Why I Bought the Original BMPCC (again) in 2020 - Video

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jamie LeJeune

Re: Why I Bought the Original BMPCC (again) in 2020 - Video

PostSat Jul 30, 2022 8:41 am

It’s fine to prefer the default image coming out of an older camera. But the emphasis being placed on the sensor manufacturer alone does not make sense.

If the sensor manufacturer as a variable actually had the impact on the finished image that some posts in this thread (and similar threads) claim, then it would be possible to look at a bunch of Hollywood movies and visibly determine the sensor manufacturer. But it’s not possible to do because there are so many other variables in the process between light entering the camera lens to the final display on screen such that by the end of a professional post pipeline the variable of sensor manufacturer leaves no uniquely visible impact.

To be clear, I’m not saying Sony and Fairchild hardware are identical. What I’m saying is that by the time the sensor is incorporated into a camera by BMD with all the unique work that takes, and then you add the production variables, and all the post processing variables to yield a finished image on screen, any difference between whether Sony made that sensor or Fairchild did is essentially moot.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

WahWay

PostSat Jul 30, 2022 8:40 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:It’s fine to prefer the default image coming out of an older camera. But the emphasis being placed on the sensor manufacturer alone does not make sense.

If the sensor manufacturer as a variable actually had the impact on the finished image that some posts in this thread (and similar threads) claim, then it would be possible to look at a bunch of Hollywood movies and visibly determine the sensor manufacturer. But it’s not possible to do because there are so many other variables in the process between light entering the camera lens to the final display on screen such that by the end of a professional post pipeline the variable of sensor manufacturer leaves no uniquely visible impact.

To be clear, I’m not saying Sony and Fairchild hardware are identical. What I’m saying is that by the time the sensor is incorporated into a camera by BMD with all the unique work that takes, and then you add the production variables, and all the post processing variables to yield a finished image on screen, any difference between whether Sony made that sensor or Fairchild did is essentially moot.

So what you are saying is there is no discernable differences images from dual gain Fairchild sensor to cut in with Alexa footages than it would be with a Sony dual ISO sensor after all variables have been considered?

Jamie LeJeune

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 12:13 am

It’s more that I’m saying there are so many variables beyond just the sensor fabrication that it’s impossible to state with any certainty that that variable alone makes the significant difference. There’s no way to isolate it after the fact. Go back in the thread and read Hook's earlier response where he explains the work that goes into moving the sensor data into the camera manufacturers color space.

Those in the thread stating that they prefer the original pocket *becasue* its sensor was made by Fairchild vs a newer BMD camera with a sensor made by Sony, they are conflating a number of more important variables that simply can't be reduced down to just the company that did the sensor fabrication.
They may well prefer the default image coming out of one BMD camera over another as a starting point for achieving a desired result. But to identify the sensor being made by Fairchild or Sony as the source of what they do or don't like about it, that's completely ignores all the other variables that go into actually getting any sensor to create an image that can be viewed. BMD does not simply pick a sensor and stick it in a housing. There's months/years of careful work that goes into getting a good default image out of that sensor. It's not just the sensor hardware that separates these BMD cameras.
Last edited by Jamie LeJeune on Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Uli Plank

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 7:09 am

It's much more the color science that separates cameras.
Both Sony themselves and Nikon use Sony sensors, but the images don't look the same.

Color science is the 'secret sauce' of camera manufacturers, and BM is doing a pretty good job there. That's what makes some of their cameras 'baby Alexas', not the sensors.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Akpe Ododoru

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 1:54 pm

I personally prefer my 6k pro over the OG Pocket camera any day any time, but i do like the sense of dept the OG pocket has over the 6k pro
Akpe Ododoru
Cinematographer
London
www.akpe.co.uk

lee4ever

PostMon Aug 01, 2022 5:46 am

Joenkeck wrote:Can’t wait for 2025 when everyone is remembering how good we had it with the pocket 4K/6k and wishing blackmagic would go back to their Sony sensors.

2025? What will happen is the following:
The original pocket, the bmcc and all other blackmagic cameras with the fairchild sensor, will be searched like crazy on ebay, mbp and everywhere and sold for good money. While the cameras with sony sensor are nothing special and will be cheaper to get.

You can observe this partly now already in 2022/23.

soohyun

PostMon Aug 01, 2022 7:21 pm

Personally I have nothing against the Sony sensors but I do find that the perceived image quality is a bit worse than the older Fairchild sensors, hence why I chose to buy a used Micro instead of a new Pocket 4k.

I do agree, however, that there is absolutely no point in returning to the Fairchild sensors when the new RGBWWW sensor in the 12K looks better in every way.
Soohyun Kim

Micro Cinema Camera
Previous

Return to Cinematography