Touchscreen not working in center zone

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

cameran

Touchscreen not working in center zone

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 6:19 pm

Hi everyone,

My Pocket 4k's touchscreen stopped working in the center zone. I can only "touch" the first .5 cm of the upper and lower part of the touchscreen's interface.

The remaining (central) part of the touchscreen will simply ignore any touches I make. So most of the options are not "clickable" anymore.

I tried to update the software to 6.9.. but I got stuck on the language selection. Obviously unable to click "OK" to go further in english.

I reverted to 6.6. It looks like I can't go past since the camera's setup software says "Software is up to date" while I try to go to 5.2.

I bought "BM CAM Ctrl" for android to be able to remotly control the 4k, but I needed to change the audio input and the option is not available. So I guess I'll have to do a good old fashion audio clap record separated from my shots and manualy sync it afterward. Wow !

Anyone had the same issue ? "I've read some touchscreen not working" but no "touchscreen partly not working" yet...

thanks..
Last edited by cameran on Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robert Hart

Re: Touchscreen not working in center zone

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 2:34 pm

Please don"t horselaugh at the following suggestion.

Have you tried dampening or licking your fingertips then commanding the touchscreen again. As one gets older the treads ion the fingers are slower to grow back from wear and tear and also become drier. To work an AMX screen on a videoconference system, I found I had to keep a wet tissue handy to make the fingers damp or the system just ignored me. Licking one's fingers to work a screen that many others also use is not a good look or a healthy practice.

cameran

Re: Touchscreen not working in center zone

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 3:02 pm

I did not lick my fingers.. but, I cleaned the screen, washed my hands and asked 2 other guys to try if they had a better capacitive touch than me. .. Nope.

The screen seems totally ignoring the main interface area...

I can "click" on the menu item like "record, monitor, audio, setup , preset, luts" and swipe through the pages with the bottom part, but any "clicks" touches on the central area are ignored. The left and right arrows to browse the pages are in the main area and then ignored.

When I'm on main regular screen (for recording and showing image) I can click on the fps, shutter speed, iso wb, tint, since it's on the upper part and the cards next to the histogram in the lower part...

My actual concern (other than just having a touchscreen fully fonctional) is to change the audio input. It's only available in the menu, in the central area, so I can't modify it.

Return to Cinematography