Pocket Cinema Camera 6K red power LED stays on

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ishootyou.com

Pocket Cinema Camera 6K red power LED stays on

PostSun Nov 01, 2020 4:51 pm

I own several 4K and recently got a 6K. When I turn off the 4K cameras, the red LED next to the power switch goes off. Not so on the 6K - camera switches off, but the LED stays on.

Anyone? :shock:
------------------------
ishootyou.com
Teaching photography and videography in Switzerland

ishootyou.com

Re: Pocket Cinema Camera 6K red power LED stays on

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 7:48 am

ishootyou.com wrote:I own several 4K and recently got a 6K. When I turn off the 4K cameras, the red LED next to the power switch goes off. Not so on the 6K - camera switches off, but the LED stays on.

Anyone? :shock:

Pushing this up hoping someone might have an idea? I have three 6K and 2 4K in the meantime and only this one 6K shows the strange behavior. Might have to send it in.
------------------------
ishootyou.com

smunaut

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 8:19 am

And there is nothing plugged to the DC input port ?

Red Led when turned off is charging of the battery AFAIK so it needs DC power and a battery inside in theory.

You can also try reflashing the firmware just in case something isn't entirely right.
Resolve Studio - Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD RX6600 / NVidia RTX 4070 (switching between the 2) - Linux

ishootyou.com

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 11:30 am

smunaut wrote:And there is nothing plugged to the DC input port ?

Red Led when turned off is charging of the battery AFAIK so it needs DC power and a battery inside in theory.

You can also try reflashing the firmware just in case something isn't entirely right.

No there's nothing plugged in and this had been happening with older and newer firmwares as well. Another problem is that this is draining the battery quite quickly (as if not only the LED was drawing power).
------------------------
ishootyou.com

smunaut

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 11:42 am

Yeah, I can imagine battery would drain quickly.

The power switch is most likely not a physical power switch but just gives and indication to the embedded power manager that a shutdown was requested and this gives time to the embedded OS to properly shut things down cleanly. And the last step of that process would be to shut off main power and turn off that led. I'm guessing something is preventing it to completely shut it down, hence the led on and increased power drain. My first guess would have been something corrupted in the firmware but if that persisted through reflash then I guess it could be some minor hw fault that doesn't prevent normal operation but raises an exception during the shutdown.
Resolve Studio - Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD RX6600 / NVidia RTX 4070 (switching between the 2) - Linux

ishootyou.com

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 2:34 pm

smunaut wrote:Yeah, I can imagine battery would drain quickly.

The power switch is most likely not a physical power switch but just gives and indication to the embedded power manager that a shutdown was requested and this gives time to the embedded OS to properly shut things down cleanly. And the last step of that process would be to shut off main power and turn off that led. I'm guessing something is preventing it to completely shut it down, hence the led on and increased power drain. My first guess would have been something corrupted in the firmware but if that persisted through reflash then I guess it could be some minor hw fault that doesn't prevent normal operation but raises an exception during the shutdown.

Yes the camera works perfectly fine. As soon as a replacement is in reach (they are so hard to order at the moment) I will send this in for repair.
------------------------
ishootyou.com

Return to Cinematography