BRAW looks the same as ProRes

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

filmmaker1

BRAW looks the same as ProRes

PostThu Nov 26, 2020 11:34 pm

Recently, I noticed my BRAW footage was looking more saturated than usual. When I did a side by side test (which I attached here), I noticed they're now very similar, with the ProRes footage on top even looking lighter and with less contrast.

BRAW settings: 6k, 12:1, constant bitrate
ProRes settings: HQ, 4K DCI

Anyone know what's going on?
Attachments
Comparison.jpg
Comparison.jpg (561.32 KiB) Viewed 1274 times

carlomacchiavello

Re: BRAW looks the same as ProRes

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 11:32 pm

Why not should be the same?
Prores and raw can show same color, if you use lut to save rec709 like is burned in prores, and could added like lut in braw.
I think previous you not embedded lut in braw and now you embedded lut in braw. This a reason that now seems like prores and not like previous.
Try to disable lut from resolve or software where you see the clip

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

filmmaker1

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 4:40 pm

Hey Carlo, thanks for the reply. Where would I check in resolve if I've embedded a LUT and how do I remove it?

Sean van Berlo

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 6:34 am

Go to the color page, then on the left bottom there's a raw tab. You'll find it there. Here's a screenshot:
Attachments
Screenshot_1.jpg
Screenshot_1.jpg (46.81 KiB) Viewed 1035 times

Howard Roll

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 4:21 pm

This is the more saturated Braw image? They’re both clearly log. How could the image have been less saturated prior to this? It’s likely a memory issue, not to be confused with RAM.

Good Luck

filmmaker1

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 2:27 am

Hi Sean, these are my settings. Nowhere does it say I have applied a LUT. Besides, the in-camera BRAW footage already looks like ProRes, so I can't see how it has anything to do with Davinci Resolve.

And thank you Howard, but BRAW footage is usually less contrasty than my test footage right?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 9.22.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 9.22.42 PM.png (122.44 KiB) Viewed 805 times

Howard Roll

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 6:29 pm

filmmaker1 wrote:And thank you Howard, but BRAW footage is usually less contrasty than my test footage right?

3M tape dispensers are bright red so I'm going to say no. Your perception is tied to a relationship rather than an experience, when the relationship changed so did your perception. The change is not that the Braw has more contrast, it's that the Prores has less.

Good Luck

Ryan Earl

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 7:00 pm

filmmaker1 wrote:Hi Sean, these are my settings. Nowhere does it say I have applied a LUT. Besides, the in-camera BRAW footage already looks like ProRes, so I can't see how it has anything to do with Davinci Resolve.

And thank you Howard, but BRAW footage is usually less contrasty than my test footage right?

I'd redo the test. Different objects are in focus between the two images, I would think that an exposure difference is causing the red to look darker, aperture was bumped?

Return to Cinematography