What camera do you want to buy from BM next?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

John Brawley

Re: What camera do you want to buy from BM next?

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 10:50 pm

Dmitry Shijan wrote:Dual gain may be not an easiest way, but it is the only way that may provide desent increase in dinamic range and noise structure. Canon now start to use dual gain sensors and result looks really nice.

BMD HAS DONE DUAL GAIN from their very first camera. They know what it takes.

I don't think it's the only way. BMD themselves showed that with the 12K using W pixels to extend DR. There's other ways you can design sensors to extend DR.

And as I mentioned, ask yourself why no-one else is using dual gain sensors from Fairchild. Z cam...? Kinefinity?

Cause they're freakin hard to dial in. No-one wants to do that work. BMD included.

Dmitry Shijan wrote:1. I wish BMD cameras being more consistent. Those endless experiments with different sensor manufacturers and technologies, different image quality and with different bugs (fpn, ir pollution, color casts, cross hatching, red channel clipping, noise/moire and scaling artifacts in 12k sensor) are very annoying.

I think they're consistently improving. Let's remember it's 8 years of dramatic improvements. Some of these issues are tied to the others you already complained about.

Dmitry Shijan wrote:2. Be like Arri - find final single but perfect quality 4k dual gain sensor with large pixels and with proper OLPF/IR glass. Use it for decades so people may predict what to expect. Improve unified full sized camera body (already done in Ursas) and additional unified micro camera body.

Arri got incredibly lucky with their sensor. No one else has had such longevity and it's now an Albatros. Why ?

Because the large pixels limits their resolution. The only way they can be 4K for Netflix is to force filmmakers to shoot LF.

If you want S35 in Arri it can't be done at 4K.

They're more than 2 years overdue for their next sensor release. They keep having issue with releasing it.

Because something has to give when you have such large pixels.

Dmitry Shijan wrote:3. Fix and don't repeat mechanical mistakes like lens mount wobble, too flexible plastic body, blue sensor glass corrosion.

I think if you're talking about the m4/3 cameras, it's hard to accomodate mechanical stuff when a price point is involved (and a defined standard you don’t control)

On PL cameras I've never had issues with the mounts.

JB
Last edited by John Brawley on Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Denny Smith

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 11:07 pm

Same here John, the two BMD PL (and B4) mount cameras I have had were rock solid. It was the MFT mount cameras that had loose lens mount issues.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

timbutt2

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 2:20 am

Yeah, I’m all for PL mount cameras. That’s definitely the best mount. Just wish we could get more lenses moving to having data connectors with /i Technology.

Honestly what I want to see is for more wireless control options and monitoring. I’d love for Blackmagic to make their own FIZ hand unit that works with a Wireless Video Assist for wirelessly controlling the camera and lens with motors that are powered by the camera and communicate with the camera. This also goes a bit with lens data as well. But overall I’d love for them to really take things to a new level with this.

Sensor tech wise I like what they’re doing with the 12K. But I also love the dual ISO of the Pocket cameras. So combine both for a triple ISO 12K sensor that has 15 stops dynamic range from ISO 50-800, 14 stops dynamic range from ISO 1000-3200, and 13 stops for beyond 3200 ISO. But I might just be smoking too much idealistic wishing beans that I got from Jack in exchange for a cow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Ian Henderson

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 6:52 am

I’d personally love the 6K in a small box body with ND and Ursa swappable mount on front, and SDI and v-mount on the back. Would be close to perfect for our needs.

Peter Selbie

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 5:02 pm

It's clear most people are not interested in resolution hype.
The 13 stops or more DR !!
They do not want a digital look of C-MOS sensor, similar look like BMCC, BMPCC, BMMCC dual gain with slightly more resolution 4K, 6K max and a cubeform, these are the main wishes.

BMD it is now your turn !!!!
Camera : BMCC / BMPCC OG !!!!!
Threadripper 2920x/32GB ram/1070 oc 8GB
Windows 10 pro
Previous

Return to Cinematography