BMPCC 6K Pro IR filter?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Peter Clausen

BMPCC 6K Pro IR filter?

PostFri Feb 19, 2021 8:16 pm

Hello

The motorized ND filters are a welcome addition, but one thing remains unclear:
Are all levels of ND (Clear, 2, 4 & 6 stops) including IR filter? Or only the reduced levels (2, 4 & 6 stops)?

Thanks

Paul Jonathan

Re: BMPCC 6K Pro IR filter?

PostFri Feb 19, 2021 9:34 pm

Would love some insight on this as well. Perhaps JB could chime in?

kevin_p

PostSat Feb 20, 2021 6:33 pm

Also interested.

John Griffin

PostSat Feb 20, 2021 7:20 pm

AFAIK you will not need IR filtration (above the one on the sensor) if no ND is being applied.

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Feb 20, 2021 9:28 pm

If you put ir cut without nd you change most of red and brown color, you loose many blending of color.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Tom Roper

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 2:15 am

From the BMD website for Pocket 6K Pro:

The IR filters have been designed to filter both optical and IR wavelengths evenly, eliminating IR contamination of the images.

Howard Roll

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 2:41 am

Tom Roper wrote:From the BMD website for Pocket 6K Pro:

The IR filters have been designed to filter both optical and IR wavelengths evenly, eliminating IR contamination of the images.

That is misleading copy, it should read "The ND filters have...both visible and IR.....". An IR filter that cuts visible light is by definition an ND filter.

It's a common misunderstanding that BM cameras don't have IR filtration. Without one the IR contamination would be so extreme as to render the image unusable. Whether or not the P6kP features BM's typically weak filtration or opts for a more aggressive path remains to be seen. My guess is that it's the same filter glass from the 12k.

Good Luck

Uli Plank

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 3:49 am

When I installed my RAWlite OLPF, I could still see a difference on critical materials when strong IR was present vs. the regular clear filter in the wheel of my UMP 4.6K (1. gen).
But then, it's a difficult balance between losing some deep red and blocking all IR.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

John Brawley

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 5:21 am

Short answer is, they are the same level of IR filter as the G2 and I find that adequate for me and use them as is all the time.

It's more accurate to call them "full spectrum" ND filters. They aren't specifically IR cut, it's just that like with most modern ND filter formulas, they talk about cutting IR as much as they cut visible light.

So Arri for example now have FSND or Full Spectrum Neutral Density Filters.
https://www.arri.com/en/company/press/p ... nal-filter

They aren't IRND filters per se, they just now equally cut IR with visible.

This language reflects a bit of a philosophical difference.

What USED to happen with ND filters in the film days is that the visible light was cut BUT, the IR wasn't affected. Film didn't really react so it don't matter AND the light levels meant 1.2 was almost the heaviest ND you'd ever need.

A heavier the visible light cut, like say a 1.8ND of 6 stops, would have the same amount of IR light as a 0.6 2 stop ND filter. They would reduce the ratio of visible to IR.

When those types of filters are used with digital cameras that have sensors that to VARYING degrees are sensitive to IR, there is more IR compared to visible RELATIVELY speaking, so when you use heavier ND's it APPEARS that the IR is terrible compared to a ND6. It's actually the same amount, just that when you reduce the visible light the IR now affects the image more.

Now most modern ND filters are starting to be designed not to be IR cut, but to be full spectrum, therefore, cutting IR equally to the visible light.

Hoya Pro, NISI Lee CinePro, Mitomo TrueND are all similar full spectrum designs.

Seperate to that is the choice some camera makers have about how much IR to eliminate from their sensors with the sensor stack.

BMD have traditionally used a more mild IR cut, with the logic being that you actually don't want all your IR cut where it's so aggressive it affects your colour science and eliminates visible red that you want, something that can effect skin tones. Some early IR filters on Alexa for example made everyone green, which is kind of solving one problem, by introducing another.

Anyway, if you're happy with the IR cut the G2 filters have then these are the same in the P6K. I personally don't feel the need for additional IR cut. Some people MIGHT, but it's not going to be readily visible even in worse case scenarios. We're now talking very subtle differences in small degrees of difference.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

WahWay

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 8:33 am

So the days of sticking a Hoya IR Cut filter over their lenses many people were doing are not a good idea anymore? Probably explains how some of my indoor images look greener.

John Brawley

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 8:52 am

WahWay wrote:So the days of sticking a Hoya IR Cut filter over their lenses many people were doing are not a good idea anymore? Probably explains how some of my indoor images look greener.

It’s such a subjective thing. It also depends on how you shoot. This sounds strange but because we can’t see IR light, you don’t know how much is around. Some light sources emit a lot and some don’t.

This makes it very hard to objectively test for.

My suggestion is to test yourself in your own shooting circumstances and workflow.

I personally do use FSND filter made by Lee, but more because I want individual stop control rather than 2, 4 or 6 stop control that internals give you. And I don’t mix internal with external.

This was with Alexa but look at the difference in these tests I did a few years ago. I tried to make an IR heavy light source, using a large tungsten light. Look at what happens to the colour and the IR pollution in the blacks. In this case the panavision brand filters are made by Lee.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/johnbrawley/dDQaCj
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

WahWay

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 9:16 am

John Brawley wrote: And I don’t mix internal with external.

So what happens if you mix internal NDs with external "full spectrum" NDs such as when using a G2 or Pocket 6k Pro, is there a problem you observed? I can see in situation were I need 8 stops and I slap on an external ND in addition to internal ND.

Howard Roll

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 9:48 am

WahWay wrote:So what happens if you mix internal NDs with external "full spectrum" NDs...

The image gets darker.

Good Luck

WahWay

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 9:59 am

Howard Roll wrote:
WahWay wrote:So what happens if you mix internal NDs with external "full spectrum" NDs...

The image gets darker.

Good Luck

No sh*t Sherlock :lol:

Not really an answer other than pointing to the obvious :roll:
I was asking why JB say he does not mix internal with external ND, is there a problem with mixing?

John Brawley

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 4:20 pm

WahWay wrote:
John Brawley wrote: And I don’t mix internal with external.

So what happens if you mix internal NDs with external "full spectrum" NDs such as when using a G2 or Pocket 6k Pro, is there a problem you observed? I can see in situation were I need 8 stops and I slap on an external ND in addition to internal ND.

It’s just not good practice. You’re mixing up different filter responses. If you’re using IR cuts on top this can also mean you’re grading is inconsistent. You might have a wide shot that’s has a stop deeper with different “coloured” ND. This happens a lot when you use multiple cameras. Trying to match them becomes more difficult if you’re using a mix of ND.

Same for slow motion. You’re grading a shot, looks great. Go to slow motion, you’re now using a different ND combo. You have to maybe start again with the grade.

Just because “neutral” is in the name, doesn’t at all mean that they are. In fact they really aren’t.

That’s why I tend to use external NDs. I can use the exact amount that I want and it eliminates some of these issues.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

WahWay

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 4:55 pm

Do you have a favourite make of external NDs for BMD cameras? Seems that they are not all equal.

John Brawley

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 5:02 pm

WahWay wrote:Do you have a favourite external NDs for BMD cameras? Seems that they are not all equal.

For sure. But you won’t like it :-)

A full set costs more than a p6k.

https://www.adorama.com/lepgcsetpv.html ... dl-gbase-p

But the gold standard now is probably the Arri FSND

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... r_pro.html

I own the Lee filters, I bought them when they first came out. They are really the same as the Panavision rental only ones, so I know my filters have a better chance of matching Panavisions filters when I rent from them.

I have found that Hoya PROND are pretty good for screw ins if that’s what you’re using. I have a full set of those as well.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

John Brawley

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 5:05 pm

And I forgot I did this a couple of years ago. A little test with the Lee.

https://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2017/ ... d-filters/

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

WahWay

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 5:23 pm

I have a set of Formatt Hitech Firecrest IRND but they are the photography ones rather than the cinema. It looks fine when using wide angle lenses but for some reason in longer focal length from 50mm onwards it get softer.

Phil999

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 7:11 pm

thank you very much John for your insights.

Scott Stacy

PostSat May 22, 2021 3:25 am

Has anyone had the opportunity to test the Tiffen Water White Glass NATural IRND? Looking for 82mm for my SLR Magic MicroPrimes. These are supposed to be full spectrum. I have not had a lot of luck finding the Hoya ProND filter, which I believe is full-spectrum. I sent Hoya a message. So, we shall see what they say about a retailer.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 17.4

John Brawley

PostSat May 22, 2021 3:44 am

Amazon ?

Hoya 82 mm Pro ND 200 Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HF6HDTI/re ... 04N84ZFEY3

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Scott Stacy

PostSat May 22, 2021 4:55 pm

Thanks, JB! Didn't think to look on Amazon. They have 2 in 82mm.

Do you know anything about the Tiffen NATural ND? It's full-spectrum and the IR data filtering looks pretty even across the spectrum of ND.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

Tyler Edwards

PostSat May 22, 2021 6:13 pm

If you don't want IR contamination on the Pocket 6K Pro, you definitely need IR-cut in front of you lens even at clear ND level. The internal IR filters don't cut enough (if any) and my best guess is to maintain the best color fidelity? I also get the same results on my G2 FWIW.

I personally use Hoya UV-IR Cut in front of all of my lenses, but there might be better options out there.

In this video at 9:21 mark, you can see my internal ND tests that show the IR contamination and ND shift.
www.youtube.com/tylerfedwards

John Brawley

PostSat May 22, 2021 6:27 pm

Scott Stacy wrote:Thanks, JB! Didn't think to look on Amazon. They have 2 in 82mm.

Do you know anything about the Tiffen NATural ND? It's full-spectrum and the IR data filtering looks pretty even across the spectrum of ND.

I haven’t used them.

Honestly the last three generations of Tiffen IRND filters haven’t been very good at all. That’s why I’ve avoided them.

Again, there’s a difference between IR cut filters and ND filters that are full spectrum.

BMDs sensor cover glass has a very mild IR cut. If you use a heavy ND that cuts a lot of visible light but no IR, then the amount of filtration won’t be enough because the IR is out of balance with the visible.

BMDs internal NDs are also full spectrum, so they do cut IR as they change but at the same low threshold.

IR filters cut IR at a specific point. This can change brand to brand.

Full spectrum cuts all light equally by the same amount / ratio including IR.

So the amount of IR cut with IRNDs is the same no matter how much ND is used.

Full spectrum cuts IR based on how heavy the ND is so it changes depending on which ND you choose. A 2.1 ND cuts more IR than a 0.6 ND but essentially try’s to maintain the same visible / IR ratio.

If you cut too much IR then you get very green images.

IR cut is more like a roll off. Like in audio it often doesn’t sound right if you just take a whole section of the frequency out. What you’re trying to do is balance.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Scott Stacy

PostSat May 22, 2021 9:46 pm

I have never used the old Tiffen IRNDs because the test results were very ugly. Maybe Hook did the tests?

My friend Illya, at HRC, was raving about the new FS Tiffen's, so I am going to give them a try. Plus, I have not been able to put a set of Hoya's together. If they are bad, I can return them.

Thanks for your review of the difference between IR cut and FS. I appreciate the efforts you put into these posts and your tests. I actually bought my set of SLR Magic APO MicroPrimes based on the tests you did a couple of years ago with the original APOs. So ... thanks.

S
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

dondidnod

PostSat May 22, 2021 11:35 pm

Scott Stacy wrote:Has anyone had the opportunity to test the Tiffen Water White Glass NATural IRND?

An IRND filter will show it's true colors, (even if shooting a black and white image), when pushed hard in post.

For comparison to a non variable ND filter, here is a crop of a Tiffen Water White Glass IRND 1.8 Filter (6-Stop) filter. I added dehaze at +75, saturation at +75 and reset the temperature to 4650. The exposure was adjusted to -.30 in Photoshop. This was facing away from the sun.

Re: Which ND filter for BMPCC4K?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=114699&p=644206&hilit=+Tiffen+Water+White+Glass+IRND+1.8+Filter+#p644206

rick.lang

PostSat May 22, 2021 11:41 pm

Scott, I did watch a video from Tiffen that shows they look to be very neutral and accurate in terms of f-stops. If I remember correctly, they admit the ND2.1 is a little off but you may not use that strength often and it’s nothing that can’t be corrected in post.

It seems more IRNDs in a price range I’d consider typically have a poor result around ND1.8 or ND2.1. There must be an optical explanation for that since it’s common. Both my circular SLR Magic IRND and NiSi rectangular have one filter that’s not quite right around there. Both are not serious issues in my mind. Tiffen and BMD cameras have not been a match made in Heaven in the past with strong colour casts. But these new NATural filters look promising.
Rick Lang

John Brawley

PostSat May 22, 2021 11:57 pm

The higher the filter factor the higher the degree of difficulty and the less tolerance in manufacturing.

There’s some great examples here too

Which I’ve linked to previously.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Scott Stacy

PostSun May 23, 2021 12:48 am

rick.lang wrote:Scott, I did watch a video from Tiffen that shows they look to be very neutral and accurate in terms of f-stops. If I remember correctly, they admit the ND2.1 is a little off but you may not use that strength often and it’s nothing that can’t be corrected in post.

It seems more IRNDs in a price range I’d consider typically have a poor result around ND1.8 or ND2.1. There must be an optical explanation for that since it’s common. Both my circular SLR Magic IRND and NiSi rectangular have one filter that’s not quite right around there. Both are not serious issues in my mind. Tiffen and BMD cameras have not been a match made in Heaven in the past with strong colour casts. But these new NATural filters look promising.

Hey Rick ... I have seen the NATural videos, which looked pretty good but not very professional. We shall see how they work. I avoided Tiffen in the past other than Glimmerglass because of the horrible color cast. Fingers crossed.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

Scott Stacy

PostSun May 23, 2021 1:01 am

John Brawley wrote:The higher the filter factor the higher the degree of difficulty and the less tolerance in manufacturing.

There’s some great examples here too

Which I’ve linked to previously.

JB

Yes ... I recall this test and it's why I bought Firecrest - although I had some QC problems that were eventually redressed. I sold those 4 years ago to a buddy.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

Robert Niessner

PostSun May 23, 2021 7:36 am

I am using the Schneider RHOdium FSND filters:
https://schneiderkreuznach.com/en/cine- ... rs/rhodium
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

rick.lang

PostSun May 23, 2021 2:02 pm

Compared to just a few years ago, we seem to have several excellent options for IRND filters and IR Cut when needed. A great time for folks that are just getting into cinematography or feel it’s time to upgrade their capabilities as we prepare for 2022 and a return to high demand for our services. That’s already true in many areas for film production, but will soon spread to most other areas over the next several months.
Rick Lang

Scott Stacy

PostSun May 23, 2021 3:17 pm

Tyler Edwards wrote:If you don't want IR contamination on the Pocket 6K Pro, you definitely need IR-cut in front of you lens even at clear ND level. The internal IR filters don't cut enough (if any) and my best guess is to maintain the best color fidelity? I also get the same results on my G2 FWIW.

I personally use Hoya UV-IR Cut in front of all of my lenses, but there might be better options out there.

In this video at 9:21 mark, you can see my internal ND tests that show the IR contamination and ND shift.

Hey Tyler ... thank you for sharing your video. A nice overview of the 6k Pro; and, specifically regarding IR contamination. I have a couple of Hoya UV-IR Cut filters (one leftover from the BMCC days). Out of all the cut filters, it is the best. However, I have been on the hunt for a full-spectrum solution set that does not cost 4-5k. I'm going to give the Tiffen FS NATural NDs a shot. Hopefully, it will provide a nice incremental IR cut as ND increases. Will shall see.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

John Brawley

PostTue May 25, 2021 6:51 pm

Scott Stacy wrote: However, I have been on the hunt for a full-spectrum solution set that does not cost 4-5k. I'm going to give the Tiffen FS NATural NDs a shot. Hopefully, it will provide a nice incremental IR cut as ND increases. Will shall see.

These look like great value.

Good pedigree, so they are probably "good".

They ARE half the thickness of a normal ND filter. Half the glass, so a lot less cost :-)

It does mean you might need a special tray (which they include if you buy the full kit)

I think these are very good value. 1K for a full set and the tray included.

https://formatt-hitechusa.com/products/ ... 6245769408

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Scott Stacy

PostWed May 26, 2021 12:14 am

John Brawley wrote:
Scott Stacy wrote: However, I have been on the hunt for a full-spectrum solution set that does not cost 4-5k. I'm going to give the Tiffen FS NATural NDs a shot. Hopefully, it will provide a nice incremental IR cut as ND increases. Will shall see.

These look like great value.

Good pedigree, so they are probably "good".

They ARE half the thickness of a normal ND filter. Half the glass, so a lot less cost :-)

It does mean you might need a special tray (which they include if you buy the full kit)

I think these are very good value. 1K for a full set and the tray included.

JB

John,

I used to have a full set of the early Firecrest IRND filters around 6-7 years ago. I imagine there have been improvements.

Do you have any experience with these or know anyone who has used them?
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

John Brawley

PostWed May 26, 2021 12:31 am

Scott Stacy wrote:

No They only just got announced, there's not been any shipped yet I don't think and they're 6-8 week delivery. I would be tempted, but not right now for me. I imagine they're good, it's Firecrest and they were previously a good match.

But the price is damn good for full spectrum and at that size. Aside from the slight snafu of the non-standard sizing, which for some might be no problem. Just something to be mindful of. Means you have to use a compatible matte box.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Howard Roll

PostWed May 26, 2021 12:47 am

I feel like there were some cherry picked Firecrest Blog sets running around because I went through at least a half dozen filters trying to get a tint free five or six stop and it never happened, a couple other people reported the same. It corroborates what I'm seeing in this video. Four stops and under were perfect, ultimately I combined the 2 and 4 and got much better results than any of the single 5 or 6 stop filters.

Hopefully they have improved, for me life's too short, I'll give someone else a shot.

Good Luck

John Brawley

PostWed May 26, 2021 12:51 am

Howard Roll wrote:I Four stops and under were perfect, ultimately I combined the 2 and 4 and got much better results than any of the single 5 or 6 stop filters.

Hopefully they have improved, for me life's too short, I'll give someone else a shot.

Yeah the 1.5 onwards gets harder and harder to be truly consistent in any brand. It's really only Mitomo, Arri and Lee (Panavision) that I've seen do this well all the way through.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Scott Stacy

PostWed May 26, 2021 2:30 am

John Brawley wrote:
Scott Stacy wrote:

No They only just got announced, there's not been any shipped yet I don't think and they're 6-8 week delivery. I would be tempted, but not right now for me. I imagine they're good, it's Firecrest and they were previously a good match.

But the price is damn good for full spectrum and at that size. Aside from the slight snafu of the non-standard sizing, which for some might be no problem. Just something to be mindful of. Means you have to use a compatible matte box.

JB

Thanks for the tip. As I mentioned above, once I got a good set of the early Firecrest IRNDs after three tries, they worked well.

I was able to take a look at three separate Tiffen NATural IRNDs "tests" - for those following this thread:

Interesting ... .3 looks good but .6 and .9 messed with skin tone in an unpleasing manner. Interestingly, 1.5 and 1.8, things looked better, which was a bit of a surprise. With this being said, I cannot account for the skill level of the OP.

There is always another rabbit hole to go down.

I think I will hold off for a bit, use internal NDs with a Hoya UV IR Cut at 6 stops, and see how the new Firecrest filters test out. The lower weight is attractive, as this rig will be mostly for handheld.

Update: I order the Firecrests :lol: So, much for living with what I've got.
Last edited by Scott Stacy on Wed May 26, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

Bromine 18

PostWed May 26, 2021 9:58 am

Scott Stacy wrote:Interesting ... .3 looks good but .6 and .9 messed with skin tone in an unpleasing manner.

I have been using the 0.9 and 1.5 NATural NDs, and haven been satisfied with them.

How exactly did the 0.9 affect the skin tone perceptually?

Scott Stacy

PostWed May 26, 2021 12:21 pm

Bromine 18 wrote:
Scott Stacy wrote:Interesting ... .3 looks good but .6 and .9 messed with skin tone in an unpleasing manner.

I have been using the 0.9 and 1.5 NATural NDs, and haven been satisfied with them.

How exactly did the 0.9 affect the skin tone perceptually?

These were not my tests but what I observed was darker skin to be a bit washed out with a little green tinge.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

Scott Stacy

PostWed May 26, 2021 11:54 pm

John Brawley wrote:Short answer is, they are the same level of IR filter as the G2 and I find that adequate for me and use them as is all the time.

It's more accurate to call them "full spectrum" ND filters. They aren't specifically IR cut, it's just that like with most modern ND filter formulas, they talk about cutting IR as much as they cut visible light.

So Arri for example now have FSND or Full Spectrum Neutral Density Filters.
https://www.arri.com/en/company/press/p ... nal-filter

They aren't IRND filters per se, they just now equally cut IR with visible.

This language reflects a bit of a philosophical difference.

What USED to happen with ND filters in the film days is that the visible light was cut BUT, the IR wasn't affected. Film didn't really react so it don't matter AND the light levels meant 1.2 was almost the heaviest ND you'd ever need.

A heavier the visible light cut, like say a 1.8ND of 6 stops, would have the same amount of IR light as a 0.6 2 stop ND filter. They would reduce the ratio of visible to IR.

When those types of filters are used with digital cameras that have sensors that to VARYING degrees are sensitive to IR, there is more IR compared to visible RELATIVELY speaking, so when you use heavier ND's it APPEARS that the IR is terrible compared to a ND6. It's actually the same amount, just that when you reduce the visible light the IR now affects the image more.

Now most modern ND filters are starting to be designed not to be IR cut, but to be full spectrum, therefore, cutting IR equally to the visible light.

Hoya Pro, NISI Lee CinePro, Mitomo TrueND are all similar full spectrum designs.

Seperate to that is the choice some camera makers have about how much IR to eliminate from their sensors with the sensor stack.

BMD have traditionally used a more mild IR cut, with the logic being that you actually don't want all your IR cut where it's so aggressive it affects your colour science and eliminates visible red that you want, something that can effect skin tones. Some early IR filters on Alexa for example made everyone green, which is kind of solving one problem, by introducing another.

Anyway, if you're happy with the IR cut the G2 filters have then these are the same in the P6K. I personally don't feel the need for additional IR cut. Some people MIGHT, but it's not going to be readily visible even in worse case scenarios. We're now talking very subtle differences in small degrees of difference.

JB
FYI ... From Glenn Nash at Hoya "The ProND filter line has been discontinued in the United States for some time now, and they were replaced by the Solas IRND filter line." $152.00 US
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?q ... _27%3A82mm
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

Robert Castiglione

PostThu May 27, 2021 12:16 am

I am now usingthe Hoya pro ND are excellent.
Rob Castiglione
robcastiglione.com

John Brawley

PostFri May 28, 2021 2:38 am

IN case anyone was interested, HotRod cameras are doing some good deals on LEE IRND filters.

I use the Lee filters (which are really Panavision)

I have no affiliation with Hot Rod or Lee, just saw the good deal.

https://hotrodcameras.com/lee-filters-spring-deal/

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

dondidnod

PostFri May 28, 2021 4:42 pm

John Brawley wrote:I think these are very good value. 1K for a full set and the tray included.

JB

Until June 1, the Formatt Hitech USA website has 20% off with code MEMORIAL20.

Clearance items are excluded.

Scott Stacy

PostSat May 29, 2021 3:46 pm

dondidnod wrote:
John Brawley wrote:I think these are very good value. 1K for a full set and the tray included.

JB

Until June 1, the Formatt Hitech USA website has 20% off with code MEMORIAL20.

Clearance items are excluded.

Thanks for the tip. Canceled my B&H order and ordered the Ultra Cine Superslim IRND set for $805.00. Saved around $200.00.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

WahWay

PostMon May 31, 2021 6:09 pm

I'm steadily building up a collection of Hoya ProND. The IQ improvement is quite noticeable compare to variable ND with IR cut. Too many glass stacking cause so much problems.

John Griffin

PostMon May 31, 2021 6:15 pm

WahWay wrote:I'm steadily building up a collection of Hoya ProND. The IQ improvement is quite noticeable compare to variable ND with IR cut. Too many glass stacking cause so much problems.

+ variable highlight colour shifts and a general 'deadening' of the image - never going back to VND's.......

John Brawley

PostMon May 31, 2021 6:37 pm

Variable NDs destroy your image. Even good ones. It’s how they work.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles
Next

Return to Cinematography