BRAW external recording on a7s iii?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Krishna Pada

Re: BRAW external recording on a7s iii?

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 6:29 pm

ricardo marty wrote:
Then the future of braw is at best bleack. Unless they get Braw at least to the popular cameras. and make the ursa 12k a top notch visual tool for the mid-range and up

Ricardo Marty

I don't think the future of BRAW is bleak at all. If BMD emerges as a serious cine camera manufacturer, and it's slowly turning out to be that, the future of BRAW is very very bright. Do you think Red needs to give out its r3d to others? Or ArriRaw? Do you feel the prospects of those Raws are bleak?
FILMWALLAH.
DR Studio. Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64 GB Ram, T7 for Resolve Cache
UMP G2, BMD Pocket 6K, Canon R5 C
Zeiss CP.3 15, 25, 50, 85. Zeiss Contax 25, 35, 50, 85, 135.

ricardo marty

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 11:35 pm

Krishna Pada wrote:
ricardo marty wrote:
Then the future of braw is at best bleack. Unless they get Braw at least to the popular cameras. and make the ursa 12k a top notch visual tool for the mid-range and up

Ricardo Marty

I don't think the future of BRAW is bleak at all. If BMD emerges as a serious cine camera manufacturer, and it's slowly turning out to be that, the future of BRAW is very very bright. Do you think Red needs to give out its r3d to others? Or ArriRaw? Do you feel the prospects of those Raws are bleak?

I meant it comparing to prores raw. apple has the weight to push the market and manufacturers regardless of their product. A great number of people are apple specific regardless. Its like a cult. Of course they make great products but they want to dominate and make it impossible or very dificult for others companies and even to users.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Aug 29, 2020 6:05 am

Mark Foster wrote:But you always forget that the camera manufacturer also has to deliver the data to the output.
with the videoassist 12G, BMD also offers a solution for recording BRAW, but how many cameras from other manufacturers support this?
yes, there are 2 cameras and not even the current or top model.
Eva1, c300 mk II, Sigma Fp
i hope it will grow be cause braw is a quite good codec, and later this years will had more flavour ((18:1 and Q3).
I hope many manufacturers support them, Blackmagic Design did hardware to work with other from since twenty years, Resolve itself it’s first a collaborative software before to be a all in one solution.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Uli Plank

PostSat Aug 29, 2020 8:21 am

Neither do I think it's bleak if the A7S isn't supported.
The Sony used to be the one night owl, but now the Sigma fp is pretty good in low-light too.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Benblackmagicforum

PostFri Oct 02, 2020 9:02 pm

Whoever is right in the semantics and processes involved to make BRAW work from the Sony A7siii, I hope it happens. I currently use Resolve and the Sony A7siii. Bringing them together through BRAW would be a wonderful option. I would happily buy a BM video assist to enable the process.

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Oct 03, 2020 10:25 am

i think that all process is a bit complex from both parts.

usually the process is

raw capture -> camera processing/encoding -> raw recording -> loading in software and decoding (by sdk of producer that add its secret sauce by decoding/color science/postprocessing -> data to software.

braw need to understand the secret sauce of competitors, or need them share part of their sdk to encode and decode correctly color science from raw data of camera xxx to braw to software.

that mean not only profile sensors, but profile sensors from that specific camera, and that specific camera color science.
If not ask to yourself why bmd not buy a bunch of sensors and profile all? why the same kind of sensor give you on different cameras very different result?

the great option of raw is the ability to re imagine the developing process, think to Red or Arri and how later you can develop better and better their first shooting.

Think to shooting did from ump g1, pockets4,5 with gen 4 color science and develop them in color science 5 with a good upgrade of many shooting situation (for me especially on some very contrast and satured situation).

i would love to change every raw to braw, for a lots of reasons, like i did with cf raw in past, but if every camera cannot keep their secret sauce... most of that enthusiasm die.

jallen0

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 6:44 pm

TheMonty wrote:Does anyone know if there is any plan to support BRAW recording externally on the a7s iii through the video assist or if it is even possible? This would be a game changer

This thread got a bit off-track for me so I wanted to bring it back to the OP's question. One of the reasons I would like this implementation is that the Sony AS7 iii appears to have a great autofocus. Adding support for BRAW through the VA 7" 12G HDR Monitor (or 5") would count as a "win" for all three sides (Sony, BMD, End-users).
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 8:10 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:It doesn't really matter if RAW was compressed before or not. What matters is if you can have access (over SDK) to pure RAW pixels (if it's compressed RAW format it has to be decoded first and this is about always proprietary). In case of RED you ave no such an access. You can only get final debayered image. Most other RAW formats allow you to access RAW pixels and this makes them more open.

One of the reasons that Red requires an SDK to decode and de-Bayer Red footage is for consistency. They're trying to ensure that, provided that you use the same de-Bayer settings like the gamma curve and color gamut, that you always get the same data out of them.

It's ALSO to keep things like its sensor technology proprietary, but that isn't the only reason.

Hopefully Sony and BMD will come to an agreement that enables braw support for cameras like the A7s III.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 8:27 pm

ricardo marty wrote:

Ricardo Marty

How is it bleak? Black Magic cameras are extremely popular.

The only people I know of who don't think that BMD makes "serious" cinema cameras are the ones who are jealous of Red's prestige. Every cinema camera has features that BMD doesn't, like autofocus, while he reverse is also true like the in-camera raw recording -- and the last I checked 12K recording was stil limited to the BMD 12K and the $250,000 Achtel 6x7.

Redcode is hugely popular even though only Red supports it, and the same is true for ArriRaw. There are definitely more Black Magic cameras out there now than there are Red and Arri cameras, which isn't surprising given the large price difference, so braw's future is anything BUT bleak.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 8:31 pm

jallen0 wrote:This thread got a bit off-track for me so I wanted to bring it back to the OP's question. One of the reasons I would like this implementation is that the Sony AS7 iii appears to have a great autofocus. Adding support for BRAW through the VA 7" 12G HDR Monitor (or 5") would count as a "win" for all three sides (Sony, BMD, End-users).

Agreed. Part of BMD's secret to making its cameras work so well is that it doesn't try to be everything for everyone. Also not having its own lens mount makes implementing reliable autofocus more of a challenge for BMD to pull off. That doesn't mean it won't happen, but it has clearly not been a priority yet.

Which is OK IMO given the technical achievement of pulling off 12K camera with sensor scaling rather than cropping. And making it with a $10K price tag...
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Uli Plank

PostFri Oct 09, 2020 1:49 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:Every cinema camera has features that BMD doesn't, like autofocus,

Huh? Ever seen an Arri Alexa with autofocus?

But, agreed, it's true that the Sony AF is getting better and better. It's perfect if you need to do an interview all alone and want to isolate a very dynamic person from the background. And the A7S is still the queen of the night. I'm sure I'd enjoy BRAW recording for it (or ProRes RAW for Resolve).
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Rakesh Malik

PostFri Oct 09, 2020 2:12 am

Uli Plank wrote:Huh? Ever seen an Arri Alexa with autofocus?

It was an example of a feature that BMD doesn't have, not an implication that every camera not by BMD has autofocus.

But, agreed, it's true that the Sony AF is getting better and better. It's perfect if you need to do an interview all alone and want to isolate a very dynamic person from the background. And the A7S is still the queen of the night. I'm sure I'd enjoy BRAW recording for it (or ProRes RAW for Resolve).

These days, image quality really isn't an issue any more; pretty much all current cameras have great image quality. Preferring the color rendition of one over another doesn't make the other inferior any more than whether or not you prefer noir style lighting over more cheerful lighting.

And since those who care most about color tend to use raw, they also tend to largely obviate the differences in color rendition in the end anyway.

So they work to differentiate themselves with features, like autofocus, insane ISO, internal raw, resolution, ergonomics, connectivity, etc.

I was hoping that braw would get broad enough acceptance to make raw more accessible, without being forced to resort to cDNG again, but so far it seems like ProResRaw is getting broader acceptance, which IMO is unfortunate.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

robert Hart

PostSat Oct 10, 2020 8:18 am

This high science is too much for my feeble ageing brain to grasp and I am going a bit crosseyed from the concentration. - Strike one against the geriatricy.

Driven by necessity occasioned by limited ready cash, I fully realise the desire for budget gear to do more than was originally intended. There is a certain satisfaction in making a value-add happen.

One has to ask whether the effort involved in a workaround to play catch-up trumps logically choosing a tailored product choice fit for purpose.

It would be nice for BRAW to be available in a firmware update for the original "big" URSA 4K but the world won't end just because it is not, even if I pout and sulk through not getting my own way.

If the cargo plane comes home to land on the mountain manifest as a lotto win, I would grab the 12K URSA and its BRAW in an instant. Meanwhile the original "big" URSA will do me fine so long as it continues to live.

Mark Foster

PostSat Oct 10, 2020 12:16 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:...Every cinema camera has features that BMD doesn't, like autofocus, .....

hahaha, more of that please! +g*
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Uli Plank

PostSat Oct 10, 2020 12:58 pm

Well, you know, Canon likes to sell their cameras with a red carpet lying around, maybe that's a hint.

jimjones

PostMon Nov 02, 2020 7:35 pm

This has to be a typo right? Or does C200 support BRAW though the video assist??

Krishna Pada wrote:
I think the ball is in Sony's court.
Here's what Blackmagic has to say about their monitors: "12G HDR models support Blackmagic RAW recording from supported cameras."
So far, Canon C-200, Panasonic EVA-1 and Panasonic S1H have added support through firmware updates in the cameras.
I would love to see Sony A7s3 adding BRAW support.

ricardo marty

PostMon Nov 02, 2020 8:51 pm

jimjones wrote:This has to be a typo right? Or does C200 support BRAW though the video assist??

Krishna Pada wrote:
I think the ball is in Sony's court.
Here's what Blackmagic has to say about their monitors: "12G HDR models support Blackmagic RAW recording from supported cameras."
So far, Canon C-200, Panasonic EVA-1 and Panasonic S1H have added support through firmware updates in the cameras.
I would love to see Sony A7s3 adding BRAW support.

You can add the new Nikon z5 or z6 and the sigma FP they support or will support braw.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

robedge

PostMon Nov 02, 2020 9:27 pm

ricardo marty wrote:
You can add the new Nikon z5 or z6 and the sigma FP they support or will support braw.

Ricardo Marty

Z6 and Z7, starting in February, paid upgrade.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices
Previous

Return to Cinematography