File Transfer Issue

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

CaseyBarteau

File Transfer Issue

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 8:17 pm

Hello all! I'm a new contributor to this forum, but I've peeked around for months. So nice to make your acquaintance.

The problem: When I use one particular SSD (I believe it's happened from multiple cameras), I've encountered ProRes files that, while normal on the SSD, refuse to copy over onto other harddrives. They get to a certain point (to the frame) in the file and fail. My editor has fixed the files by cutting out corrupted frames and re-exporting the file, but it's a huge bitch. I haven't found anyone mentioning this problem online yet, so I thought I'd ask you guys if you've encountered this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Back story: I've been using a couple of 2.5K BMCC EFs for several months now, and in the past few weeks I've been encountering this file transfer issue when I'm using a certain SSD (I'm not with my gear at the moment, so I'll have to get back to you on what brand it is - it's not Sandisk Extreme, I can tell you that). First it happened to one file. Then, weeks later, another. We format the drive. Then, nineteen files. Ugh. And yeah, we've marked the drive and won't be using it anymore for the time being.

Adobe Media Encoder can't reexport the files, and FCP will let you cut the problem frames out, but it hates your guts for it and crashes and stuff.

adamroberts

Re: File Transfer Issue

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 8:55 pm

When you shoot on that drive does the REC indicator on the LCD flash when recording?

It could be that the SSD is not fast enough and is dropping frames. This would probably cause the files to be damaged.

sean mclennan

Re: File Transfer Issue

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 8:58 pm

That definitely sounds like dropped frames. What is the SSD you're using?

Return to Cinematography