Timeline, playback and camera frame rate to fix shaky videos

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

phillyjoe

Timeline, playback and camera frame rate to fix shaky videos

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 2:33 am

Hi all, I'm trying to understand the difference/relationship between my camera's frame rate and the playback and timeline frame rate settings in Da Vinci Resolve.
The reason is because my footage is often shaky. I've researched the correct way to walk and hold the gimbal but it's still shaky and I wonder if it's because my frame rate settings are incorrect when I make the videos.
FYI I've tried shooting at 60 fps, shutter speed 1/125; and at 30 fps, shutter speed 1/60. Whichever I do, it is shaky so that's why I'm thinking my frame rates are off.
Also, I practiced the "gimbal walk" and how to properly balance the camera on the gimbal.
Any advice is very appreciated!

robedge

Re: Timeline, playback and camera frame rate to fix shaky vi

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 1:36 pm

Which camera and what lens/lens focal length or lengths are you using? Also, what’s your camera weight and which gimbal? A picture of the camera on the gimbal would help.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

phillyjoe

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 3:00 pm

Hi Robedge, I'm using a Zhiyun Crane 2, a Canon 6d with a Sigma 15-30mm. I checked the weight specs; my rig, I think 7.1 lbs, is within capacity. Most shots are fairly wide, 17-20mm but also shoot some close to or at 30mm. Whatever focal length I shoot can end up shaky. But the shake only occurs when I take a step forward or back. Panning there is no shake. Also, there was one project I shot where the footage was perfect. Clip attributes and settings I believe were the same. Here is a picture of my rig
Attachments
20201014_105037.jpg
20201014_105037.jpg (94.83 KiB) Viewed 1142 times

robedge

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 11:42 pm

phillyjoe wrote: I'm using a Zhiyun Crane 2, a Canon 6d with a Sigma 15-30mm.

Hi. This part of the forum is about Blackmagic cameras, not Canon or Sony or Nikon cameras. There is a sub-forum about DaVinci Resolve, though, if you think that would be helpful. If you're looking for advice on using a Canon 6D with a Zhiyun Crane 2, I'm pretty sure that there must be better places to ask for it.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

phillyjoe

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 2:22 am

I'm not asking about gear at all. My question is about the relationship and difference between playback frame rate, timeline frame rate and frame rate when shooting. I've researched online and cannot find that info.

I listed my gear because you asked me to.

This is a blackmagic forum. Why would you direct me elsewhere?

Uli Plank

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 3:29 pm

OK, here you go:
As long as you want to shoot realtime, the frame rate in the camera and the one in the timeline should be identical.
Even if Resolve can handle a different frame rate in the timeline, it'll never look perfect sind frame will need to be dropped or additional ones generated.
If you want slo-mo, you can shoot with a higher frame rate and slow it down in the timeline. Ideally, every single frame should be used, so 60 fps for example should be slowed down to 50% for a 30 fps timline.
You can also change the frame rate in the Clip Attributes to the target rate.

That's all. No rocket science involved. If your videos are shaky, it has nothing to do with that.
Your hand or your support was shaking.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

drknsss

PostMon May 10, 2021 4:04 am

Are you having the same problem as shown in this video with the same gimbal?

This part of the forum is intended for Blackmagic Camera owners or renters but I agree that this issue has nothing to do with frame rates. That info can be found in the Post-production section of this forum. If you want to fix shaky video you can find some help there BUT if you have shaky video like in the video link above then it will be not so easy to fix in post.

I have an old Zhyun Gimbal and I had a similar issue with the P4K and pancake lens. It was a motor setting issue in the settings that was the problem.

I hope this helps

Return to Cinematography