For those who own both, which Pocket do you tend to use more

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Norman Lang

For those who own both, which Pocket do you tend to use more

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 3:33 pm

It could be interesting to learn if owners of both cameras find themselves grabbing one camera over the other when heading out to shoot for fun, or profit and why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Norman Lang Langproductions.com Boston MA
BMCC - BMPC - BMPCC 4K - BMPCC 6K - BMPCC 6K Pro - MacBook Pro (M1) - MacBook Pro M1 Max 64GB - Adobe CC - Davinci Resolve

David Peterson

Re: For those who own both, which Pocket do you tend to use

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 3:53 am

"Both"? You're forgetting the OG BMPCC! ;-) Still going strong in 2020 for me.
http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding
Location Sound Recordist, in Auckland New Zealand.

jjasef

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 5:34 am

I have both.

My workhorse lens is the Sigma 18-35mm so I use the 6K most of the time. With the BMPCC4K, I picked up a Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 12mm f/1.4 as a good lens for gimbal use. It's smaller too so it helps overall with the build and weight.

I also picked up the Sirui 50mm anamorphic [and pre ordered the 35mm] which will also be used with the 4K.

Norman Lang

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 10:26 am

Sorry. I meant if you own the 4K and 6K Pockets.

BMCC - BMPC - BMPCC 4K - BMPCC 6K - BMPCC 6K Pro - MacBook Pro (M1) - MacBook Pro M1 Max 64GB - Adobe CC - Davinci Resolve

Norman Lang

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 1:59 am

jjasef wrote:I have both.

My workhorse lens is the Sigma 18-35mm so I use the 6K most of the time. With the BMPCC4K, I picked up a Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 12mm f/1.4 as a good lens for gimbal use. It's smaller too so it helps overall with the build and weight.

I also picked up the Sirui 50mm anamorphic [and pre ordered the 35mm] which will also be used with the 4K.
I haven’t tried those Sirui lenses. I want to though. I have seen a few of reviews and they definitely deliver the look from what I saw, at a reasonable price.

So far I haven’t done a lot of shooting with the 6K. I have it on sticks most of the time with a 50 or 24 Xeen and mostly shoot the 4K handheld with a Panny 12-35 with IS.

The 4K set up is simple and lighter than most of my EF lenses and even though I have a SpeedBooster, I wind up using the Panny a lot because it's lighter and it has IS. And the images are great.

I haven't shot any narrative projects yet with the 6K, but I can't wait! Script is almost finished.

I love my Ursa Mini, but alas, no BRaw. Not yet anyway and I am losing faith that will happen. We'll see what happens, but obviously a G2 would fit much better. No big deal. I can do what I need to do with just the Pockets for this next one. Eventually I'll trade up from the UM 4.6K. it just irks me that BM has not said definitively if they can, or will put BRaw on it.

Anyway thanks for your reply. It is great to see how others are putting these great tools to work.

Return to Cinematography