BMPCC4k with a Speedbooster OR BMPCC6k for ANAMORPHIC?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

hopsbarrel

BMPCC4k with a Speedbooster OR BMPCC6k for ANAMORPHIC?

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 3:23 pm

Thoughts on BMPCC4k with a Metabones Speedbooster XL(0.64x)/ Ultra (0.71x) OR a BMPCC6k for anamorphic shooting using the ISCO anamorphic lens? (With the 6k you can get 3.7k resolution vs 2.7k on 4k but crop factor seems to come into play between the M43 and Super35 sensors).

Eugenia Loli

Re: BMPCC4k with a Speedbooster OR BMPCC6k for ANAMORPHIC?

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 5:59 pm

I'd go for the BMPCC 4k with a Viltrox 0.71x speedbooster (just make sure you adjust it properly to have infinity focus -- some don't have it out of the factory), since it's much cheaper and it gives you a crop factor of 1.35x which is even better than Super35 or a bmpcc 6k with spherical lenses. Then, you can get a vid-atlantic 58 and 77mm filter to emulate the anamorphic aperture (for lenses longer than 40mm). Or you can get the Sigma 18-35 with the Vid-atlantic special back-filter for that specific lens. Or buy some Iron Glass or Retro FotoHouse modded lenses for an anamorphic aperture (28mm to 135mm). Is it true anamorphic? No. But it's good enough, rather believable, you don't have to deal with stretching and losing too much of your vertical screen estate when you export, it's faster to edit, and you don't have to deal with big adapters.

The ISCO adapters are more expensive than the faux solutions and from what I see in their sample videos, they vignette really bad (look at the shape of their aperture, it's not true oval, they're cut off on the top, and become skinny on the sides -- this suggests lens vignetting).

My faux anamorphic examples:
Iron Glass various modded lenses:

RetroFotoHouse Helios 58mm

Vid-atlantic front filter (exaggerated the swirliness on this one via Fusion, it's not as swirly in reality)
Collage artist, illustrator, filmmaker: https://vimeo.com/eugenia

dondidnod

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 6:30 pm

Redheads are hot! Good job on the BMPCC 4K short film.

The Ironglass lenses are full frame with an oval aperture. Since an MFT camera shoots through a small window in the center, do you have to choose a less aggressive desqueeze in post since you don't see the full oval?

Eugenia Loli

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 7:04 pm

Thanks! I used a speedbooster. It's quite close to FF, and the oval mod doesn't take the whole aperture vertical opening anyway. I'd say it's well suited for a 1.35x crop camera.
Collage artist, illustrator, filmmaker: https://vimeo.com/eugenia

Adam Langdon

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 12:18 am

What is your budget?

You can get into anamorphic adapters (taking lens, projector lens, single focus solution) for a wide variety of budgets, or go with something more simple like a 1.33x Sirui Anamorphic for MFT.

My current Anamorphic (using adapters) setup cost about $2500, but I can use it on my Ursa Mini Pro and go as wide as a 40mm.

If you get a Vazen 1.8x anamorphic lens, they run about $3250 each and are only MFT, I believe.
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

hopsbarrel

PostSat Jul 04, 2020 6:01 pm

Thank you everyone for commenting but we're going off topic on this one, just trying to get a better feel for the difference between these two cameras when it comes to using Canon glass and the Isco anamorphic lens. What I am trying to find out is, while you can get a better crop factor of 1.3 when you have the P4k with a Focal Reducer of .71, is that a better option than the P6k with a 1.5 crop factor but a better sensor? And if you are wider you run the risk of vignetting but on the other hand you do get a sharper and brighter image. This is in contrast to something like the GH5 which shoots in 4:3 and allows you to capture more of the sensor for anamorphic. I'm only interested in 2x anamorphic.

Boardpig

PostTue Jul 07, 2020 1:17 am

I'm using the BM4K with an Aviascope 1.5x and 28 or 25mm taking lens. Gives me approx 50mm FF which is ideal. Only issues is that the AVIA isn't cheap but gives amazing results.

Sorry, just realized this was about the speed booster. Yes, go with the 0.71 and bm4k.

Cheers,
Alex.

pnguyen720

PostTue Jul 07, 2020 1:37 am

Boardpig wrote:I'm using the BM4K with an Aviascope 1.5x and 28 or 25mm taking lens. Gives me approx 50mm FF which is ideal. Only issues is that the AVIA isn't cheap but gives amazing results.

Sorry, just realized this was about the speed booster. Yes, go with the 0.71 and bm4k.

Cheers,
Alex.

Hi Alex,
Do you have a link to any video with this setup?

Boardpig

PostTue Jul 07, 2020 3:31 am

pnguyen720 wrote:
Boardpig wrote:I'm using the BM4K with an Aviascope 1.5x and 28 or 25mm taking lens. Gives me approx 50mm FF which is ideal. Only issues is that the AVIA isn't cheap but gives amazing results.

Cheers,
Alex.

Hi Alex,
Do you have a link to any video with this setup?

Here are a few examples Ive shot recently with the Kamlan 28mm MFT lens and the Aviascope, no need for a booster.
They are mostly family stuff etc so dont expect Deakens level ;-) but it gives you an idea. You can also shoot at f1.4 and it is still usable.

Cheers,
Alex.

https://vimeo.com/423416889/ae782a2597
https://vimeo.com/402457587/c332c1bde2

Return to Cinematography