Poor Blackmagic Customer service UK

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Filmobsession

• Warnings: 2

Poor Blackmagic Customer service UK

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 12:22 pm

Anyone from EU/UK dealing with Blackmagic design UK.

These people don’t give a damn about their customers. More now than ever since the Pandemic

I had a problem with my camera 10 months into its legal 12 month warranty.

Problem: 40% of the time, When I switch the camera on it freezes and/or shows glitching on the onboard monitor and EVF!

I’ve missed key shots because of this problem.

I sent it to Blackmagic - RMA - under its 12 month warranty. They sent it back saying there was nothing wrong with it. In their words: ‘“They couldn’t replicate the problem”.

I stressed the issue is there because, of course, I should know.

Oh boy...

They wouldn’t listen despite calls and emails. Sheer arrogance/spitefulness is the best way to sum it up.

I have the e-mails. I have no worry sharing these e-mails for people to read on this forum.

So, Fast forward 2 months later (camera now out of warranty) the camera is now having the same problems but 75% of the time of use.

After sending them evidence of the faulty camera (video clip) now my camera is out of warranty, the Rude ‘CALLUM’ from Blackmagic UK said I will need to pay for shipping and repair costs....

Let that sink in, people...

It’s lovely when we watch Grant Petty unveil a new camera, but when we, the customers, need the right help from the same company we support, sometimes we are dismissed or seen as a nuisance because you are not bringing in any money to the company.

This message is also in support of customers who have suffered the same narrative.

Do not accept it.

This is NOT humanly right BLACKMAGIC. Help your customers. Show class, especially in a time like 2020.

Maybe somebody decent from Blackmagic will Show class and resolve the situation with ‘care’...

Maybe they won’t...

Either way, there’s something to Learn here, Folks.
Attachments
958D8242-34E0-4E32-8CD8-9FF035BE7999.png
958D8242-34E0-4E32-8CD8-9FF035BE7999.png (90.06 KiB) Viewed 709 times
040E479F-A27C-4FE4-952B-7B00ABC58FD8.png
040E479F-A27C-4FE4-952B-7B00ABC58FD8.png (151.71 KiB) Viewed 709 times
Last edited by Callum Mclay on Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Protection of personal privacy of individuals

Callum Mclay

Blackmagic Design

Re: Poor Blackmagic Customer service UK

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 2:52 pm

Hi Daniel

As mentioned briefly on the phone before, we are more than happy to provide you with service for this camera, but our records show that it is outside of its warranty period and therefore there may be a charge for that service. As yet we have been unable to find a problem with the unit or replicate the behaviours you are describing. Our service team are awaiting the return of your camera to investigate the behaviour further based on the videos you have provided, and you have already been provided with an authorised returns number.

Over the course of emails exchanged between yourself and the EMEA Support team here, we have discussed in detail the warranty status of this camera. I would not wish to comment further publicly on this matter so as to protect your privacy.

If you believe the camera is under warranty, can you please contact the helpdesk to provide the requested proof of purchase for this camera, that places its sale date under warranty. You can also proceed to return the camera for out of warranty service.

If you do not wish to deal with our Support Team, you can raise the matter with the retailer of the goods, as you have rights directly with them as the seller of the goods.

James Alexander Barnett

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 2:56 pm

That doesnt sound great to be honest and I would call them again, its obvious if its the same problem and you have documented it that they should honour the warrenty imo.

Really sorry to hear of your bad experience, however whenever I have dealt with them I have found them very good to be honest, the call is always answered quickly, they do their best to resolve the problem on the phone and when my camera has been sent in they have always tried to solve the problem in the most cost effective way as possible rather than just replacing parts willy nilly.

One slight worrying thing I have heard though, is if a major problem occurs out of the warrenty period I have seen many peoples cameras being completely written off because they arent economical to repair.
James Alexander Barnett
www.jamesalexanderdp.co.uk
URSA Mini 4.6k

Filmobsession

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 3:40 pm

Callum,

You have my e-mail address and number... why are you writing here?

Though, I’m not surprised. Your tone of voice on the phone and e-mails are nothing short of dismissive
However, You sound absolutely lovely on this forum.

I’m happy to discuss my privacy on this forum. I have nothing to worry about. This is about my rights and liberty.

Grant Petty has done a Fantastic job to bring the company far. He has helped filmmakers like me to further their career.

...But shoddy communication and lack of care will break trust with Blackmagic supporters going forward.

I have documents that legally entitle me to 12 month warranty in the British court.

Now, I sent the problem to you within that warranty period. You did nothing to solve the camera’s issues. I pleaded with you guys that the problem is there. Check e-mails with Kieran.

What am I to do?

Some People blast on this forum because SOMETIMES we are not being heard or helped by the company we support and cheer on.

It still remains: you want me to pay for shipping cost and repair work for the same problem I had when my camera was in warranty, which you didn’t bother to fix. Now, the problem you didn’t fix is getting even worse. I’ve sent you the video last week as evidence.

Callum, You’re being ‘cute’ on this forum! But behind the scenes you have made me feel like my efforts of having this matter resolved humanly, legally and ethically has been undermined.

So, Callum, With all the information you have, are you going to RMA my camera with free shipping and Repairs? You can call or email me.

This is in support to all Blackmagic users too!

Daniel

Filmobsession

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 3:42 pm

Thank you, James, for understanding.

WahWay

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 2:33 am

I'm a IT engineer for over 30yrs. I would say just because the problem are not replicated in the engineer's bench it does not mean the problem does not exist. It could be thermal, environmental, intermittent and faulty or deteriorating parts, etc.
I have had different service standard from BMD UK. When I issued RMAs in the past my cameras was not fixed and I don't believe there was any attempt to fix it but I was simply sent a brand new replacement straight away.
Not enough service engineers perhaps? So what would happen if they not have stocks of new cameras to send out?
I have dealings with computer manfacturers and suppliers. If the customers feel a particular problem was not properly resolved while the equipment is still in warranty, if it suddenly find itself a few months out of warranty the original complaint under the warranty should be reinstated. This is no different to a repair for a particular problem being carried out while the camera is under warranty should that camera suffer the same problem soon after warranty expire. There should still be a level of guarantee of the repair being done through fair use of the camera even if warranty passes by a few months.

Jim Simon

• Warnings: 1

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 6:12 pm

I can see both sides of this one.

If a problem developed during the warranty period, the camera should be treated as if it's still under warranty. It would be bad for society if companies were allowed to simply 'wait out' the warranty period to avoid the cost of repair.

That said, my own experience with BMD customer service in the States has always been exemplary, so I'm disinclined to jump to a 'malfeasance' conclusion here.

Additionally, if the repair team were unable to replicate the problem, and thus had no way to fix it, I can understand why they would treat the camera according to it's current warranty status. At least in the initial phase of the transaction.

jimjones

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 4:56 am

This kind of situation can be incredibly annoying as the end user and assuming that you are 100% accurate in your depiction I certainly hope that BM does the right thing. That kind of back and forth nonsense to run out the clock on your warranty (whether intentional, incompetence, or technical inability to confirm the issue) is very unfortunate.

The counter point to this story for me is an issue I had with a Tamron lens in which I received 2 replacements. It was an early fast lens for them. They did the first replacement on my word when they didn't replicate the problem - on the second when it failed again they were able to replicate the problem and I think it led to a lens revision. The technical manager personally got involved in my case. They took care of everything; cost me nothing though at the end of the day I was disappointed to be having the issue with the product.
DR Studio 16.2.2.012, Win10Pro, Ryzen 7 1700x, 32GB, GTX 1070 8GB Studio 442.92, NVMe Cache, HD Project, Intensity Shuttle, Decklink

Vess Stoytchev

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 8:28 am

Sad to read about your problems :(

My experience with the UK branch is very good. I had a defective UMP, sent it over and they gave back a new unit. The new camera came with a rattling sound and I wrote them back immediately. They sent DHL to pick it up and in two days I had a third unit. This is for overseas shipment. All expenses covered by BM.

Additionally after a shoot one of the volume knobs on the lid was missing and BM sent me nobs for free.
www.cinap.eu

Filmobsession

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 9:19 am

Morning world,

Thank you people (not BMD UK) for taking the time to read and respond.

I created this post on Friday. It’s now Monday. I’m sure Callum is aware of both of messages and the amount of views it’s received.

When we are talking about class and vision, they need to call or e-Mail me to resolve what is a very...very simple, straight forward case.

The ball is in their court... but I’m watching to see what they will do with it.

Case to be resolved: ‘The Known problem’ to be shipped and repaired free of charge’.

I’ll keep you all informed.

Have a good day, everyone

Callum Mclay

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 4:53 pm

Hi All

To be clear, if a problem is reported within the warranty period but is not found, if that problem reoccurs within a reasonable time frame even after the warranty has expired it can still be treated as under warranty because there was evidence the problem existed under warranty. Blackmagic Design has always handled such cases in this way.

Just to clear up any confusion in this particular situation, this camera was outside of its warranty many months before any problem behaviour was reported to us. This camera was purchased second hand and a significant portion of the warranty had already passed, which has already been explained in some detail over the last few months.

The condition and/or warranty status of second hand goods is often reflected in the price paid, which can often be cheaper than the normal retail price because of things such as having a reduced warranty. Blackmagic Design is not involved in the sale of second hand goods and therefore this is matter that should be taken up with the party that sold the product second hand.

Daniel, we have offered that you can return the camera to us, which we will inspect free of charge (eg we will not charge you a fee just to look at and test the camera), however there may be a charge for any repair or corrective action that needs taking, and you would need to cover the cost of the return shipping to us. This is fairly standard practice for any manufacturer.

You mentioned above that "I have documents that legally entitle me to 12 month warranty in the British court." If you can provide these to us this would be very useful as it would prove the warranty status of the camera.

I have sent you an email as requested so we can discuss this further.

Filmobsession

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 10:53 am

Callum,

Why has this post moved to off-topic. What are you trying to hide?

The information you have provided is inaccurate.

I give you total permission to message all my e-mails for everyone to see on here.

Make sure you post the correct data of my camera details! When and where it was received?

02 October 2019 first received.

You’re making up selective rules here.

Play nice, Blackmagic UK

I’m ready to write another post and Twitter and Facebook to get the word out

Return to Off-Topic