UMP 4.6K will not record after W10 usage

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

starwort

UMP 4.6K will not record after W10 usage

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 2:09 am

Hi,
My 18 month old 4.6K UMP will not record anything after I have used the SSD on a W10 Pro PC and MACDrive Pro reader.

Once I d/load the footage to Da Vinci, then later reinsert the SSD back into the camera ready for another shoot, pressing the Record button will not activate the recording.

To get around this, I have ti re-format the SSD in the UMP camera every time to get the Record button to work. What is causing this to happen? I shoot in Prores 444.

I've even forayed the SSD to EXFAT32 and still the same problem. No hassles reading and reshooting after using an iMac. Anyone got a answer to all this?

Thanks,

James
Last edited by starwort on Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uli Plank

Re: UMP 4.6K will not record after W10 usage

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 4:53 am

One should always format cards and SSDs in the camera, it's a well-established rule.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

starwort

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 5:12 am

Uli Plank wrote:One should always format cards and SSDs in the camera, it's a well-established rule.

I always do, mate. Same with stills. Anyway, you have not answered the question.

Uli Plank

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 8:42 am

I can't answer the question, since I never put my cards into a PC and I stay away from exFAT.
Once I had a bad card and it was simply dead, no formatting would reactivate it.

So, if you want me to shut up, I'll do.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

victor_cuz

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 11:48 am

starwort wrote:Hi,

Hi,

1. Stick to exFAT
2. You don't need MACDrive. W10 read exFAT drives natively
3. If you have to use MACDrive - learn how to close it properly. SSDs might get a read/write error caused by interruption, this happens if you remove your SSD unexpectedly while it was being in use (transferring data).
4. Your particular PC might be the problem. Test the same procedures on another W10 machine.

Gavin_c_clark

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 7:55 pm

I think it’s something to do with Mac drive.

Mine does exactly the same thing with ssd and cfast.

They do open up on my Mac after this but the cameras (ursa mini pro and pocket 4K) won’t recognise the media until its reformatted after this.

It’s never been much of an issue for me but the developers of Mac drive have been quite prompt and helpful on other occasions so might be worth reaching out to them

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 7:55 pm

Format in hfs+ to delete what win10 did, then you can format again in exfat, if you want.
I prefer to buy hfs + paragon for windows and never use exfat filesystem
If not work may be that ssd is in same way corrupted.
Do you can write with computer ?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

starwort

PostSun Sep 20, 2020 3:47 pm

Gavin_c_clark wrote:I think it’s something to do with Mac drive.

Mine does exactly the same thing with ssd and cfast.

They do open up on my Mac after this but the cameras (ursa mini pro and pocket 4K) won’t recognise the media until its reformatted after this.

It’s never been much of an issue for me but the developers of Mac drive have been quite prompt and helpful on other occasions so might be worth reaching out to them

I've fixed the issue. I format the SSD in EXFAT in camera and then record to play on W10 Pro and a 64Bit editing program. After editing one shoot, I can now use the SSD in the UMP to take more footage.

Now here's the bit I'm not sure of.

If I set the Record settings in the UMP to ProRes 444 and 4.6K, am I recording in that higher rez? as when I see the unedited footage in the PC, it shows up as 1920 x 1280. Why?

To get the highest rez from the UMP to show up on a a PC, what are the recording settings on the UMP to get the full 4.6K from the UMP to show up on a PC?

I'm very new to all this, so please excuse my dumb questions.
Thanks,
James

Uli Plank

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 3:10 am

Of course, you are recording in the format you set in the camera menu.
Which player are you using to see them on the PC? It might just scale according to the screen resolution.
But even the free version of Resolve will tell you exactly what you have in the metadata.

starwort

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 1:29 am

victor_cuz wrote:
starwort wrote:Hi,

Hi,

1. Stick to exFAT
2. You don't need MACDrive. W10 read exFAT drives natively
3. If you have to use MACDrive - learn how to close it properly. SSDs might get a read/write error caused by interruption, this happens if you remove your SSD unexpectedly while it was being in use (transferring data).
4. Your particular PC might be the problem. Test the same procedures on another W10 machine.

Agreed. I've now done that and all is well.Thank you. Q. Can I use this codec setting (see image) with EXFAT or is this only for Mac's? I have d/loaded Prores from Apple to the W10 pc, Will Resolve read that Prores dll files our do I need to drag those files into the Resolve's Directory? I'd like to shoot in Prores 444 but sure if Resolve or even PR will read that codec?

For shooting in RAW, with EXFAT, my codec settings are: BM RAW, 3:1 4.6K, Is this the highest quality setting the UMP will give? Thank you.

Uli Plank

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 4:33 am

starwort wrote:Can I use this codec setting (see image) with EXFAT or is this only for Mac's? I have d/loaded Prores from Apple to the W10 pc, Will Resolve read that Prores dll files our do I need to drag those files into the Resolve's Directory? I'd like to shoot in Prores 444 but sure if Resolve or even PR will read that codec?

For shooting in RAW, with EXFAT, my codec settings are: BM RAW, 3:1 4.6K, Is this the highest quality setting the UMP will give? Thank you.

Don't add anything to a PC for ProRes, it's disadvised even by Apple since it's EOL!
Resolve is taking care of reading ProRes by itself, no further installation needed.

exFAT is OK for exchange between Mac and Pc without additional software and for being read by the PC.

BRAW 3:1 is the highest quality the UMP will deliver, but you'll need fast media. For many scenes, you won't see much of a difference with a higher compression ratio and you can save space (depending on the scene) with Q settings.

starwort

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 8:10 am

Uli Plank wrote:
starwort wrote:Can I use this codec setting (see image) with EXFAT or is this only for Mac's? I have d/loaded Prores from Apple to the W10 pc, Will Resolve read that Prores dll files our do I need to drag those files into the Resolve's Directory? I'd like to shoot in Prores 444 but sure if Resolve or even PR will read that codec?

Don't add anything to a PC for ProRes, it's disadvised even by Apple since it's EOL!
Resolve is taking care of reading ProRes by itself, no further installation needed.

exFAT is OK for exchange between Mac and Pc without additional software and for being read by the PC.

BRAW 3:1 is the highest quality the UMP will deliver, but you'll need fast media. For many scenes, you won't see much of a difference with a higher compression ratio and you can save space (depending on the scene) with Q settings.

Thank you so much for this invaluable reply! I will now be shooting in BM EAW 3.1 and not Prores.
My SSD is fast and so is there PC - 128 RAM, 1 Tb SSD for saving and a 9 core GPU.

Aside, I need to upgrade my old Samsung 28" to a newer screen. What do you recommend in the 28" - 32" monitors and brand names. Many read I see, use Dell Ultrasharp over Samsung. What I want is an excellent colour science hi rez monitor in the 28" - 32" size. Any pointers?.
Thank you,
James

Return to Cinematography