Blooming Sensor Update

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

sean mclennan

Re: Blooming Sensor Update

PostThu Oct 10, 2013 2:13 pm

Rob Ford wrote:Would you classify these shimmering stars as blooms?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7cpxj6unt2wh ... r%2012.MOV

There is some blooming happening there, yes.

focuspulling

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 6:45 pm

Been waiting well over a month for the calibration go-ahead, after thinking I'd reserved my place in line (and receiving assurance of a three-week turnaround from then), but others seem to be somehow on a faster track than me. Anyone know the back-request date they're processing at this point; and whether they're actually taking them in the order received? Thanks.
Paul Moon | FocusPulling (.com) | On the art & technology of filmmaking
www.focuspulling.com | facebook.com/focuspulling | @focuspulling

Denny Smith

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 9:27 pm

No, looks like to me, you are seeing normal clipping flare from lens. Blooming hides foreground with white "Orb" glop, not a "star" flare.
Need to test at night with lights, or use ND filter to open up camera f/stop to reduce "flare" and see if its an "Orb".
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Kortis

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 1:14 am

Ok sorry to dredge this up but thought you folk might find it interesting:

An associate of mine picked up his BMPCC many weeks after the supposed cut-off for recalibration. He even asked the retailer when it had arrived for them and it was many weeks past when this supposed cut-off was. In any case, he started using his Pocket and noticed Blooming specular highlights which would spill over the foreground, if placed nearby. Clearly this wasn't right so he contacted Blackmagic. They asked him for the serial number to check which baseline it was calibrated to - to see if it would benefit from recalibration. His serial number was in the 146XXXX's. Blackmagic confirmed that it was indeed calibrated to the old baseline and would need recalibration.

A further associate of him then checked his serial with Blackmagic and it was confirmed that his camera was already calibrated to the new baseline. His serial was in the 149XXXXs.

So, presuming there is some chronological order to the serial numbers, anyone who is less than 146XXXX is highly likely to benefit from recalibration. Anyone above 149XXXX will not.

Hope this helps some of you.

Mac Jaeger

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 1:07 pm

Thanks for that information, which is what we asked from BMD months ago, but they wouldn't tell. Yet there is still the possibility that serial numbers aren't serial at all, and BMD had to look the camera up in some internal database to find out its production date.

focuspulling

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 4:20 am

So my BMPC, an early production model from August, arrived at the Fremont facility for recalibration this past Friday morning. Although I know I can't perfectly reproduce the original challenge, I'm hoping those white orbs won't smear as comically as in the frame grab below from my viral test run at http://www.vimeo.com/hpmoon/nyc...

BMPC_Orbs.jpg
Orbs galore at Times Square
BMPC_Orbs.jpg (729.14 KiB) Viewed 3451 times

Those perfect circles (or periods of ellipsis) at the top right of the frame are priceless.
Paul Moon | FocusPulling (.com) | On the art & technology of filmmaking
www.focuspulling.com | facebook.com/focuspulling | @focuspulling

Kortis

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 7:05 am

What're the first 3 digits of your serial number? Want to see if that falls in line with what I mentioned.

Mac Jaeger

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 10:52 am

I wouldn't send the Pocket cam in for recalibration before christmas; just think about all the beatiful perfect christmas bowls you could get from filming a boring led chain...
Previous

Return to Cinematography