Iris control problem on Laowa 10mm f/2 Zero-D MFT

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ecko1882

Iris control problem on Laowa 10mm f/2 Zero-D MFT

PostThu Feb 18, 2021 5:16 am

I just got the new Laowa 10mm f/2 Zero-D MFT and put it on my pocket 4k. It is supposed to be a MFT certfified lens and therefore should be able to be controlled via the camera. When I put it on and try to change the iris nothing happens. Sometimes it clicks over and over until turn it off and then back on. I have the latest 6.9.6 for my 4k.

My camera should be able to control my iris correct?
Any ideas about the repeated clicking noise? Brand new lens, just got it a few hours ago.

rayymlai

Re: Iris control problem on Laowa 10mm f/2 Zero-D MFT

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 4:24 pm

you should be able to change the iris like other lens, e.g.
1. touch the focal length number (e.g. f2) on the screen, and change using the touch screen.
2. press the iris button on the camera.

This laowa 10mm is a new MFT lens with electronic control, which means that you can only change the iris or f number by using the camera.

I change the iris or f-number often. alternatively, you can use auto-exposure with iris+shutter. it will change it for you automatically.

PS. i have a different problem with laowa 10mm - it does not focus well. i replaced it twice and troubleshooted with laowa tech support. they think it's my bpcc4k issue, probably a flange distance gap. if i press the lens toward my bmpcc4k body (after mounted), i can see the focus assistance (red color) and the lens focuses well temporarily (until i release my pressure on the lens).

If i use the 10mm lens on gh5, it's sharp.

i am interested if you see similar issue.

Return to Cinematography