BMPCC 6K Shutting Off???

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

mattcej

BMPCC 6K Shutting Off???

PostTue Oct 20, 2020 4:16 pm

Hello all. I just purchased the BMPCC 6K. I have it rigged to an external DC battery output source. Randomly, the camera will shut off on me, the power light will turn red, and this really weird "whirring" or "revving" sound can be heard from the internal fans. When I disconnect the DC power it stops. I managed to film a video of this happening so I will try and post that. Someone please help me figure out why the heck this is happening! Thanks in advance

robedge

Re: BMPCC 6K Shutting Off???

PostTue Oct 20, 2020 5:11 pm

When you add the video, it would be helpful if you’d provide information about your external battery.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices
Monitor: Eizo | Computers: Mac Studio, iPad Pro

mattcej

PostFri Oct 23, 2020 2:53 am

robedge wrote:When you add the video, it would be helpful if you’d provide information about your external battery.

Hey Robedge, so I figured out the problem. Apparently the battery plate (that uses sony l series batteries) that I purchased only works with the bmpcc 6k if you use their dummy battery accessory. I was trying to run a cable from the dc output on the battery plate to the bmpcc6k using the 2 prong dc input on the camera, and it wasn't putting out enough volts (only like 7.2 or something instead of 12) so it wasn't providing enough juice to my camera to keep the battery charged, so when the battery was dying it was doing this weird in-between thing that I described in the OP. I suppose now my follow-up question is: do you think that this happening did any damage to the camera at all? It seems to be working fine now after I stopped trying to use this external battery solution, but now I'm concerned that I may have harmed the camera in some way.

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Oct 23, 2020 10:08 pm

Change battery plate, probably the problem is in its voltage up converter.
Nfp battery are 7.4v and pocket need more. I had two plate from tilta and one from china producer called team power. All working fine from nfp battery to weipu dc in of camera.
Never use battery dummies be cause internal connection had less adaptive range for voltage then external Weipu connector.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

mattcej

PostSun Oct 25, 2020 6:31 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:Change battery plate, probably the problem is in its voltage up converter.
Nfp battery are 7.4v and pocket need more. I had two plate from tilta and one from china producer called team power. All working fine from nfp battery to weipu dc in of camera.
Never use battery dummies be cause internal connection had less adaptive range for voltage then external Weipu connector.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Thanks Carlo. You are correct, the battery plate was only outputting 7.2v which was not enough for the DC input. I had heard that about the dummy batteries, I'm staying away from them. Thanks for the reply, Now I'm just hoping that I didn't damage my camera somehow by making this mistake.

Return to Cinematography