup), but as they are not in use yet, gave one a go on the BMPCC6K. It seems that 6K 3:1 & 6K 5:1 are a little hi and miss even with a freshly formatted card.

Yeah. The drives are ok. I haven't used one on camera, but I use a 8TB QVO for editing (basically for read speed - source drive) and its as good as any Sata SSD. Write speeds are a different story :). In camera we use 860Pros. Different ballgame :).
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

RipzDK

PostMon Oct 24, 2022 3:06 pm

Have anyone heard or used this device?
I wonder if they have a 6K version too..!?

https://www.facebook.com/reel/642237040633385

robert Hart

PostWed Oct 26, 2022 11:21 am

I have but one simple question.

Would one grab a ten day dead chook from the fowlhouse in the heat of summer and expect it to serve up as a tasteful and sustaining roast dinner?

It may look like a sumptious roast.

If one is in the throes of a heavy-duty dance with Rona (COVID) it might even taste like a sumptious roast.

One might even convince oneself with the help of some self-hypnosis or a psychotic episode that it IS indeed a sumptious roast.

None of that will change the real-world etiology of it laying siege to your digestive system as it passes through you. At the conclusion of the process, something is bound to be not quite right.

One can go through the motions of using a sub-standard SSD when it does not suit in a perfect enactment of the process. That is perfect as a rehearsal for later using something which is appropriate for the task.

I am one of the first to sink the boot into BM when something goes pearshaped but in fairness one should also say that they are doing the best they can with what they have whilst living within their means. That is not easy given labour costs and energy prices in Oz.

From my peerings inside the gizzards of various G1 cameras my attitude changes a little. They have not been sitting on their hands in some faith-based rigour that with more of the same, everything is going to be all-right but have been making the necessary changes as needs must.
Previous

Return to Cinematography