Hello and criticise me!!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Deadmeadow

Hello and criticise me!!

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 8:28 am

Hi all,

Relatively new to the forums and Blackmagic cameras. I purchased the original BMPCC a couple of months ago. I am still climbing the huge learning curve that this camera presents somebody who has come from a Panasonic G6!!! I'd love to eventually get a 4 or 6k and was thinking if I can master this camera, the newer versions should not be such a huge step!

So, all that being said I'd love some tips and constructive criticism. I have seen there are some people churning out amazing stuff with these cameras on this forum. So, as a newbie, I'd love to acquire a bit of your expertise if you would be kind enough to share!

Here are some of my efforts thus far. I dare say they look utterly awful to the professional eye but here goes....

I have two lenses, an old Canon FD 50mm and the Panasonic 14-42mm kit lens that came with the G6.
I have cage for the camera and a Feelworld monitor with False Colour.

I edit on a 2019 Imac so, computer power not an issue. I think my main issues are nailing the exposure, correcting and grading properly and the upload (on youtube) just never looks too good. Obviously better glass would yield way better results....working on that!

I know its a long post with lots of questions but you guys are the experts and I'd value your input!

Many thanks and have a great day!

Steve Holmlund

Re: Hello and criticise me!!

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 4:27 pm

Hi Darren,
Some comments from an amateur.
1. There is a separate "Look what I shot" thread to post your efforts to. They might get more responses because people use that thread specifically to get and give input.
2. Of the clips you posted, I think Beau was the best, and the first part of Beach. But I'm not really a qualified judge.
3. Handheld will always be a challenge with the original BMPCC especially with the 50mm. Most people on the forum will say you need to practice a lot to get good stable technique. I don't know if the 14-42 has IS but the old Panasonic 14-45 kit lens is what folks used originally with the BMPCC and had reasonable success. I would imagine a used one could be picked up cheaply if the 14-42 doesn't have IS. More expensive would be the Oly Pro 12-100mm. I have the Zhiyun Weebill S stabilizer and all things considered, it's not very expensive and your camera would balance easily with either lens. It has a separate piece to mount an external monitor that I don't have.
4. I commend you for starting with less expensive gear, however. Your personal skill is more important than having the latest camera, when starting out.
5. If you aren't using Resolve Color Management (RCM) as a starting point for grading, you might try that. There is a bug (to me at least) with Prores clips in that each clip needs to be individually set to use RCM, even if you have selected it in the project settings.
6. There are a number of good Resolve training courses on line. I got a subscription to MZed. Depending on how you value your time, I think it's worth the money.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers!
Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

Kays Alatrakchi

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 10:39 pm

Ok, your cooking is way too salty and you drive like a maniac.

How's that?
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Dmytro Shijan

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 12:25 am

BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Dan Keeble

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 11:22 am

looks like Westcliff-on-Sea, my home town
www.flud.digital

Deadmeadow

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 5:47 pm

Sure is Westcliff. Thanks for all the replies. I'm just still struggling with grading side. Normalise footage first or Lut on first. Some say don't use Luts at all and some say do. All down to testing I suppose

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Deadmeadow

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 5:50 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:

Ok, your cooking is way too salty and you drive like a maniac.

How's that?
You do know me!

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography