Pocket 6K Pro

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

Michael Sandiford

  • Posts: 293
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:48 am
  • Location: Hereford

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 2:29 pm

Well, I finally did it. I decided to finally get a new camera. First one since the 4k Production camera. My work has taken me away from needing a camera in recent years and more of a producer role. All this lockdown though has made me realise how much I miss making my own films. Feels like I'm starting all over again. 6k Pro has all I need for the foreseeable future. Ordered it last week. Just waiting on it to arrive. Got a whole load of personal projects lined up.
Offline

Dimitri LaBarge

  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:12 pm
  • Location: South Hadley, MA
  • Real Name: Dimitri LaBarge

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 4:47 pm

Congratulations! I just pulled the trigger on this myself 10 minutes ago. Here we go!
Offline
User avatar

Michael Sandiford

  • Posts: 293
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:48 am
  • Location: Hereford

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 6:44 pm

Dimitri LaBarge wrote:Congratulations! I just pulled the trigger on this myself 10 minutes ago. Here we go!

Now the long wait. Lets see who wins the race, I'm in the UK, ordered mine on Tuesday last week from a reseller, so its coming straight from BM, and they had them in stock.
Offline
User avatar

rick.lang

  • Posts: 14523
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 pm
  • Location: Victoria BC Canada

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 8:50 pm

Well that’s going to be quite a change, Michael! Great you’re keeping busy and planning projects. Nice to see you pick up the camera. I’m sure you’ll like it.

Congrats, Dmitri.
Rick Lang
Offline

ricardo marty

  • Posts: 1087
  • Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:03 am

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 9:46 pm

The evf and tilt screen has caught my attention. I'm waiting to see how the lidar works. I know it has some limitations but my line of work (interior/exterior) mostly head shots to full shots with no zoom and some slow panning should work. If so I will sell my p4k with lenes and everything. I feel that the p4k might keep a good resale value for sometime to come. A short narrative or doc might pop up but these will be my projects. Hope it works well.

Also waiting to see what might come next year.


Ricardo Marty
Resolve Studio 17, Lenovo 7i15, i7-10750H Processor, 6 Cores, Nvidia 2060 6Gb, 16Gb ram, 512 nvme sd. Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6600. Focusrite ableton
Offline

Dimitri LaBarge

  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:12 pm
  • Location: South Hadley, MA
  • Real Name: Dimitri LaBarge

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 4:02 am

Michael Sandiford wrote:
Dimitri LaBarge wrote:Congratulations! I just pulled the trigger on this myself 10 minutes ago. Here we go!

Now the long wait. Lets see who wins the race, I'm in the UK, ordered mine on Tuesday last week from a reseller, so its coming straight from BM, and they had them in stock.


Let the race begin! Mine's on target to be here on Wednesday.

Then again, my CFAST cards won't be here until April 12, so regardless of when the cameras actually arrive, you may still get yours up and running before I do. :)
Offline
User avatar

Adam Langdon

  • Posts: 472
  • Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:15 pm
  • Location: Ohio USA

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 3:57 pm

Here's some stills with an anamorphic setup.
Mostly shot with ND6, ND4.

Imageletter4_1.1.2 by Adam Langdon, on Flickr

Imageletter3_1.5.1 by Adam Langdon, on Flickr

Imageletter2_1.6.1 by Adam Langdon, on Flickr

Imageletter5_1.2.1 by Adam Langdon, on Flickr
Ursa Mini Pro G2 - Pocket 4K w/ Metabones XL - Vintage Russian Glass - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8
Offline
User avatar

craigbeckta

  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:08 am
  • Real Name: Craig Beckta

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 11:33 pm

My BMPCC 6K Pro just arrived today...

It looks great and a noticeable upgrade.

The LCD screen and ND filters seem perfectly fine.

With the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 it is a little heavy on the Ronin S, so
I'm probably going to get a light wide angle prime lens for gimbal work.
Check out my Photography/Videography Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG3iF3ICBWwWgyiOnZBFkyw
Offline
User avatar

Michael Sandiford

  • Posts: 293
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:48 am
  • Location: Hereford

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 4:07 pm

craigbeckta wrote:My BMPCC 6K Pro just arrived today...

It looks great and a noticeable upgrade.

The LCD screen and ND filters seem perfectly fine.

With the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 it is a little heavy on the Ronin S, so
I'm probably going to get a light wide angle prime lens for gimbal work.

How long did it take to get it from the moment you ordered?
Offline
User avatar

craigbeckta

  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:08 am
  • Real Name: Craig Beckta

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 4:37 pm

It was in stock when I ordered it, but I ordered it just before the long weekend.

So it took 5 days to get here.

Most of the time it was just sitting at the FedEx depot...

It was frustrating waiting, knowing they were not actually shipping it.

Here's an unboxing video:
Check out my Photography/Videography Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG3iF3ICBWwWgyiOnZBFkyw
Offline
User avatar

Michael Sandiford

  • Posts: 293
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:48 am
  • Location: Hereford

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 5:22 pm

craigbeckta wrote:It was in stock when I ordered it, but I ordered it just before the long weekend.

So it took 5 days to get here.

Most of the time it was just sitting at the FedEx depot...

It was frustrating waiting, knowing they were not actually shipping it.

Here's an unboxing video:

Ordered mine on Wednesday last week so still waiting.
Offline

Dimitri LaBarge

  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:12 pm
  • Location: South Hadley, MA
  • Real Name: Dimitri LaBarge

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 2:07 am

Ordered mine on Monday and got it today. So far, looking pretty sharp. No noticeable blue tint on the LCD. Really enjoy working with the EVF, feels good in handheld mode with it. It is a bit of a behemoth (my battery grip is on the way and I don’t even wanna know what that’s gonna do the the sheer mass), but I like the solid feeling of the whole rig.
Offline

WahWay

  • Posts: 359
  • Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:54 am
  • Real Name: Simon Chan

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 4:20 am

Does your EVF and camera screen look identical or different?
Offline
User avatar

rick.lang

  • Posts: 14523
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 pm
  • Location: Victoria BC Canada

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 5:01 am

Interesting observation Dimitri. Having some heft to it can be a good thing when working handheld as the camera will have more inertia and inherent stability.
Rick Lang
Offline

Dimitri LaBarge

  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:12 pm
  • Location: South Hadley, MA
  • Real Name: Dimitri LaBarge

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 5:52 am

WahWay wrote:Does your EVF and camera screen look identical or different?


It’s actually pretty close. I was expecting some real deviation and washed out blacks from what I’d heard, but so far I’m pleased.
Offline

WahWay

  • Posts: 359
  • Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:54 am
  • Real Name: Simon Chan

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 6:06 am

What about false colour particularly the pink?
Offline
User avatar

Michael Sandiford

  • Posts: 293
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:48 am
  • Location: Hereford

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 6:24 am

Dimitri LaBarge wrote:Ordered mine on Monday and got it today. So far, looking pretty sharp. No noticeable blue tint on the LCD. Really enjoy working with the EVF, feels good in handheld mode with it. It is a bit of a behemoth (my battery grip is on the way and I don’t even wanna know what that’s gonna do the the sheer mass), but I like the solid feeling of the whole rig.

You win. Where's mine then? :(
Offline

Dimitri LaBarge

  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:12 pm
  • Location: South Hadley, MA
  • Real Name: Dimitri LaBarge

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 2:26 pm

Okay, did a few more tests now that I’m settling in (a little bit limited as I can’t do recording tests since my memory cards haven’t arrived - you might still win the functional race Michael!). There IS a bit of blue tint on the monitor. Not profound, but doing A/B from EVF to the monitor definitely shows it. It’s subtle. If I didn’t have the EVF, I might have not have picked it up, especially coming from an inaccurate monitor on my old Panny AF-100. It’s not the teal nightmare other people’s units have shown, though. Hopefully this is fixable in the next firmware.

I am not showing appreciable pink in the monitor, definitely showing it in the EVF. (I saw this will be specifically fixed in the upcoming firmware update, so not too concerned.)
Offline
User avatar

Michael Sandiford

  • Posts: 293
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:48 am
  • Location: Hereford

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 3:18 pm

Great, the reseller isn't answering my calls or emails. Never a good sign. Plus all the best places are now in pre order. Wondering if there's a shortage here in the UK now. Looks like you've walked this one. Won't be getting mine anytime soon I reckon.
Offline

Dimitri LaBarge

  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:12 pm
  • Location: South Hadley, MA
  • Real Name: Dimitri LaBarge

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 3:44 pm

Michael Sandiford wrote:Great, the reseller isn't answering my calls or emails. Never a good sign. Plus all the best places are now in pre order. Wondering if there's a shortage here in the UK now. Looks like you've walked this one. Won't be getting mine anytime soon I reckon.


Ugh, I’m really sorry to hear that. I lose my mind when I have a question and don’t get anything like a prompt answer, even if it’s disappointing news.

The demand for everything in this ecosystem must be enormous, depending on where you are. I got the camera and EVF fairly easily, but the battery grip and BMD batteries I wanted are crazy backordered and probably won’t get them for weeks.
Offline
User avatar

Michael Sandiford

  • Posts: 293
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:48 am
  • Location: Hereford

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 4:12 pm

Dimitri LaBarge wrote:
Michael Sandiford wrote:Great, the reseller isn't answering my calls or emails. Never a good sign. Plus all the best places are now in pre order. Wondering if there's a shortage here in the UK now. Looks like you've walked this one. Won't be getting mine anytime soon I reckon.


Ugh, I’m really sorry to hear that. I lose my mind when I have a question and don’t get anything like a prompt answer, even if it’s disappointing news.

The demand for everything in this ecosystem must be enormous, depending on where you are. I got the camera and EVF fairly easily, but the battery grip and BMD batteries I wanted are crazy backordered and probably won’t get them for weeks.

I'm ok to wait for things. I just want to know I'm waiting. Not hoping for a delivery each day.
Offline

Creative110

  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:02 pm
  • Real Name: Chris Fazio

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 6:49 pm

Mine arrived today after ordering it 5-6 weeks ago. Everything is working on first look. Love having an evf. I’m waiting on two more batteries for the grip. LCD screen looks ok to my eye, I don’t have anything to compare it with..
All in all I’m very happy with my purchase and can’t wait to start using it on some personal projects.
Offline

Tim Franks

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 11:28 pm

Not sure if this is the right location to share my opinion regarding the Pocket 6K Pro form factor.

Having mainly used and experience with RED cameras, I also shared the similar opinion concerning the form factor not being a cube like design with the Pocket 6K Pro camera.
I understand the issue with the modular possibilities and rigging having a cubical design.

On a recent shot we had the RED Komodo camera which I really dig. But you know what, after using the Komodo for the few days. I realise why Blackmagic went with the “DSLR” design.

With the battery pack it’s actually easier and comfortable to handle; usable right out of the box and is much lighter.
Giving it some time I can imagine we will see more rigging solutions (shoulder mount). Still you can grab the camera out of bag and rock n roll. :mrgreen:

The only gripe I have is that EVF is not articulated. But that has less to with the form factor. Also I wish Blackmagic would have a left side handle as they did in the past.

Other then that I think I would prefer the Pocket 6K Pro over the Komodo when run and gun.
Only if the Pocket had global shutter. :?
Offline
User avatar

rick.lang

  • Posts: 14523
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 pm
  • Location: Victoria BC Canada

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 12:04 am

Tim Franks wrote:... after using the Komodo for the few days. I realise why Blackmagic went with the “DSLR” design...
Only if the Pocket had global shutter. :?


Great feedback, Tim. Appreciate the BMPCC6K Pro is becoming a popular flexible camera suitable for handheld use. Maybe one day, global shutter will return.

My BMPCC4K is fully rigged though and having a full-featured update to the current Micro cube would still be a welcome addition to their camera stable.
Rick Lang
Offline

Tim Franks

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 11:13 am

rick.lang wrote:
Tim Franks wrote:... after using the Komodo for the few days. I realise why Blackmagic went with the “DSLR” design...
Only if the Pocket had global shutter. :?


Great feedback, Tim. Appreciate the BMPCC6K Pro is becoming a popular flexible camera suitable for handheld use. Maybe one day, global shutter will return.

My BMPCC4K is fully rigged though and having a full-featured update to the current Micro cube would still be a welcome addition to their camera stable.

Global Shutter return?


They do have the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera. ;)
Offline
User avatar

Adam Langdon

  • Posts: 472
  • Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:15 pm
  • Location: Ohio USA

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 1:08 pm

My experience with the 6KPro is probably similar.

I “rigged” it up with an anamorphic setup and it was great on a tripod and slider.

Then I went handheld, with just a simple zoom lens and I could blend in with everyone else and get some low-profile shots in public.

As far as screen color goes, I can’t even tell there’s a blue tint once I apply a LUT.
Ursa Mini Pro G2 - Pocket 4K w/ Metabones XL - Vintage Russian Glass - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8
Offline

WahWay

  • Posts: 359
  • Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:54 am
  • Real Name: Simon Chan

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 2:27 am

At present the EVF share its screen information with the camera screen but with everying being smaller on the EVF I find viewing experience is somwhat different. I like to see the EVF having its own settings such as screen brightness, contrast, saturation, etc, also additional level of focus peaking. A option for black screeen with white focus peaking for better clarity.
Offline

Robert Castiglione

  • Posts: 75
  • Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:36 am

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 4:26 am

"Giving it some time I can imagine we will see more rigging solutions (shoulder mount). Still you can grab the camera out of bag and rock n roll."

I too have come from a cube/ red background. I have two bmpcc 4k cams and it is very possible to rig them in a traditional fashion. The first camera is for shoulder mounted and tripod work based around an arri 19mm baseplate and dovetail system. The 19mm baseplate gives much better stability for shoulder mounted work than 15mm. A cage and rods provides all the mounting points you need for a traditional set up including evf, shot gun mic, v lock battery and so on. It balances nicely on the shoulder and is probably the lightest set up I have ever used. V lock battery it runs all day. I really have made this camera work as a run and gun documentary camera.
Offline
User avatar

Michael Sandiford

  • Posts: 293
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:48 am
  • Location: Hereford

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 11:54 am

Well apparently my camera has been shipped so we'll see if I get it soon. I have been able to reconfigure a lot of my old BMCC 2.5K rig gear ready for it until I get the new small rig cage.
Offline

Denny Smith

  • Posts: 12969
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:19 pm
  • Location: USA, Northern Calif.

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 4:47 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
focuspulling wrote: 2. Even though Blackmagic aggressively and impressively markets the livestreaming capability of ATEM switchers integrated fully with BMPCCs, in which case live streams quickly require visual confirmation of accurate white balancing from each camera location often distant from the control console, just color grade later (after it's "live"?) and gamble by balancing to a card that (in one specific tiny location) might represent the entire room's lighting color bias.

I'm trying to understand this one. How will multiple operators, each looking at a separate camera LCD in different parts of a set, all somehow arrive at the same white balance? Even if each one had a reference grade monitor on front of them, it seems highly unlikely in the uncontrolled lighting of a location shoot that they would all arrive at the same white balance.


Jamie, they don’t. You can not get two or more cameras color balanced to give the same results in a live broadcast (streaming) situation if the camera operators are trying to individually set the balance on their cameras. In Broacast applications, the cameras white balance and color settings are controlled from one person (using CCUs connected to each camera) or via the switcher in the case of the ATEMs, using a fairly accurate studio monitor. This way, the single [i]Vision[i] operator can match the various cameras.

Traditionally, studio cameras were equipped with monochrome monitors (even after color cameras were in use) for the camera operator to frame and focus the shot, which was their only task, not setting the camera color balance, exposure, etc., this was done in the control room by one person.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions
Previous

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: timbutt2 and 22 guests