Pocket 6K Pro

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Uli Plank

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 8:05 pm

Well, they are not that bad, after all it's like a 20 mpx camera. But they lack AF and stabiliser (first of all).
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

SalopFilms

Re: Pocket 6K Pro stills.

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 8:06 am

Ellory Yu wrote:
SalopFilms wrote:I have been looking to buy the 6K Pro but a client of mine does insist on images, which of course I have been doing with my now old Nikon. I know that the 6K/6K Pro does take images but I am finding it impossible to get a few of these images from my supplier, and I would really appreciate anyone who has some DNG stills from the 6K Pro so I can evaluate (as does my client) whether they would be acceptable.

So I'm asking if anyone can throw me a lifeline, it would be appreciated.

Thank you, Scott

Scott, the Blackmagic Cameras are predominantly designed to be cinema cameras. It was and is never to be meant as a hybrid still/video camera. It does have the ability to shot stills but the point of having that feature and its usefulness is so that cinematographers can take reference stills on set/on location for the purpose of having reference for continuity and similar cases. If your client insist on still pictures from you and there are expectations of high image quality for blown up use or the like, I don't recommend taking it using the BMD Pocket 6K Pro, or for that matter any of the BMD cameras. If it is just for social media (i.e. Instagram) posting, it will suffice.

Thanks Ellory but the information you gave is not why I was posting. I do realise the limitation of the camera for stills, and I have been using a Canon EOS camera for several years but whether taking stills will suffice quality wise for my client is a matter I have to sort out.

I do not want to upgrade my stills camera and spend a few thousand quid when the 6K Pro will satisfy the customers needs.

So that still leaves me reaching out for someone who can kindly help me out !

Scott

misterk

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 10:55 am

Uli Plank wrote:Well, they are not that bad, after all it's like a 20 mpx camera. But they lack AF and stabiliser (first of all).

I just don't see the need for AF/Stabiliser if its going to add unnecessary amount of cost and complexity to the camera. At this point, BM has to make sure their hardware is refined with good reliability.

That said:

Pockets are going for the DSLR market, which means that AF should be present on these. Stabilisation can be fixed with heavier rig or sticks/gimbal/OIS etc.

Ursas should not need it as the primary focus for these should be build quality, weather sealing, (sensor performance, ie quality/iso/dr/frates) and general usage for small crews. That said many do use Ursas for doc/run and gun style work where these features would be useful. Is it worth the extra price?

I would be happy with AF that can track talking head interviews at least but even then, I am always operating and I have an interviewer with me. So the extra cost that would add on top of the product would not benefit me.

I want weather sealing, not AF/IS...
CPU Water: R7 1700 @ 3.9Ghz 1.33Vcore / GPU Water: 1080ti @ 2Ghz Core, 6.3GHz Mem / RAM: 32GB Trident Z @ 3600MHz / DRIVES: 2TB 980 PRO OS, 1TB 860 EVO Scratch, 1TB 860 EVO Active Footage

SalopFilms

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 11:01 am

Can we get back to MY original posting, let's not hijack this please.

Uli Plank

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 11:44 am

Well, IMHO the Pockets are aiming at a market where you may either have to react quickly and can't always put them on sticks, like marriages and other live events, or where the size and weight are important since you need to carry them for miles into the wilderness, like nature docs. And you may be on your own without a crew.
In these areas both AF and stabilisation matter.

The Ursas are BM's real cine cameras, where you should at least have a minimal crew, including a focus puller, a sound person and someone to carry your sticks. They are the cameras for planned storytelling, where you have a script, have the time for rehearsal and even repeat when needed. Adding a wireless focus assist will also be possible.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU
Previous

Return to Cinematography