Cameras with Global Shutter?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Bguthrie

PostThu Sep 10, 2020 6:59 pm

Given that the URSA Mini 4K has been EOL'd, what other cameras have global shutter in this lineup? This is one of the primary criteria for me, and is hard to discover in the documentation.

Robert Niessner

Re: Cameras with Global Shutter?

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 7:44 pm

At the moment there is no camera with global shutter in the line up.
The Ursa Mini Pro G2 does have a very fast readout, but it is still a rolling shutter.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

timbutt2

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 7:49 pm

Like Robert said, the G2 has the fastest sensor readout for Rolling Shutter. It’s super close to motion picture 35mm Film. I really hope the Gen 2 12K hits those full resolution hits those sensor readout speeds. I love the rolling shutter on the G2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Note Suwanchote

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 12:58 am

timbutt2 wrote:Like Robert said, the G2 has the fastest sensor readout for Rolling Shutter. It’s super close to motion picture 35mm Film. I really hope the Gen 2 12K hits those full resolution hits those sensor readout speeds. I love the rolling shutter on the G2.

8K in the Ursa Mini Pro 12K is close to the G2’s 4.6K.

lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote

timbutt2

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 3:27 am

Note Suwanchote wrote:
timbutt2 wrote:Like Robert said, the G2 has the fastest sensor readout for Rolling Shutter. It’s super close to motion picture 35mm Film. I really hope the Gen 2 12K hits those full resolution hits those sensor readout speeds. I love the rolling shutter on the G2.

That’s really good to hear. I’m still tempted! But I don’t know whether to wait or pull to trigger. I’m apparently on deferred pay for this feature color grade, so will pay for a new computer a bit slower. But I definitely would love to see 12K resolution get to G2 sensor readout speed.

Note Suwanchote

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 3:47 am

timbutt2 wrote:
Note Suwanchote wrote:

That’s really good to hear. I’m still tempted! But I don’t know whether to wait or pull to trigger. I’m apparently on deferred pay for this feature color grade, so will pay for a new computer a bit slower. But I definitely would love to see 12K resolution get to G2 sensor readout speed.

Have you seen the RS time posted on dvxuser?

lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote

timbutt2

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 5:27 am

Note Suwanchote wrote:Have you seen the RS time posted on dvxuser?

Yes, and that's why I first became a bit discouraged about the 12K resolution readout. I'm happy enough with the 8K number posted. But the G2 still has the better number.

Note Suwanchote

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 5:51 am

timbutt2 wrote:
Note Suwanchote wrote:Have you seen the RS time posted on dvxuser?

Yes, and that's why I first became a bit discouraged about the 12K resolution readout. I'm happy enough with the 8K number posted. But the G2 still has the better number.
True but it’s pretty slight— it’s really close though—and it’s also ~3x more pixels to push.

lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote

Savannah Miller

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 7:19 am

The Ursa mini pro 12K should have exactly the same rolling shutter as the Ursa mini pro g2. once the camera releases they're going to update the 8k and 4k to 120 frames per second. Captain Hook mentioned they were going to improve their rolling shutter times and in John brawley's blog post he mentioned they were going to do 120 frames per second.

Uli Plank

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 7:29 am

It's getting quite close to analog film.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Chris Shivers

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 11:49 pm

Savannah Miller wrote:The Ursa mini pro 12K should have exactly the same rolling shutter as the Ursa mini pro g2. once the camera releases they're going to update the 8k and 4k to 120 frames per second. Captain Hook mentioned they were going to improve their rolling shutter times and in John brawley's blog post he mentioned they were going to do 120 frames per second.

But that’s frame rate, if I remember correctly rolling shutter has do with how fast the sensor can each line, since it’s not exposing the frame at the exact same time

lost_soul

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 12:36 am

Upping the frame rate requires being able to read the sensor faster unless the bottle neck was after the sensor. With more cameras out in the wild BMD will be getting more data about how the clock speeds of various components are working out. Through firmware they would very likely be able to boost the clock speeds of some of those components which will allow them to read or process faster.

You can see a variation of this writ large with the release of the new NVidia/AMD graphics cards where AMD is going through serious debate about how much to dial up the speed of their cards to compete with NVidia on speed vs throttling them back to save power.
Centos 8
RX 580
AMDGPU-pro
Studio (What ever the latest is)

Savannah Miller

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 6:47 pm

Chris Shivers wrote:
Savannah Miller wrote:The Ursa mini pro 12K should have exactly the same rolling shutter as the Ursa mini pro g2. once the camera releases they're going to update the 8k and 4k to 120 frames per second. Captain Hook mentioned they were going to improve their rolling shutter times and in John brawley's blog post he mentioned they were going to do 120 frames per second.

But that’s frame rate, if I remember correctly rolling shutter has do with how fast the sensor can each line, since it’s not exposing the frame at the exact same time

Rolling shutter effect is caused by how quickly each line is scanned. But we measure rolling shutter by HOW LONG it takes for the entire image to be scanned. It has to be equal or better than the maximum FPS a camera can do. In the case of blackmagic they wouldn't scan a sensor at a speed of 200fps and not allow you to record that FPS. Their cameras have plenty of cooling.

Return to Cinematography