UMP G2 availability?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

chris.white

  • Posts: 177
  • Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:34 pm

UMP G2 availability?

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 7:06 pm

So, I'm at the point where I'm feeling like it's time to replace my trusty ol' UM4.6 with something newer. The 12k is not really an option, and probably not necessary for my use, so I've been looking toward the UMP G2... which would match up nicer with my UMP G1 as well.

However, the G2's don't seem to be in stock and are backordered everywhere I've looked—which is surprising. They've been out for a while now, so I thought they'd be more readily available. Perhaps this is something that's been discussed around here already (I searched around a bit but couldn't find anything), but what's the deal? Is it because of supply issues due to COVID? Are they just limiting supply to keep demand up? Maybe a G3 coming soon, so they're letting inventory run out?
---
c
Offline

Chris Shivers

  • Posts: 338
  • Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:12 am

Re: UMP G2 availability?

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 9:52 pm

i just sold my g2 bc im looking to get the 12k towards the beginning of next year
Offline

chris.white

  • Posts: 177
  • Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:34 pm

Re: UMP G2 availability?

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 12:58 am

Chris Shivers wrote:i just sold my g2 bc im looking to get the 12k towards the beginning of next year


Well, I guess I should add, that if anyone has a reliable, well taken care of G2 that they're looking to part with, I'm in the market.
---
c
Offline
User avatar

Jamie LeJeune

  • Posts: 1300
  • Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:33 am
  • Location: San Francisco

Re: UMP G2 availability?

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 8:22 am

Hey Chris. I got the 12K and I’m planning to sell my UMP G2. It’s in perfect condition and has the Rawlite OLPF + IR cut installed. If interested, send me an email at: jamie@cinedocs.com
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/
Offline

chris.white

  • Posts: 177
  • Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:34 pm

Re: UMP G2 availability?

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 6:12 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:Hey Chris. I got the 12K and I’m planning to sell my UMP G2. It’s in perfect condition and has the Rawlite OLPF + IR cut installed. If interested, send me an email at: jamie@cinedocs.com


Hey Jaime,

Sorry, haven't been on here in a while and just saw this. Thanks for the offer... I actually bought a G2 about 4 days prior to your post... and also purchased the RAWlite filter for it the next day. I definitely would have been interested though. Oh well.
---
Chris
Offline

robert Hart

  • Posts: 426
  • Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:16 pm

Re: UMP G2 availability?

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 9:41 am

Is the URSA Mini G2 still being manufactured or has production been discontinued in favour of the URSA Mini 12K. If that is the case then, URSA Mini G2 inventory may be getting sold down and not replenished.
Offline

jonstatt

  • Posts: 19
  • Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:40 pm
  • Real Name: Jonathan Statt

Re: UMP G2 availability?

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 9:55 am

robert Hart wrote:Is the URSA Mini G2 still being manufactured or has production been discontinued in favour of the URSA Mini 12K. If that is the case then, URSA Mini G2 inventory may be getting sold down and not replenished.
I can't see how they can discontinue it as it is a big price jump to the 12k and beyond the needs of many.

But what has been very odd is the lack of firmware updates for the G2. It is behind the G1 in some features as well now. Extremely strange.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
Offline

Ellory Yu

  • Posts: 2037
  • Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:25 pm

Re: UMP G2 availability?

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 7:39 pm

jonstatt wrote:
robert Hart wrote:Is the URSA Mini G2 still being manufactured or has production been discontinued in favour of the URSA Mini 12K. If that is the case then, URSA Mini G2 inventory may be getting sold down and not replenished.
I can't see how they can discontinue it as it is a big price jump to the 12k and beyond the needs of many.

But what has been very odd is the lack of firmware updates for the G2. It is behind the G1 in some features as well now. Extremely strange.


I agree. Most of my projects are still delivered in 2K and the UMP G2 and Pocket 6K is plenty. I don't see any need for a Ursa Mini 12K because if there will be projects that will need it, probably a couple at best in a year. In those cases, I will just rent it. My general philosophy on buying versus renting - if it is more than 6K and not mainstream delivery, I just rent it.
MSI Raider X99 MB / Intel i7 5280 6 core CPU / 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb GPU / 32Gb 3200 RAM / Decklink 4K Mini Monitor / 240Gb SSD OS Drive / 4Tb RAID 0 SSD Cache/Scratch Drive / 24Tb 7200rpm HDD Data Drive / Win 10 Pro 64bit / Resolve 16.2.8
Offline

John Brawley

  • Posts: 2817
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
  • Location: Los Angeles California

Re: UMP G2 availability?

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 7:57 pm

robert Hart wrote:Is the URSA Mini G2 still being manufactured or has production been discontinued in favour of the URSA Mini 12K. If that is the case then, URSA Mini G2 inventory may be getting sold down and not replenished.


The G2 isn't discontinued. It's a companion camera to the 12K. They do different jobs and they are at different price points.

Despite seeing some amusing posts about the 12K not doing that well in terms of sales, I'm guessing it's actually doing very well in terms of sales. I'm also *guessing* that they are on the same line as the G2 so they are most likely trying to keep up with demand from 2 models from the same line.

All total speculation from me. But I'm certain that the G2 isn't discontinued at all.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles
Offline

robert Hart

  • Posts: 426
  • Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:16 pm

Re: UMP G2 availability?

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 4:53 am

There must have been some clever software writing trickery with the 12K to shoehorn in all that processing power to deal with the novel sensor and BRAW.

As for sales, unless there is an insider at BM feeding out privelidged information, how would the commentators making the claims of slow 12K sales really know?

If the little programming gnomes in the dungeon pecking away at their keyboards have achieved the 12K with the same main hardware set as the G2 then they are truly inspired. I wonder where to from now?

The "big" Ursa is beginning to seem like a 70s Texas Instruments "Speak and Spell" by comparison.
Offline

John Brawley

  • Posts: 2817
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
  • Location: Los Angeles California

Re: UMP G2 availability?

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 6:57 pm

robert Hart wrote:
If the little programming gnomes in the dungeon pecking away at their keyboards have achieved the 12K with the same main hardware set as the G2 then they are truly inspired. I wonder where to from now?


It's not the same hardware in many regards, more the same "form". The internals are different. But it's in the same form.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles
Offline

Ryan Earl

  • Posts: 340
  • Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:56 pm
  • Location: Philadelphia, USA

Re: UMP G2 availability?

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 10:30 pm

John Brawley wrote:It's not the same hardware in many regards, more the same "form". The internals are different. But it's in the same form.


It's not totally clear whether or not the 12K and 4.6K are complementary to me. It does feel like the 12K is the Shelby GT vs the stock 4.6K Mustang. I'm preferring the 12K even for 4K DCI recording in camera because the details are free of artifacts that otherwise show up on the 4.6K. Then the 12K is giving a huge boost in detail even with lesser lenses when recording 12K.
Offline
User avatar

VideoToybox

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:41 am
  • Real Name: Tim Hedegaard

Re: UMP G2 availability?

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 8:54 pm

The URSA 4.6K G2 is highly unlikely to be discontinued anytime soon. In our experience, it's selling steadily.

Can't find a specific Blackmagic Design product? Very often, when the big box websites have a large backorder, "smaller" dealers have them on the shelf. Like now: We currently have nearly every camera in the entire product line available for immediate shipment (including UMP G2 and 6K Pro)...while people wait weeks/months on big box sites' backorder lists.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sincerely,
Tim Hedegaard
VideoToybox.com
Blackmagic Design Authorized Reseller
Tim Hedegaard
VideoToybox.com
Blackmagic Design Authorized Reseller

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brad Hurley, Csaba Nagy and 31 guests