Original BMPCC recommendations

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Bergante

Original BMPCC recommendations

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 7:41 am

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I am considering getting a second hand original BMPCC. The price is very good.

I am aware of the limitations but it ticks all boxes for me. Small, great sensor, no automatic ********, ProRes, HDMI sync (to use with a Sound Devices MixPre 3) and a MFT mount. I intend to use it to shoot nature images coupled to a spotting scope (A Kowa TSN-883 to be precise). The HD resolution is enough for me as well. I am not planning to sell footage to Natgeo or the BBC :)

However, I am a bit puzzled by the powering options. The package includes several batteries but powering still seems to be the weakest spot.

Are there any recommended powering accessories like battery eliminators? Can it be powered from the USB port?

I have been doing searches but everything I see is related to the current 4K and 6K models.

Thank you very much,

Borja Marcos.

Chris Leutger

Re: Original BMPCC recommendations

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 8:42 pm

I use a Magic Power Juicebox for mine.

https://juicebox.direct/product/jbmp-02/
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

Brad Hurley

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 9:31 pm

The Magic Power looks great; for something smaller I use the Tilta NP-F battery plate (SmallRig makes one too but it's plastic and flimsy; the Tilta one is more robust) and a large-capacity NP-F battery. If you use a cage on the camera, the battery plate mounts on top of the cage and there's still room to mount other things like a monitor.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Bergante

PostSat Feb 06, 2021 5:35 pm

Thank you very much.

I'll check them out. No need for a monitor or anything like that, I need it light and I must be able to focus with an enormous focal length, so a magnifier viewfinder is the way to go.

This is an example of what I want. iPhone SE coupled to the spotting scope, the bird was about 30 m away. Focusing is crazy with this setup.
Attachments
IMG_0948.jpg
IMG_0948.jpg (764.14 KiB) Viewed 2133 times

Bergante

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 9:33 am

Thank you very much.

I see that the BMPCC takes a simple DC in for powering, so anything can work (I have no trouble to build a voltge regulator myself).

Now, (complete newbie question!) it's clear that a cage will be mandatory, how compatible would be a cage designed for the 4K/6K? I see the new models are larger, but would it be a no-no or will they still work?

Thanks again!

Borja.

Brad Hurley

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 10:00 am

Bergante wrote:Now, (complete newbie question!) it's clear that a cage will be mandatory, how compatible would be a cage designed for the 4K/6K? I see the new models are larger, but would it be a no-no or will they still work?

They won't work; the dimensions are all different and you'd have to drill new mounting holes in the cage (which might be too close to the existing ones). You should still be able to find cages for the original BMPCC from SmallRig and other sources, and of course on eBay. Tilta made an excellent cage for this camera but I don't think it's available anymore. I have the SmallRig cage and it's fine.

Uli Plank

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 10:10 am

I second the Tilta, if you can find one.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Brad Hurley

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 10:33 am

Bergante wrote:Hello,

I am new to the forum. I am considering getting a second hand original BMPCC. The price is very good.

I am aware of the limitations but it ticks all boxes for me.

When you say you're "aware of the limitations," it's good to be sure you fully understand them (I'm not trying to dissuade you, it's a great camera and I still use mine):

1. Biggest challenge these days is finding compatible SD cards. There are several threads here dedicated to that topic. The surest but most expensive option is from Angelbird; they are low in stock on their compatible cards and list them as "unavailable" on their website but if you write to them they will reply and let you know if they still have any. I bought a couple of cards from them last month. If you want something cheaper, check the threads to find out which exact models of which exact brands have worked for people.

2. The HDMI-out port is quite fragile and you need to be careful to avoid breaking it. Some cages come with an HDMI cable clamp (again, the Tilta cage is a great choice here if you can find a used one).

You can learn a lot more by reading the BMPCC 1080p Survival guide here: http://data.pleintekst.nl/Blackmagic_Po ... Guide.html. It hasn't been updated since 2018, so doesn't mention the more recent challenge of finding compatible SD cards (SanDisk discontinued their old compatible models a few years back), so you should ignore the section entitled "Storage Media," but everything else in that guide related to the camera itself still holds. The section on color grading doesn't mention Resolve Color Management and has a few other problems but overall I think this "survival guide" is useful.

Bergante

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 11:48 am

Thank you very much, this is really useful!

As for IR sensitivity, I will get a filter. For me it can actually be an interesting plus, see this video I perpetrated (I hesitate to say claim "shot") as an experiment several years ago. It's shot on IR light.

Florent Piovesan

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 1:02 pm

Hey,

With the original bmpcc I always used to use the internal batteries since I wasn't running a monitor. 4-5 per day would do the trick. I later got a NPF plate and it runs for 3hrs easy.

Made this video a few months ago after buying ago so might help somehow :)

Cheers,
Flo
https://www.oftwolands.com

Leon Benzakein

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 1:50 pm

I am a OG BMPCC owner.

I would strongly recommend looking at the BMPCC4K if you have the budget.

If you are going to invest in all the accessories, it would be advisable to go with the 4K.

I too worship at the altar of the OG but if you have the funds the 4K is the way to go.

The power, HDMI and SD card issue is a real pain in the proverbial.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Bergante

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 9:35 pm

Well, finally I got it :)

I think I have solved the SD card problem by identifying some cards that work. One of them can't work in raw but it does work for ProRes HD. With two 128 GB cards it's enough for me. I will get another one anyway.

Now I see that it's going to be a real learning experience! I didn't realize how little I knew (my experience was limited to lighting B&W and color film stills and DVCam cameras).

Although I will mainly used it attached to a spotting scope I also got a couple of lenses to practice. A Meike 1.7/35mm and I found a second hand Samyang 2.8/10mm.

But maybe I made a mistake already? I have read that the optimum sensitivity setting is 800 ASA and I guess it's better to use ND filters in bright daylight if I want to preserve the maximum dynamic range. Is it possible to fit a ND filter behind the lens or should I have chosen Canon EF lenses instead?

(Anyway I guess it shouldn't be a problem with the telescope, despite a 88 mm diameter it at maximum magnification, 60x, there is obviously a lot of light loss). At least not in Northern Spain, wondering about the South in Summer though!

Thank you very much to everyone who shared advice.

Brad Hurley

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 10:05 pm

Bergante wrote:But maybe I made a mistake already? I have read that the optimum sensitivity setting is 800 ASA and I guess it's better to use ND filters in bright daylight if I want to preserve the maximum dynamic range. Is it possible to fit a ND filter behind the lens or should I have chosen Canon EF lenses instead?

Congrats on your new old camera. Could you explain how you're attaching it to the spotting scope? Is there any way to attach ND filters to the front of the scope if necessary?

Bergante

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 10:34 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:Congrats on your new old camera. Could you explain how you're attaching it to the spotting scope? Is there any way to attach ND filters to the front of the scope if necessary?

Sure!

I am planning to attach the camera body (no lens) to the eyepiece using an adapter supplied by the manufacturer (Kowa).

The scope supports filters but I would need a 90 mm diameter filter! And I imagine good IR rejection will increase price significantly. Guess it will be mandatory in Southern Spain (I live in the North but I like to visit the South).

I was actually asking about the lenses I have just purchased. One of them doesn’t seem to support a filter because it has a permanently attached lens hood (or I will have to improvise something). But seems a behind the lens filter is not possible for MFT?

Thank you!

Uli Plank

PostWed Feb 17, 2021 1:17 am

No, there's not enough space.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Chris Leutger

PostWed Feb 17, 2021 1:44 am

Yeah, if you wanted a 10mm lens then the SLR Magic Hyperprime would be the cheap way to go for a mft lens. And it doesn't have one of those stupid Samyang rose petal fixed hoods.

I use a variable ND with Hoya IR filter on mine. I use step-up rings to match the 77mm filter size between lenses. I do see ND filters on B&H for 90mm.

While I own the Magic Power Juice box, I do have four batteries and only use the Juicebox when those run out unless I know I'm going to be running the camera for a long time.

I'm curious to hear about your experience with a spotting scope. I don't have any familiarity with that so sounds interesting.
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

davidlars

PostWed Feb 17, 2021 2:44 am

Lenses with rear filter holders (gelatin filters) is another option (although probably not what you had in mind as you already picked up lenses). Irix 11mm and 15mm have rear filter holders, for example. I use the 11mm with a speedbooster on the OG BMPCC. Never used the rear filters myself, but although a little clunky to handle they seem to do the trick.

Bergante

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 4:23 pm

I found a Lanparte camera cage in the outlet of a Spanish store. They even phoned back to make sure I really wanted one for the old model :)

I also got a Tilta Mini Follow Focus and a Smallrig Matte Box.

The latter solves all my filter problems. Given the crop factor with the Samyang 10mm lens it won't crop the image if I use it as a filter holder. And they also offer a 95mm ring adapter so that it will fit the filter threads on the spotting scope.

Which means: A single set of ND filters for everything!

Now, a silly question. The Smallrig is compatible with 4x4" and 4x5.65" but the Smallrig website says it isn't compatible with 100x100m filters. Aren't they *almost* the same as 4x4"?

Howard Roll

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 2:18 am

Bergante wrote:Now, a silly question. The Smallrig is compatible with 4x4" and 4x5.65" but the Smallrig website says it isn't compatible with 100x100m filters. Aren't they *almost* the same as 4x4"?

Mostly, 4X4" is actually 101.6mm X 101.6MM, additionally 4"x4" filters tend to be thicker at 4mm with 100mm photo filters thinner at 2mm. The design is frameless, perhaps the limitation is a function of thickness. Looking at the Smallrig website 4mm is listed in bold several times, thickness is likely a factor. It might be on account of the retainer system, not that it matters, Smallrig is very clear about 100mm filter incompatibility, caveat emptor.

Good Luck

Bergante

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 7:04 am

Howard Roll wrote:
Bergante wrote:Now, a silly question. The Smallrig is compatible with 4x4" and 4x5.65" but the Smallrig website says it isn't compatible with 100x100m filters. Aren't they *almost* the same as 4x4"?

Mostly, 4X4" is actually 101.6mm X 101.6MM, additionally 4"x4" filters tend to be thicker at 4mm with 100mm photo filters thinner at 2mm. The design is frameless, perhaps the limitation is a function of thickness. Looking at the Smallrig website 4mm is listed in bold several times, thickness is likely a factor. It might be on account of the retainer system, not that it matters, Smallrig is very clear about 100mm filter incompatibility, caveat emptor.

Thank you. I actually contacted them and the answer was rather puzzling.

"Haha, this is not a silly question. Just as our web page shows, 4x4" accept 102mm x 102mm filters."

So yes, must be the thickness. I will investigate the retaining system a bit.

That said, in another post I found the link for Nisu filters which seem to be exactly what I need (some good quality and not too expensive NDs).

Bergante

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 10:36 am

So, I replied to the Smallrig customer service (in their reply the 100x100mm filters are supported, while the web page claims in red they are not!) and now it's more confusing.

Given the language barrier I guess I better borrow a 100mm filter and try.

Bergante

PostMon Mar 01, 2021 7:59 am

Finally I got a cheap 100x100mm filter just in order to find out.

Being thinner (2mm) than a proper 4x4 one which would be 4 mm the filter is a bit loose between the rails although the retaining system can keep securely it in place when you tighten the knob.

It won't fall, except of course the filter is really loose until you tighten the screws. The only problem I have noticed is, it doesn't sit perfectly parallel to the lens plane.

Return to Cinematography