Split single audio channel over two inputs?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jon O'Neill

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 4:13 pm

Hi,

I've been tasked with recording audio into an Ursa Mini 4.6k (original), I'm aware it's not the greatest quality. I've never actually recorded straight into camera! always recorded externally. But for the speed and simplicity of the production this is required.

We'd be recording just 1 channel of audio.

I believe it's not possible to input 1 channel of audio then send that to two channels (in camera) and control each channels levels individually? to add a backup channel at a lower db.

Is it possible to use an XLR splitter cable like image attached? does this mess with the audio quality?

thanks
Attachments
preview.jpg
preview.jpg (29.5 KiB) Viewed 948 times

Howard Roll

Re: Split single audio channel over two inputs?

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 4:52 pm

Typically a cable like this shouldn’t present an issue. It is unnecessary however as the Ursa allows individual channel assignment.

Good Luck

Jon O'Neill

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 5:04 pm

Howard Roll wrote:Typically a cable like this shouldn’t present an issue. It is unnecessary however as the Ursa allows individual channel assignment.

Good Luck

but is it possible to use 1 mic and split that signal over 2 channels with individual level controls, without a cable like this?

rick.lang

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 5:33 pm

Jon, is the single mic providing its own power or do you need the camera to provide phantom power? No sure if the camera can provide proper phantom power to the single mic through that splitter. I’d try the camera audio setup with phantom power turned On for only one of the camera XLR channels.

The camera XLR connector is mono I believe so if you’re only using a single XLR mic why would you want to
have an XLR splitter? Maybe I’m wrong but I can’t check it out now. My XLR mics are all mono.

Edit
Okay I see you want to have backup with different audio levels!
Rick Lang

Jon O'Neill

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 5:39 pm

rick.lang wrote:Jon, is the single mic providing its own power or do you need the camera to provide phantom power? No sure if the camera can provide proper phantom power to the single mic through that splitter. I’d try the camera audio setup with phantom power turned On for only one of the camera XLR channels.

The camera XLR connector is mono I believe so if you’re only using a single XLR mic why would you want to
have an XLR splitter? Maybe I’m wrong but I can’t check it out now. My XLR mics are all mono.

Edit
Okay I see you want to have backup with different audio levels!

Hi Rick thanks for your reply. It would be a Sennheiser ME66.

does anyone have experience with something like the ART Prosplit – Transformer Isolated Mic Splitter?
Attachments
patchbays-prosplit-angle.jpg
patchbays-prosplit-angle.jpg (700.62 KiB) Viewed 904 times

Jon O'Neill

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 5:40 pm

I think it works something like the image attached.
Attachments
mic-txfr-splitter-MVnY6VR3nVoqhRxDJJGAbkvxf9qHQbSd.jpg
mic-txfr-splitter-MVnY6VR3nVoqhRxDJJGAbkvxf9qHQbSd.jpg (26.71 KiB) Viewed 904 times

robedge

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 5:58 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote:to add a backup channel at a lower db.

You're talking about recording a safety track. Some audio recorders can do this internally via channel assignment. For example, Sound Devices's high end field recorders and Lectrosonics's PDR recorders will do it, but Sound Devices MixPre recorders won't. However, the current version of the MixPre recorders has 32 bit float, which effectively replaces recording a safety track.

If your camera has a safety track feature, I expect that it would be documented. Assuming that it doesn't...

Because I have recorders that will record a safety track, I haven't considered creating one by sending the signal from one mike to two input ports, but it's an interesting idea. You may find it useful to read this SonarWorks blog post:

Parallel Recording Using A Microphone Splitter Transformer
Link: https://www.sonarworks.com/blog/learn/p ... ansformer/

I would think that there are also people on Gearslutz*, and possibly on Jeff Wexler's location sound forum, who know something about doing this.

* Today the owner of Gearslutz announced that the name of the site is being changed.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

Return to Cinematography