MEIKE 35MM T2.1 S35 | BMPCC 6K - Video

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Florent Piovesan

MEIKE 35MM T2.1 S35 | BMPCC 6K - Video

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 11:44 am

Hey guys,
Here is a selection of shots taken with the Meike 35mm T2.1 S35 Cine lens on the BMPCC 6K.

I used the lens over a few days, at sunrise, sunset and also when the light was harsh so I could test the flares. I also tried to shoot as wide open as possible in order to see the bokeh.

I will do a review very shortly so stay tuned.

So far I am quite impressed with the lens. The image is beautiful, and it always feels good to shoot prime on the Pocket. The lens is also well balanced on the camera.

I shot everything mostly between T2.1 and T.5.6 with some shots at T11-16.
There is a mix of 25fps and 50fps.
All of the shots are handled, since it is the way I shoot most of the time.

Shot in UHD Prores 422.

Let me know if you have any questions :).

Cheers,
Flo
https://www.oftwolands.com

Ryan Earl

Re: MEIKE 35MM T2.1 S35 | BMPCC 6K - Video

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 4:15 pm

Looks great. I like the contrast / clarity on the closeups. Did you buy PL or EF mount? How is the fit?

I ordered the PL, hopefully shipping soon.

Florent Piovesan

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 5:07 pm

Ryan Earl wrote:Looks great. I like the contrast / clarity on the closeups. Did you buy PL or EF mount? How is the fit?

I ordered the PL, hopefully shipping soon.

Curtis Campsall

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 7:12 pm

Definitely have my eye on this set as they add more focal lengths. I was all ready to get the original mft set, as I shoot the original bmpcc, but I keep having the nagging thoughts of what next? I may opt for the 6k over the 4k when ready to upgrade, so those mirror less lenses wouldn't work. I like that the price point for the super35 line is not much more than the mft ones, the full frame line is more than double, but may be preferred by many, especially considering the price compared to anything comparable.

Who knows, right. I'm not doing any major upgrades during the pandemic, and maybe next year there will be a new pocket with an 8k cut of the 12k sensor, mft again, if so I would stick native mft, as I actually like the smaller size lens.

Anyway, this looks beautiful and I'm glad to see they are moving forward in filling out affordable cine primes in various formats.

Hoping someone will get PL and test if it works fine in simple ef adapters. I would be tempted to go that route just to say I have a pl set available.
Dop16mm on the other forum

Florent Piovesan

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 6:36 am

Curtis Campsall wrote:Definitely have my eye on this set as they add more focal lengths. I was all ready to get the original mft set, as I shoot the original bmpcc, but I keep having the nagging thoughts of what next? I may opt for the 6k over the 4k when ready to upgrade, so those mirror less lenses wouldn't work. I like that the price point for the super35 line is not much more than the mft ones, the full frame line is more than double, but may be preferred by many, especially considering the price compared to anything comparable.

Who knows, right. I'm not doing any major upgrades during the pandemic, and maybe next year there will be a new pocket with an 8k cut of the 12k sensor, mft again, if so I would stick native mft, as I actually like the smaller size lens.

Anyway, this looks beautiful and I'm glad to see they are moving forward in filling out affordable cine primes in various formats.

Hoping someone will get PL and test if it works fine in simple ef adapters. I would be tempted to go that route just to say I have a pl set available.

Yeah the price is quite good for those S35.
Personally I tike MFT for personal content and travel and S35 for all the rest :).

Glad you liked the video, thanks for watching !!

Paul Jonathan

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 7:20 pm

Florent, thanks for the video, really helpful in evaluating this lens. Do you perhaps have any chance to shoot some test charts or to check for corner to corner sharpness? Vignetting and bokeh would be interesting to take a closer look at as well.

How was your mechanical impression of the lens?

Florent Piovesan

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 6:30 am

Paul Jonathan wrote:Florent, thanks for the video, really helpful in evaluating this lens. Do you perhaps have any chance to shoot some test charts or to check for corner to corner sharpness? Vignetting and bokeh would be interesting to take a closer look at as well.

How was your mechanical impression of the lens?

Thanks for watching !! I do not have a chart unfortunately, so far I have been very happy with the lens. The mechanics feel good, only the aperture is a tad too smooth for my liking. I have noticed no vignetting as well.
Pretty decent lens for the price :).

cj-adams

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 10:36 pm

I would be very curious to see if there's any reason to get the "full frame"version of these lenses instead...forward thinking. it would also be wonderful to do a side-by-side comparison on a bmpcc6K to find out how they work side-by-side at the same distances in the same lighting conditions between the super 35 and full frame versions at the same focal lengths.

Robert Castiglione

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 12:39 am

Hi CJ

At this stage I am only buying full frame (in still camera terms ) lenses for this reason. Lenses will long outlast digital cameras and who knows what cameras are around the corner.
Rob Castiglione
robcastiglione.com

Return to Cinematography