Pocket 6K Pro

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rick.lang

Re: Pocket 6K Pro

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 4:52 pm

cabostrike wrote:Ok this is the problem of the blue tint:

Whenever I film on a sunny day my images becomes very blue.
My wb is set on 5600...
Also the rgb curves in resolve shows that the blue colors ar way higher then green and red...

Please don’t use the monitor to judge colour balance. Hold a grey or white card in the same line of sight as your camera and the scene. Then select the auto white balance feature of the camera (AWB). That will give a temperature and tint that includes your sensor’s characteristics and the light falling on the scene. And your footage will look much better in DaVinci Resolve to begin grading your film.

The monitor should be corrected with a firmware update but even after that, AWB is your friend to give you a good starting point.
Rick Lang

Adam Langdon

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 7:44 pm

Here’s some anamorphic stills from the 6k Pro...

ImageUntitled by Adam Langdon, on Flickr

Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

Paul Jonathan

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 10:50 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:I potentially see them getting stuck at some point, or at least the motor possibly needing repaired as an issue that other BMD cameras don't deal with.

Adam, the Ursa Mini Pro has had mechanical ND filters for years, not sure what you are talking about. Some reliability issues with that camera - especially it dying just after warranty runs out, but never heard any complaints about the mechanical NDs.

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 11:14 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:Here’s some anamorphic stills from the 6k Pro...
Nice! What's the lens?
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Lee Mackreath

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 8:37 am

Just about to oull the plug on the 6k pro and jump from the 4k..

sadly this means new lenses!! - I think the Sigma 18-35 is a given, for now am looking at probably a stabilised lens for run & gun - either the MK1 Canon 24-105 F4 or if I can stretch to the price the Sigma Art 27-70 f2.8 -

Any thoughts?

Adam Langdon

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 3:03 pm

Paul Jonathan wrote:
Adam Langdon wrote:I potentially see them getting stuck at some point, or at least the motor possibly needing repaired as an issue that other BMD cameras don't deal with.

Adam, the Ursa Mini Pro has had mechanical ND filters for years, not sure what you are talking about. Some reliability issues with that camera - especially it dying just after warranty runs out, but never heard any complaints about the mechanical NDs.

sorry, i mean, electronically controlled. The ND filters on my UMPG2 i use my physical movement to switch, where as the P6KP uses a motor.
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

Adam Langdon

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 3:07 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
Adam Langdon wrote:Here’s some anamorphic stills from the 6k Pro...
Nice! What's the lens?

Taking lenses: Voigtlander 40mm f2 @f2.8, Contax Zeiss 60mm f2.8 @f2.8
Projector Lens: Kowa 16-H, 2x Anamorphic in Rapido FMJ
Single Focus Adapter: Rectilux HCDNA
FIlter: Tiffen Black Satin 1

Adam Langdon

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 3:19 pm

Here's some more shots with the P6KPro...
This time handheld with just a Mir-1b 37mm f2.8 w/ a BPM 1/4...

Fabián Aguirre

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 3:47 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:Here's some more shots with the P6KPro...
This time handheld with just a Mir-1b 37mm f2.8 w/ a BPM 1/4...

Really lovely grade and images, Adam.
Fabián Aguirre
Cinematographer / Steadicam Operator
www.theunderstory.co

focuspulling

B&H: what's the deal?

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 8:40 pm

I've been surprised to find mostly silence here about the biggest retailer in the world of Blackmagic products, B&H. Meantime, I was in the physical store yesterday and kept hearing "April" or "in a couple months" for day one orders like mine. (Their inventory shows that not a single unit has been processed through their ordering system so far.) This seems absurd since everyone else is shipping at least initial batches, yet mum's the word. It's impossible to get a straight answer. Blackmagic is in the best position to shed light on this, but that's not how they roll (very private about that kind of information).
Last edited by focuspulling on Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Moon | FocusPulling (.com) | On the art & technology of filmmaking
www.focuspulling.com | facebook.com/focuspulling | @focuspulling

Paul Jonathan

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 9:40 pm

Took the 6K Pro out on the first serious shoot today and it performed flawlessly. The bright, articulated display and the internal NDs are an absolute blessing. Had it on a Ronin 2 all day and it was nice to be able to use it without a cage.

Hoping they fix the blue tint of the screen and the LUT bug asap via firmware. Next week my EVF gets here and I am really excited for that. At that value this camera is insane. I have added a PL-mount and it's lovely to have no more focus shift when focusing remote.

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 10:05 pm

If I go with the BMPCC6K Pro, I’d also want the PL mount. That would be extra nice if there was an option to order it that way from the get-go and I’d expect to pay more for a new BMPCC6K Pro PL mount.
Rick Lang

robedge

PostThu Mar 11, 2021 1:45 am

B&H just sent out an e-mail (8:00 p.m. NY time) saying that the camera is in stock and available. That presumably means that there are more than enough to fill current orders. Adorama still has it on preorder.

stock.jpeg
stock.jpeg (361.23 KiB) Viewed 41827 times
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

focuspulling

PostThu Mar 11, 2021 2:06 am

robedge wrote:B&H just sent out an e-mail saying that the camera is in stock and available. That presumably means that there are more than enough to fill current orders. Adorama still has it on preorder.

stock.jpeg

Bizarre (and thanks for the heads-up). Big gap between store staff and BTS. Weirder yet, my day-of order still shows it's on backorder, but I could place an order for in-store pickup tomorrow morning right now. Adorama still shows it's on pre-order.

robedge

PostThu Mar 11, 2021 2:18 am

focuspulling wrote:
robedge wrote:B&H just sent out an e-mail saying that the camera is in stock and available. That presumably means that there are more than enough to fill current orders. Adorama still has it on preorder.

...I could place an order for in-store pickup tomorrow morning right now.

Yes, I'm sure that the stock is at the warehouse in New Jersey, but if one orders at night they will get items to the store for morning pickup. I imagine that there are people in the NYC area who are arranging to do just that at the moment. With the pandemic, pickup is in and out of the store in less than five minutes.

Paul Jonathan

PostThu Mar 11, 2021 10:43 pm

Received my EVF today. I have to say it's a total boon. The camera with the added point of contact sits so well in the hand now, it's really lovely. Excited to go out and shoot with it. Color seems good, however I felt the blacks were slightly lifted which is surprising considering its Micro OLED which should have better blacks than LCDs right? How are other people finding this?

Strangely, one of the eye cups was missing from my packaging. The box was factory sealed so something must have been packed incorrectly I guess. Blackmagic QC..

Nathaniel Wright

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 2:27 am

I didn't see this answered anywhere (apologies if it has), but I've seen people saying that the internal ND's on the 6K Pro have a pretty pronounced shift the image towards blue. Can anyone speak to whether they have/haven't had this issue?

I'm unsure if this is something that I should let affect my purchasing decision, or if this is a non-issue that can easily be graded out.

focuspulling

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 4:23 am

robedge wrote:
focuspulling wrote:

...I could place an order for in-store pickup tomorrow morning right now.

Yes, I'm sure that the stock is at the warehouse in New Jersey, but if one orders at night they will get items to the store for morning pickup. I imagine that there are people in the NYC area who are arranging to do just that at the moment. With the pandemic, pickup is in and out of the store in less than five minutes.

Weird result in the end; my day one order placed earliest, was going to arrive later than today, whilst placing an order for in-store pickup yesterday (prompted by your kind heads-up) got it into my hands fastest today (and I was able to cancel the day one order that hadn't even shipped by mid-day).

Regardless, surprised and delighted that B&H came through yet again. I'm loving this camera. The blue slant is slightly evident but (to me) irrelevant.

Meantime, I find the private-labeled Blackmagic battery quite mysterious. From whom did they source it? Literally, there doesn't appear to be a single manufacturer on the planet cranking out a NP-F550/F570 equivalent battery above 3000 mAh besides this private labeled generic that Blackmagic ships. I fear it might be that regrettable situation of the spec overrating the actual proven mAh/kWh, and all those numerous 2900 mAh generics might be the exact same thing (I went for a pair of Kastars at 2900 mAh each for my battery grip arriving by FedEx tomorrow)...

John Brawley

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 5:14 am

focuspulling wrote:
Meantime, I find the private-labeled Blackmagic battery quite mysterious. From whom did they source it? Literally, there doesn't appear to be a single manufacturer on the planet cranking out a NP-F550/F570 equivalent battery above 3000 mAh besides this private labeled generic that Blackmagic ships. I fear it might be that regrettable situation of the spec overrating the actual proven mAh/kWh, and all those numerous 2900 mAh generics might be the exact same thing (I went for a pair of Kastars at 2900 mAh each for my battery grip arriving by FedEx tomorrow)...

As long as they work?

My BMD branded 7.4V 3500MH battery lasts me more than 60 mins of recording time (actually 72mins last time I tested)

I have some other hawk-woods 2500MH batteries that are 7.2V. Maybe the voltage makes the difference.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

JMosley

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 6:34 am

robedge wrote:B&H just sent out an e-mail (8:00 p.m. NY time) saying that the camera is in stock and available. That presumably means that there are more than enough to fill current orders. Adorama still has it on preorder.

stock.jpeg

I put in order for it at Adorama 3 hrs it after it was announced on 2/17. My order is listed on backorder and the site still lists the item on pre-order. Meanwhile both amazon and B&H both list it being in stock. I’m beginning to worry that I may made a mistake ordering from Adorama :(
Last edited by JMosley on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Niessner

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 7:00 am

focuspulling wrote:

Well, Kinefinity does sell such batteries too. -> GripBAT 2S

@ John
No the voltage difference is too small. But those new gen are able to provide up to 5A load, that means the PCC6K Pro does not put such a strain onto the battery like the PCC4K/6k onto the LPE6 type batteries.
If you have to drive it on the edge it lasts less.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

timbutt2

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 7:45 am

My estimate is buying the Blackmagic Branded 7.4V 3500MH Battery would mean buying 10 total for a 10-Hour Day. With the Battery in the camera and 2 in the Battery Grip at all times you should get through the day no problem and still charge some batteries while shooting if you're in a location with power solutions.

Reminder that working with heavier power hog cameras you could only get 2 hours and 30 minutes with a 150Wh battery and that means spending equally as much money for more of those.

10 X $55 = $550

Most 150Wh Batteries cost around $473+ depending on the brand. With my G2 I get around 3.5Hrs per 150Wh Battery, and I have 4 totaling 14 hours if I'm lucky. And, I could power additional accessories eating at power.

So I see no complaint with the cost of the 7.4V 3500MH Battery, nor how many you need for a full day.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 7:52 am

focuspulling wrote:Meantime, I find the private-labeled Blackmagic battery quite mysterious. From whom did they source it? Literally, there doesn't appear to be a single manufacturer on the planet cranking out a NP-F550/F570 equivalent battery above 3000 mAh besides this private labeled generic that Blackmagic ships. I fear it might be that regrettable situation of the spec overrating the actual proven mAh/kWh, and all those numerous 2900 mAh generics might be the exact same thing (I went for a pair of Kastars at 2900 mAh each for my battery grip arriving by FedEx tomorrow)...

The batteries have been specially spec-ed with high-capacity cells.

focuspulling

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 7:55 am

Kristian Lam wrote:
focuspulling wrote:Meantime, I find the private-labeled Blackmagic battery quite mysterious. From whom did they source it? Literally, there doesn't appear to be a single manufacturer on the planet cranking out a NP-F550/F570 equivalent battery above 3000 mAh besides this private labeled generic that Blackmagic ships. I fear it might be that regrettable situation of the spec overrating the actual proven mAh/kWh, and all those numerous 2900 mAh generics might be the exact same thing (I went for a pair of Kastars at 2900 mAh each for my battery grip arriving by FedEx tomorrow)...

The batteries have been specially spec-ed with high-capacity cells.

Sounds definitive, and that's really innovative (another example of BM hitting a first on the market). At major retailers, other brands definitely max out at 2900 mAh and the median is in the low 2000s.

Drew_69

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 9:28 am

These are the highest I’ve found and do a similar job as the BM branded ones.

https://www.proav.co.uk/hawk-woods-dv-f590

Paul Jonathan

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 10:47 am

I have no affiliation to Patona other than being a happy customer, but I can highly recommend their Patona Protect NP-F battery. It is rated at 3500mah. While Kim is right and the battery rating doesn't mean to much, in my testing they only lasted 3-4 minutes less than the BMD branded ones and can be had at a fraction of the price for 15-20 bucks. I have purchased 7 of them and together with the included one that is enough for me for a whole day of shooting.

In terms of charger I can highly recommend the Kinefinity dual USB-C charger. It is quite pricey but it is the fastest charger by quite a margin and it actually charges an NP-F battery faster than the 6K Pro discharges it.

Creative110

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 1:15 pm

Paul Jonathan wrote:I have no affiliation to Patona other than being a happy customer, but I can highly recommend their Patona Protect NP-F battery. It is rated at 3500mah. While Kim is right and the battery rating doesn't mean to much, in my testing they only lasted 3-4 minutes less than the BMD branded ones and can be had at a fraction of the price for 15-20 bucks. I have purchased 7 of them and together with the included one that is enough for me for a whole day of shooting.

In terms of charger I can highly recommend the Kinefinity dual USB-C charger. It is quite pricey but it is the fastest charger by quite a margin and it actually charges an NP-F battery faster than the 6K Pro discharges it.

Where did you buy the batteries? I’m having trouble finding them in the States.

focuspulling

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 6:53 pm

With marginally lower capacity but ideal value, I'm a big fan of this perfect combo:

https://amzn.to/3rKuBTT

Reason is, the capacities sneak up to 3000 mAh, whilst the charger is the best I've used, with faster speed, USB-C versatility in addition to its included DC adapter, and gravity-assisted secure docking of three batteries at once. And three's the magic number when you've got the battery grip too.

WahWay

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 7:44 pm

BMD battery is almost the same as Kinefinity GripBat 2S.
Baxxtar is equal to it despite being 7.2v and 3100mAh but had they made a 3500mAh it could have beaten it by around 10 minutes.

robedge

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 11:39 pm

Pro AV on battery life and the battery grip. This is the first in a series of videos responding to the main questions that customers have about the camera.

Substance from 00:50.

Lee Mackreath

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 11:37 am

Great in depth review here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee Mackreath

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 2:28 pm

Really useful data chart created by CVP around media and data rates

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/ ... A/htmlview

Lee Mackreath

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 2:30 pm

Update from Matteo

Lee Mackreath

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 2:31 pm

robedge

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 3:53 pm

Lee Mackreath wrote:Update from Matteo

This is the link to Bertoli's YouTube Community page that Lee's screen captures are from: https://www.youtube.com/c/MatteobertoliMe/community

Bertoli says that he's returning the two 6K Pro cameras that he bought, per this exchange with Lee:

bertoli.jpeg
bertoli.jpeg (180.86 KiB) Viewed 41191 times

robedge

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 4:06 pm

Bertoli has also updated his YouTube Community page post to reflect and explain his decision to keep his original 6K and return the two 6K Pros:

bertoli 2.jpeg
bertoli 2.jpeg (418.96 KiB) Viewed 41169 times

Paul Jonathan

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 4:43 pm

Just wanted to report back that the Bluestar #6009 fits perfectly on the EVF with the large left or right eyecup. Received it today in the mail and gives a great third point of contact.

Marshall Harrington

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 5:10 pm

Creative110 wrote:
Paul Jonathan wrote:I have no affiliation to Patona other than being a happy customer, but I can highly recommend their Patona Protect NP-F battery. It is rated at 3500mah. While Kim is right and the battery rating doesn't mean to much, in my testing they only lasted 3-4 minutes less than the BMD branded ones and can be had at a fraction of the price for 15-20 bucks. I have purchased 7 of them and together with the included one that is enough for me for a whole day of shooting.

Where did you buy the batteries? I’m having trouble finding them in the States.
DITTO THAT.

Everyone seems to be out of them. The same with the battery grip as well.

Anyone have any ideas on where they might be available now?

THANKS!!!

Paul Jonathan

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 5:46 pm

Marshall Harrington wrote:
Creative110 wrote:Where did you buy the batteries? I’m having trouble finding them in the States.
DITTO THAT.

Everyone seems to be out of them. The same with the battery grip as well.

Anyone have any ideas on where they might be available now?

THANKS!!!

I am located in EU, they were available on Ebay here. I realize Patona is a German brand so they might not be as easily available in the U.S.

Lee Mackreath

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 6:57 pm

To confirm.. will the bmpcc 6k pro accept np-f550 batteries ?.. it states np-f570 batteries on their website but are they actually the same battery??

focuspulling

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 7:17 pm

Lee Mackreath wrote:To confirm.. will the bmpcc 6k pro accept np-f550 batteries ?.. it states np-f570 batteries on their website but are they actually the same battery??

Yes, they're the same in form factor, and the 500-series naming distinctions became irrelevant some years ago.

Mücahit Özcakir

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 9:01 pm

Hi,

I received my 6K Pro a few days ago and love the camera. If there were not the problems such as the well-known problem with the much too blue display. In addition, I have the problem that I can not use luts. I can only use the preinstalled luts. When I want to use my own luts, strange things happen:

1. the camera always puts the word Settings in front of the lut name.
2. I can select the luts but not activate them. When I want to activate one, nothing happens and the default lut remains active.
3. i can no longer delete my custom luts.

I can install and activate the luts on the P6K without any problems.

Does anyone also have the problem with the luts?

Jamie LeJeune

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 9:12 pm

Mücahit Özcakir wrote: Does anyone also have the problem with the luts?

This is a known issue with the 6K Pocket Pro and the current firmware. BMD has stated that it will be fixed in an upcoming firmware update.
Last edited by Jamie LeJeune on Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Matt White

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 11:00 pm

We ordered from B&H on announcement day, and got our camera, battery and viewfinder yesterday.

It's bigger than I expected, and the viewfinder is smaller.

focuspulling

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 7:59 pm

BMPCC6KPro Blue Tint.jpg
BMPCC6KPro Blue Tint.jpg (861.19 KiB) Viewed 40715 times

Not easy to see from this smartphone snapshot because of relative exposure, but the blue tint problem actually caused problems for me this weekend. For livestreams, you want accurate color monitoring since you can't save that for later adjusting BRAW recordings - after all, it's live. (The two screens looked very different, and I couldn't activate live monitoring on the computer during these calibration steps.) I REALLY hope Blackmagic fixes this. I ended up replacing the livestreams with the backup of my local camera files, but that took a LOT of time editing and wrangling media (besides the other reason that YouTube Live severely degrades quality, a whole other matter):

Akpe Ododoru

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 10:03 pm

Might just have to pick up a "Kinefinity dual USB-C charger"
Thanks for the recommendation
Akpe Ododoru
Cinematographer
London
www.akpe.co.uk

John Richard

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 11:39 pm

focuspulling wrote:
BMPCC6KPro Blue Tint.jpg

Not easy to see from this smartphone snapshot because of relative exposure, but the blue tint problem actually caused problems for me this weekend. For livestreams, you want accurate color monitoring since you can't save that for later adjusting BRAW recordings - after all, it's live. (The two screens looked very different, and I couldn't activate live monitoring on the computer during these calibration steps.) I REALLY hope Blackmagic fixes this. I ended up replacing the livestreams with the backup of my local camera files, but that took a LOT of time editing and wrangling media (besides the other reason that YouTube Live severely degrades quality, a whole other matter):

Wouldn't it have been easier to just:
1. adjust out the known blue tint in the cameras before the shoot (until the firmware fix by BM)

2. Using Resolve and Remote Grade Follows and grade out the blue to neutral. Then all the other clips shot on same camera would have followed this blue grade reduction.

focuspulling

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 12:04 am

John Richard wrote:
focuspulling wrote:
BMPCC6KPro Blue Tint.jpg

Wouldn't it have been easier to just:
1. adjust out the known blue tint in the cameras before the shoot (until the firmware fix by BM)

2. Using Resolve and Remote Grade Follows and grade out the blue to neutral. Then all the other clips shot on same camera would have followed this blue grade reduction.

The lighting conditions and according white balance of the space simply can't be predicted; meantime there's currently the perfect storm of my BMPCC6K Pro using Gen. 5 color science, and my BMPCC4K not, so even when I perfectly match color temperatures and hue values by number, no dice! The elephant in the room is that even if there are alternative hacks, better that the monitor gets software-calibrated via firmware update.

John Richard

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 1:38 am

Do you use Resolve?
No knock on you at all.
It is a big help though. I am a Premiere person but am moving away to Resolve as it solves a lot of problems and is great for the ATEM ISO that auto generates Resolve projects .drp files.

Michel Rabe

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 1:28 pm

I'm a die hard BMD fan since the OG camera, but they keep being a little messy concerning their cameras. C'mon mates :)
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography