Blooming on the GH2

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Reinout van Schie

Blooming on the GH2

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 9:07 am

Just saw this in some recent footage I shot with the GH2. Realized that I started noticing the blooming highlights, now that I'm so aware of the issue with the BMPCC. Especially where the leaves converge with the roof of the building, where blown-out highlights also wrap around normally exposed elements.

Buurtteam workprint.jpg
Buurtteam workprint.jpg (526.46 KiB) Viewed 1656 times

Not saying that the BMPCC blooming compares to this or that it nullifies the BMPCC issue, as BMPCC-footage I've seen here shows blooming of a harsher kind than this (especially in glares, reflections and headlights), but I did find it interesting that I never noticed these issues in the footage before, and now they seem obvious suddenly. Suggests that perception is also a subjective and fluid thing.

(nevertheless I hope that a re-calibration might lessen the issue on the BMPCC!)

Andrew Deme

Re: Blooming on the GH2

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 9:09 am

Reinout van Schie wrote:Just saw this in some recent footage I shot with the GH2. Realized that I started noticing the blooming highlights, now that I'm so aware of the issue with the BMPCC. Especially where the leaves converge with the roof of the building, where blown-out highlights also wrap around normally exposed elements.

Buurtteam workprint.jpg

Not saying that the BMPCC blooming compares to this or that it nullifies the BMPCC issue, as BMPCC-footage I've seen here shows blooming of a harsher kind than this (especially in glares, reflections and headlights), but I did find it interesting that I never noticed these issues in the footage before, and now they seem obvious suddenly. Suggests that perception is also a subjective and fluid thing.

(nevertheless I hope that a re-calibration might lessen the issue on the BMPCC!)

Looks like nothing more than overexposure to me.....

Gan Eden

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 9:24 am

No comparison.

Reinout van Schie

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 9:50 am

than I stand corrected.

Reinout van Schie

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 10:36 am

After re-evaluating this shot, Yeah; I agree it's not the blooming, but overexposed highlights. Proves a point to myself in that case. (not to become crazy and see white orbs everywhere).

bruce

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 5:55 pm

First the shot is overexposed. Second, it is out of focus. The bmpc problem is different, those bug-eye characteristic on those car night test is pretty extreme. I have not seen similiar result with my GH2 and Gh3 night test. Hopefully bm can fix the problem. I really like to get the bmpc to go with my bmcc.

Mac Jaeger

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 8:59 pm

bruce wrote:First the shot is overexposed. Second, it is out of focus.

I second that. There is nothing "wrong" with your GH2, thats just the look you can expect at these settings.

I think it's time we take a couple deep breaths and clear our heads, so that we can distinguish the white orb phenomenon from other kinds of "more white that i'd like in my picture". Soon people will get their fixed (recalibrated) pocket cameras, and i predict that it won't take long until the first "they didn't really fix it at all!" postings from customers mistaking defocused lights for orbs.

Return to Cinematography